Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What do people expect in a vacation rental?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 5:42 pm
I'm working on furnishing a house in Upstate New York as a vacation rental. It's in a prime Frum summer destination. What is expected will be provided besides basic linen and towels? Do I need a full set of pots and pans for both Milchig and Fleishig? What do I need to provide in terms of toiletries? Do I need to have candlesticks and a Becher for Shabbos, or will tea lights and plastic Becher do? Do I need cutlery and serving pieces? Anything else I am not thinking of?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm working on furnishing a house in Upstate New York as a vacation rental. It's in a prime Frum summer destination. What is expected will be provided besides basic linen and towels? Do I need a full set of pots and pans for both Milchig and Fleishig? What do I need to provide in terms of toiletries? Do I need to have candlesticks and a Becher for Shabbos, or will tea lights and plastic Becher do? Do I need cutler.y and serving pieces? Anything else I am not thinking of?

That all sounds good. Tea lights and plastic becher sounds good. You need cutlery but serving pieces aren't necessary.
For toiletries just keep plenty and plenty of tissues stocked. Hand soap in the bathroom and dish soap at the kitchen sink.
If you expect them to clean up, have broom, shovel, mop, scrubbers and cleaning solutions fully stocked.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:35 pm
I look at:

Good mattresses
Working toilets and showers
Good A/C
Cleanliness
No leaks or obvious broken stuff

Everything else is a bonus.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:40 pm
If you want to furnish it, the typical is to have linen, towels, refrigerator, a hot plate & percolator, toilet paper. The rest isn't necessary. You don't need to fully stock the house.
Oh and AC & cleanliness are a given.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:41 pm
Btw is it in a colony or on a private road?
Can I rent it 😃?

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:42 pm
I wouldn't use pots and pans etc, because even if I trust your kashrus, I have no idea who else used it or maybe someone else mixed them up.
In terms of toiletries, I would suggest a good supply of toilet paper. Will you be there to check on the stock etc? If yes, a nice bin like they have at chasunas with things people may have forgotten is nice. The type with ponytails, small toothpaste, etc.

aricelli

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:44 pm
You beat me to it! Looking for august!
When I rented places for weekends they usually gave plastic cutlery and no pots. A blech and hot water urn and linen were also provided- oh and coffee sugar salt as well

aricelli

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:45 pm
Havdalah set is nice to include- we always forget that

Sweet as Pie

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:47 pm
Cleanliness is most important in my eyes. We rented a house upstate for shbs and my husband woke up with allergic reaction to bed bug bites, we opened the light and found half the ceiling covered in bed bugs!!!(dh was in hospital with terrible swelling/skin infection from bedbug bites so he recognized the feeling right away)
Also- Basics like toilet paper, plastic ware, hot plate, perculator

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 7:00 pm
We just rented a large popular home for a weekend so we were discussing this.
Whatever you provide, give a clear list so they can bring other stuff.

Basic amenities:
bottle opener
blech or hot plate
Kosher lamps
Enough toilet paper and tissues
Hand soap
Paper towel by sinks
Clearly labeled cabinets, sinks, counters with meat/dairy stickers
Salt and basic spices would be very nice
Jar of instant coffee and sugar would also be nice
Pack n play or crib options
Toys and books for kids
Toys in outdoor space like cars, play set etc
Dish soap and new sponge per renter
Definitely broom and a swifter mop, we paid a large cleaning fee but still needed to lightly clean messes made by kids over the weekend.
Havdalah candle and vesamim
Some siddurim
Negel vasser sets
Clean linen and towels
Hot water urn with sabbath mode

Empty fridge/freezer in between each renter!!
If you're not living there then take away personal items like photos it's just weird to have around.
If anything has instructions (appliances, a/c) clearly label and post it there.
The whole house should be as clear and empty as possible. Like I don't want to see your personal knick knacks and decor I just want couches and beds.

No need to provide plastic paper goods, cutlery, serving things. We brought that all with us along with disposable becher, our own tealights and Havdalah set, even siddurim. We basically came equipped expecting there to be nothing but for the price we paid it would have been very disappointing if we had to shlep pack n plays and basic toys (nothing crazy, some duplo and train tracks etc, get it off Craigslist if you have to)

They had some knives and cutting boards but it's honestly very sketchy to use. Even the grill not everyone in the family ate from.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 7:04 pm
I don’t know if all provide toiletries. (Shampoo or soap - many times that is bring your own - even places like chalet hotel)

Don’t need full sets of pots or cutlery.

Dish towels are nice.

Hot plate
Percolater
Crockpot
Bechor
Challah cover
Challah knife
Tablecloth
Havdalah set

Basic spices is nice - salt and sugar. But not too much so no one runs off with it. Same with toilet paper, dish soap and paper towels.

Pot holders to protect counters.

You can check out listings on reserve kosher to see what they list as included.

Cleaning supplies - broom, mop and bucket. Maybe vacuum. Sometimes messes happen and guests want to clean up

Games are nice but optional as is reading material, old magazines, siddur, chumash, benchers.

aricelli

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 7:14 pm
Games and toys are awesome but you might have a hard time getting everyone to keep them organized.
We took a (jewish) airbnb last summer that had an extra fee if you left an overly messy playroom!

Last edited by aricelli on Thu, Jul 04 2019, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

aricelli

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 7:15 pm
They had lots and lots of books- junior and adults which was great

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:12 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Btw is it in a colony or on a private road?
Can I rent it 😃?

It's in Tannersville. If you are interested please post under your SN and I will PM you. I don't want to post under my own for privacy reasons.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:15 pm
Does it have a pool? Near minyan?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:17 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Does it have a pool? Near minyan?

No pool but near a Minyan. It's in the center of the Frum summer community.

cinnabon

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:17 pm
Please message me regarding this house. Thank you

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:12 pm
tannersville is next to poconos & camp simcha?

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:16 pm
If you dont want them to use too much electricity then provide shabbos timers for a/c & hot plates.

Some places also provide microwave.

If renting it out during week do you have stove & oven?
if not maybe a single/double electric burner & toaster oven would be nice

dankbar

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:23 pm
sometimes people leave in hachnosos orchim rooms or when renting out their appt for yom tov bottle of water/seltzer or juice and some cake or cookies next to coffee/sugar/urn, or on table

some leave plastic cutlery/plates

some have a small fridge with milk/ maybe some yogurt

some have book for all guests to sign their
names & leave a thank you

you might want to leave garbage bags/ plastic tablecloths there
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics