Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ADHD - Should I Quit?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:37 pm
I've been at my office for three years. I love the actual work but the environment has changed and I no longer have coworkers I enjoy being around. As I have ADHD and a very creative mind, I find it impossible to focus for more than 20 minutes to an hour at a time and have found that with time, I am wasting more and more company time spacing out or doing pointless internet browsing. What should I do? Any tips for somehow drastically improving my focus and productivity? Should I start looking for a non-office job? Or should I go back on ADHD medication, which would require bc as well? Would love to hear your opinion.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:38 pm
are they happy with you? If so don't change.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:16 pm
ectomorph wrote:
are they happy with you? If so don't change.

They are very happy with me but
A. they don't know how much company time is being lost due to my distractability
B. I am not very happy with them at this point, probably as a result of compromised environment, feelings of failure and other, smaller issues (that are bound to happen anywhere)

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:18 pm
Can you find a job better suited to you easily?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:25 pm
Most of us work for money. Do you need the cash?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:14 pm
One of the best things for anyone with ADHD is a list. Here's a guideline for one you might find helpful. Be very specific.

Pros - what do you enjoy about your current job, and what are you good at?

Cons - what's boring you at your current job, and what do you dislike doing?

Brainstorming - what might work to make the cons better, or improve on the pros? Are there any ways you can do this? What can't be changed, and what has the possibility to be changed if you think creatively?

Brainstorming #2 - if you left this job, what would you like to do? What professional dreams do you have? What steps would you have to take to realize them?

Evaluating - Rank all the brainstorming in order of desirability (put numbers, with #1 being what you like most) and feasibility (put letters, with A being the most easily achievable).

Then, try it out!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:32 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Can you find a job better suited to you easily?

I don't know yet but am thinking of looking into it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:18 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Most of us work for money. Do you need the cash?

Absolutely. But I would try to find another, more ADHD-brain suited job.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:19 pm
imasinger wrote:
One of the best things for anyone with ADHD is a list. Here's a guideline for one you might find helpful. Be very specific.

Pros - what do you enjoy about your current job, and what are you good at?

Cons - what's boring you at your current job, and what do you dislike doing?

Brainstorming - what might work to make the cons better, or improve on the pros? Are there any ways you can do this? What can't be changed, and what has the possibility to be changed if you think creatively?

Brainstorming #2 - if you left this job, what would you like to do? What professional dreams do you have? What steps would you have to take to realize them?

Evaluating - Rank all the brainstorming in order of desirability (put numbers, with #1 being what you like most) and feasibility (put letters, with A being the most easily achievable).

Then, try it out!

Wow, this is super helpful, thank you! Will be working my way through this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics