Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Meningococo

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 9:56 am
Did you get and/or give your child the vaccine for this? I think it's somewhat new or maybe just here. Right now here it's not mandatory and since it cost a lot of money, I didn't give it. My ds got a paper from college mentioning this vaccine. A college in NY. They say it's not mandatory.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:03 am
Definitely not new in the US. My pediatrician strongly recommended it when I was a teen, about 20 years ago, so I got it.

mommyhood

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:33 am
It was mandatory for sleepaway camp when I was a kid. My kids will get it when they're old enough, I believe the school requires it. It's especially recommended for kids going to camp or living in dorms.
If cost is a factor, she can likely get the shot here. The out of pocket cost for vaccines is pretty minimal.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 10:57 am
As someone who had meningitis as a teen and almost cvs died, it's a REALLY good idea.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:01 am
Years ago there was a case of meningitis in a boys summer camp and one kid actually died. My brothers were there that summer and really freaked out. My parents made sure to give us the vaccine after that. It's strongly recommended for dorm and communal living situations like sleepaway camps since meningitis seems to spread more easily in crowded conditions.

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 15 2019, 11:04 am
Thank you very much, I will try to make sure they get it.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:28 am
So, I went to the doctor yesterday and asked him about the vaccine. He said that my child did get the vaccine for the a, c, w, and y strand when he was about 10. He said now here in Argentina there is another one for the b strand and is not given in a lot of countries and it's not mandatory here as of yet anyway. My ds will be going to a dorm in the states. It's a very expensive vaccine, about $75 a dose and would need two dosages. I need it it for more than one child too. I'm not sure what to do. Any insight? TIA

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:06 am
In NJ, colleges gave a paper about it but it wasn't mandatory. It's quite rare-it makes the news when it happens. A kid died from it even though he was vaccinated-that's what they said on the radio, don't yell at me.

I never took it or gave it.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:23 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
In NJ, colleges gave a paper about it but it wasn't mandatory. It's quite rare-it makes the news when it happens. A kid died from it even though he was vaccinated-that's what they said on the radio, don't yell at me.

I never took it or gave it.

Thank you. Anyone else?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics