Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
DIY bathroom remodel

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Mar 10 2019, 7:28 pm
I just bought a house with a really ugly bathroom. I can’t exactly afford to redo it now so I was looking online for DIY ideas. I am thinking of painting the ugly pink tile walls white with tile paint. There is a yellow vinyl floor that is coming off in some spots. I found a wood look gray stick on vinyl tile. Should I stick it on top of the exsisting floor or rip off floor first? There is really ugly wallpaper that is peeling in spots. I am not even sure if there is drywall or something else underneath. I want to paint the walls gray. Should I rip off wallpaper or just paint right on top. Lastly, I found a very nice white and gray marble marble look counter cover to cover vanity counter with. Dh and I are not particularly handy. Am I ridiculous to attempt this? Did anyone ever try any of these tasks?

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:03 am
I suggest going to the Houzz.com forum and seeking advice there as the people are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

emzod42

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:08 am
apartmenttherapy.com also often has posts about this kind of project, with advice, tutorials, and before and afters. Here's one:
https://www.apartmenttherapy.c.....00139

You can search the archives for more.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 11:59 am
chocolatecake wrote:
I just bought a house with a really ugly bathroom. I can’t exactly afford to redo it now so I was looking online for DIY ideas. I am thinking of painting the ugly pink tile walls white with tile paint. There is a yellow vinyl floor that is coming off in some spots. I found a wood look gray stick on vinyl tile. Should I stick it on top of the exsisting floor or rip off floor first? There is really ugly wallpaper that is peeling in spots. I am not even sure if there is drywall or something else underneath. I want to paint the walls gray. Should I rip off wallpaper or just paint right on top. Lastly, I found a very nice white and gray marble marble look counter cover to cover vanity counter with. Dh and I are not particularly handy. Am I ridiculous to attempt this? Did anyone ever try any of these tasks?

You do need to remove the wallpaper before painting. Painting is something you should definitely do. Be ready for it to be a tedious project.
https://www.lowes.com/projects.....oject

Vinyl on top of vinyl
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/......html

You can paint over tile but sometimes it's just not worth the upkeep and an awesome shower curtain and accessories can make a real difference even if you keep the existing wall tile.
https://www.todayshomeowner.co.....room/

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:04 pm
I am far from an expert LOL and have NO DIY skills but I recently finished a remodel including kitchen and bathrooms and spent huge amount of time on the internet trying to learn everything I could.

Really you should post specifically but this is what I "think" I know

Painting tiles might not be a great idea. It's time consuming to do well and may not last. You mention you have ugly pink tiles - you should post a picture on Houzz.com forums because you might actually have a fabulous retro style bathroom that you can decorate around. Here's a website devoted to the beauty of pink bathrooms :-).

https://savethepinkbathrooms.com/

In general, you shouldn't put flooring over existing flooring. Peel and stick tiles are very thin and would show every bump and indentation. Also - and obviously this is just taste - gray is on its way out so gray flooring might not be the best choice aesthetically.

I don't know what you mean by a counter top. What is it made of and how would you install it? Bathroom counters - because of water - get a lot of wear and tear. Depending on the size you need, you can sometimes get a stone remnant - of course the cost of fabrication and installation might drive up the price.

Painting over wallpaper is generally not advised. You can take down wallpaper with a steamer fairly easily. Because the walls might not be great, you might want to think about using wallpaper instead of preparing the wall for paint. If your pink tiles are retro, you can get some fabulous wallpaper to play up the style. There are a LOT of threads on Houzz in which people had old bathrooms and people came up with incredible style suggestions at all budget levels. You would have to take a picture of your bathroom and post it there because people can't offer style advice in a visual vacuum.

In terms of not being handy, this might be an area where you and your husband want to start learning to do because ownership of a home comes with lots of maintenance and hiring people to do stuff becomes expensive.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 11 2019, 12:13 pm
Regarding the counter, you may be surprised to discover that you can get a vanity cabinet with a sink for around $100 at a place like Lowes or Home Depot and you wouldn't need to do a counter cover.

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:10 pm
Bumping this up!did you ever do it? How did it come out? I’m considering trying a DIY bathroom project as well...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains