Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What do I serve, vegan?
Previous  1  2  3

eli7

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:09 pm
We make vegan chulent like this:

1 part brown rice (1 cup makes enough for 2-3)
1 part adzuki beans (dried, but you don't have to soak them first)
sweet potato, white potato, carrot cut into big chunks (as much as you like; I put one of each for every cup of rice)
small whole onion
teaspoon of cumin

put everything in a heavy-bottomed pot with water to cover and cook on the gas on medium-high heat until the water is absorbed (about 20-30 minutes)

add a little salt and more water to cover and repeat the previous step, gradually reducing the heat to almost none until the water is absorbed

pot then goes on the plata overnight

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:38 pm
cbg wrote:
Eating low carb/keto is not complicated
Eating low carb AND vegan is

I’m not saying it isn’t complicated. BUT, just last week someone told me there was no added sugar but then the meat was cooked in sauce with sugar. I’m not just keto low carb. I don’t eat processed food or sugar and I never cheat. So that is why people are intimidated and I bring food.

Yes, vegan is more complicated overall but not for one meal.

If you are having one meal, you don’t have to worry about macros. It’s one meal.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:45 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I’m not saying it isn’t complicated. BUT, just last week someone told me there was no added sugar but then the meat was cooked in sauce with sugar. I’m not just keto low carb. I don’t eat processed food.

Yes, vegan is more complicated overall but not for one meal.

Unfortunately the OP has to come up with a week full of meals. I’m usually the one up to any kitchen challenge but this is the tough one.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:55 pm
egam wrote:
Unfortunately the OP has to come up with a week full of meals. I’m usually the one up to any kitchen challenge but this is the tough one.

Missed that part. I’d buy a bunch of vegan food and let them cook for themselves while there.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:03 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Missed that part. I’d buy a bunch of vegan food and let them cook for themselves while there.

Omg I missed that too! For some reason I assumed this was a shabbat meal. I second them cooking for themselves- it's way too much to ask of a host to meal plan for such complicated needs.

sarahmalka

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:41 pm
Bean and veggie soups and stews.
Pasta made from beans is lower carb than wheat (I just had mung bean pasta purchased from whole foods and it's yummy).
Dips served with veggies and Mary's Flax crackers.
Vegan cheeses like Treeline, Kite Hill, VioLife, Daiya brands. Also follow your heart brand. Those cheeses are all vegan but some marked OU-D.
The websites someone mentioned above are great (minimalist Baker etc)
Aldi sells good veggie burgers that are pareve.
For desserts you can Google vegan dessert no sugar and find recipes, although most will have maple syrup or honey so not super low carb. Maybe Google keto vegan dessert.
And like others said, have them involved in shopping and cooking. Maybe mock up two days of meals and then let them take over.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:38 pm
I have picky family like this, also non-frum and can't cook in my kitchen because they messed it up before. I put out essentially a giant salad bar for every meal that they can use to put together their own vegan bowl. Tons of veggies, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts, avocados. I also make chickpeas and quinoa available since they're okay with those. Sometimes I make a very simple minestrone (with ingredients they authorize), or I bake spaghetti squash and mix with fresh basil and sauteed tomatoes. Depending on how rigid they are about sodium and carbs, you could buy a variety of Tabatchnik low-sodium frozen soup pouches that are easily warmed up in the microwave.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unfortunately they are not frum. Don't think that would work in my kitchen.

Even though they are not frum, they can take an active role in the food prep. Planning, chopping, mixing. You’ll have to check the veggies and turn on the stove and oven for them. Though it has to be done very sensitive in order not to offend them.

Last edited by egam on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:57 pm
if they do it together with you in your house etc...

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:16 pm
forgot to mention potatoes & corn is also carby even if its gluten free

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 3:23 pm
Ask them what they like. We love cauliflower, broccoli and carrots with vinegar; roasted eggplants, garlic and jalapenos with olive oil; avocado, purple onion, olive oil and paprika; avocado and grapefuit, etc.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:34 pm
lentils cooked in jarred marinara sauce.
or lentils cooked in tomato sauce and well seasoned
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics