Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What do I serve, vegan?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Ask them to bring food

Unfortunately they are not frum. Don't think that would work in my kitchen.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:07 pm
double post

Last edited by dankbar on Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:08 pm
fruits, beans, lentils, legumes, chic peas, peas, sweet potato, butternut squash are all starchy veg & are NOT low carb

All grains are carbs including wheat, spelt, oats, rye, quinoa, rice

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:14 pm
Many of the vegans I know eat very large quantities of vegetables and don't obsess about mains/ sides/ proteins. So mostly various salads and cooked vegetables. But you should definitely find out the preferences of your own guests.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:15 pm
all these have carbs & gluten pastas, breads, cereal, some flours have both, farina, & of course all cookies/cakes

any type of sugars is carbs even honey

tichellady

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:19 pm
I would just make them soup and salad and maybe side dishes and then make main dishes your family likes. It sounds like they mostly eat vegetables

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:27 pm
you seem extremely limited

you could make cakes/ cookies using almond flour ( if they use eggs) with sugar sub like xylotol or splenda

or you can buy from Carbolicious company in freezer section of grocery ( muffins, rumballs, bread made from almond flour)

There is Zaidy Kaufmans bread made from flax seeds in freezer section of grocery

Are they allowed to use dairy?
there are low carb cheesecakes, low carb yogurts.

I think lots of avocado would be ideal as its a healthy fat. I am thinking that nuts/peanutbutter & chesses might be too salty.

These veg are low carb Lettuce, broccolli, cauliflower, mushrooms, zuchinni, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, spinach.

Good luck

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't even sure where to start.
How would I make the cauliflower rice? What could I stuff mushrooms with? How do I make a vegan cholent? Any ideas for dessert?

Vegan cholent is delicious. Just omit the meat and add oil to the way you usually make it. Because there's no raw meat in there, once the water is added you can taste it with a spoon to see if it is very tasty or still needs more seasoning, even while the cholent is still raw.
Serve fresh fruit and sorbet for dessert.

cbg

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:13 pm
You can sub flax for egg in low carb kugels.

Roasted veggies

Veggie soup (I like it blended)

I make a yummy creamed spinach, the “cream” is actually blended smooth cauliflower and nutritional yeast.

Hemp seed falafel with Israeli salad, really yummy https://www.eatfatbeatfat.com/.....lafel

For Dessert
Chia seed pudding
Coconut cream mousse
You can sub flax for egg in a low carb almond flour brownies/blondies

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 9:43 pm
Im a vegan and eat pretty basic easy to prepare food
For breakfast I’ll have cereal with soy milk and a banana
For lunch I’ll have toasted Ezekiel bread with avocado or with vegan mayo, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado etc and a big salad- purple cabbage, chick peas, etc with olive oil and salt
Fruit for a snack
And for dinner I make lentil soup, vegetable soup, vegan chili (I use canned chick peas, black beans, tomato paste, soy, and sauté with 1 onion and frozen garlic cubes), tofu with a sweet brown sauce with frozen broccoli, veggie burgers, or just another big salad.
I snack on peanut butter with celery, individual packages of nuts, etc.

I prepare pretty simply food for myself and usually feel very satisfied. I hope this helps!

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Im a vegan and eat pretty basic easy to prepare food
For breakfast I’ll have cereal with soy milk and a banana
For lunch I’ll have toasted Ezekiel bread with avocado or with vegan mayo, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado etc and a big salad- purple cabbage, chick peas, etc with olive oil and salt
Fruit for a snack
And for dinner I make lentil soup, vegetable soup, vegan chili (I use canned chick peas, black beans, tomato paste, soy, and sauté with 1 onion and frozen garlic cubes), tofu with a sweet brown sauce with frozen broccoli, veggie burgers, or just another big salad.
I snack on peanut butter with celery, individual packages of nuts, etc.

I prepare pretty simply food for myself and usually feel very satisfied. I hope this helps!

they are also low carb. Most of the foods you mentioned or what vegans would eat have carbs in it.

cereal/soy milk/ banana is hi carb, not allowed on low carb diet.

chic peas & most fruit are hi carb

Low carb fruits are cantaloupe, blueberries/srawberries.

Very hi sugar fruits are bananas/mango/pineapple/ watermelon/ grapes

med carb fruits are like apples

lentils/ black beans/ chic peas is again hi carbs.

Its good that you eat it so you get your protein from plant based food instead of animal protein if you are vegan but it doesnt exactly comply with low carb diet

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:52 am
I think you need to ask them what they DO eat! Most foods are a no-no

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:20 am
I used to have vegan guests (til they became my Non Vaxx Guests and things got complicated). I did all the usual stuff for my family and the other guests including eggs in challot, meat, fish etc - why should we all suffer?! I did extras for them -- more dips (faves included homemade humus, matbucha, beetroot, pesto), a big dish of roast veggies, I got very experimental with sweet potato, red rice (it's originally from Thailand - very tasty with chickpeas mixed in and needs minimal seasoning), red lentil curry, vegan lasagna and a suitable dessert (eggs can be substituted for vinegar, bananas or tehina, depending on the menu).

Kol hakavod for agreeing to host them. It's a tall order.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:26 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I used to have vegan guests (til they became my Non Vaxx Guests and things got complicated). I did all the usual stuff for my family and the other guests including eggs in challot, meat, fish etc - why should we all suffer?! I did extras for them -- more dips (faves included homemade humus, matbucha, beetroot, pesto), a big dish of roast veggies, I got very experimental with sweet potato, red rice (it's originally from Thailand - very tasty with chickpeas mixed in and needs minimal seasoning), red lentil curry, vegan lasagna and a suitable dessert (eggs can be substituted for vinegar, bananas or tehina, depending on the menu).

Kol hakavod for agreeing to host them. It's a tall order.

What did they eat the dips with?

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:32 am
Can you make an activity out of going food shopping together and making some meals and basics together? In this unique setting, she can cook for and with you, which wouldn't work if you visit her.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:40 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
What did they eat the dips with?

I asked them to bring their own vegan challot

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:40 am
Op said low carb, not no carb. This page is meant to be low carb vegan recipes, https://vegangela.com/tag/low-carb/ but I would definitely clarify with your guests what exactly they eat. eg do they eat nuts? tofu? avocados? lentils? beans? chickpeas? edamame? All of these are typical protein sources for vegans, (maybe not avocado) but they do have carbs. I think they are considered"good" carbs, unlike bread or rice or pasta.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:06 am
Flax seed 90 second roll

1/4 cup flaxmeal
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk

Mix in a bowl or mug microwave for 90 seconds

If you want to be fancy you can top it with pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds before microwaving

You can also make a lot and bake them. But it must be in molds since it’s batter and not doughy
You can make a large amount of batter and make a loaf

Roll, soup, salad, supper filling

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:12 am
sim wrote:
This.
I've partially vegan and it is super time consuming. And that's before you figure in the low carb piece.
If you want to have any quality time with these relatives, have them bring some main dishes and just do sides and salads.

I was going to suggest this. I am in some ways, one of the hardest people to feed that I know. I don’t eat processed foods, canola or other seed oils,carbs that are starchy or grainy or fruity or sugar. This pretty much means meat, salt, non sugary spice mixes and animal product. Honestly? I ALWAYS bring my own when invited out. I bring enough for others too. Because to put all my restrictions on a host while really very simple ( plain cooked meat, eggs or fish would be fine with me) is overwhelming to most. They think they need to cook me fancy, when really grilled meat or fish is just fine.

I don’t think it is chutzpahdik with all their restrictions to ask them for help, either in bringing food or in at least helping you figure out what they eat. This is very complicated.

If this was me, I’d be serving tofu ( very low in carbs) maybe in a broth with lots of aromatics) and steamed vegetables for them. For me, I’d cook what I eat. Keep it simple. They are not coming for the food.

cbg

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:59 am
andrea levy wrote:
I was going to suggest this. I am in some ways, one of the hardest people to feed that I know. I don’t eat processed foods, canola or other seed oils,carbs that are starchy or grainy or fruity or sugar. This pretty much means meat, salt, non sugary spice mixes and animal product. Honestly? I ALWAYS bring my own when invited out. I bring enough for others too. Because to put all my restrictions on a host while really very simple ( plain cooked meat, eggs or fish would be fine with me) is overwhelming to most. They think they need to cook me fancy, when really grilled meat or fish is just fine.

I don’t think it is chutzpahdik with all their restrictions to ask them for help, either in bringing food or in at least helping you figure out what they eat. This is very complicated.

If this was me, I’d be serving tofu ( very low in carbs) maybe in a broth with lots of aromatics) and steamed vegetables for them. For me, I’d cook what I eat. Keep it simple. They are not coming for the food.

Eating low carb/keto is not complicated
Eating low carb AND vegan is
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics