Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
8 month old won’t drink water

esther11

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:37 am
I exclusively BF until about 6 months when I introduce solids. My DD loves food. She eats baby food, eggs, yogurt, crackers, chicken...anything I will give her. Issue is she won’t drink water and has been constipated for a few days. When I nurse her, she only drinks for a few minutes total and then she wants to play. I’m worried she’s semi dehydrated (she has been happy overall and has a few wet diapers daily, but her dirty diapers have been small and hard...). I tried offering liquids in a few different bottles/sippy cups but really she just plays with it rather than drinks.

Please please advise! I’m worried about her...

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 7:41 am
Focus on less constipating foods. Why do you think whatever she's getting from nursing isn't enough fluids for a small baby?

esther11

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:14 am
What type of foods do you think I should offer her specifically?

Because she is constipated and she nurses for a very short amount of time. But more because she’s constipated...

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 8:18 am
It's not unusual for babies to get constipated when their bodies are adjusting to solids. It doesn't necessarily indicate that she isn't drinking enough. Google a bit so you can learn which foods to offer more of and which to limit.

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:12 pm
Bump!
I’m really trying to figure out how to get her to drink, any tips?

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:17 pm
Maybe help her try an open cup.

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 8:52 pm
My son wouldnt take water at first. But I kept playing around with different cups and he finally took to one and it worked. Also not sure if you want to try this, but my son liked calmomile tea. Perhaps your baby will? I didnt make it strong. So it was basically flavored water. Also sometimes id grate a little bit of fruit into the water. Best of luck!

rowo

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:00 pm
Firstly, babies become really efficient at nursing as they get older. My babies go from nursing for 1/2 hour - 45 mins at a time to being done in 5 minutes.
If you are really worried about dehydration maybe offer her extra nursing sessions.

For water, just keep offering it to her. Leave sippy cups around for her to play with and she’ll figure it out.

For constipation, do you give her fruit? Pear, watermelon, berries, peaches etc
Not huge amounts, but small serves once or twice a day can help

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 9:14 pm
My baby is 8 months and started eating more solids. Same thing happened he got constipated. He still nurses plenty. I would put him on his stomach on my legs and rub his back and would also bicycle his legs those things both helped. I think it’s just their body that’s adjusting.

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:11 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
Maybe help her try an open cup.

Tried that. She makes the cutest faces but doesn’t actually drink!

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:12 pm
jfk92 wrote:
My son wouldnt take water at first. But I kept playing around with different cups and he finally took to one and it worked. Also not sure if you want to try this, but my son liked calmomile tea. Perhaps your baby will? I didnt make it strong. So it was basically flavored water. Also sometimes id grate a little bit of fruit into the water. Best of luck!

I tried mixing water with a little bit of apple juice but it didn’t work. I can go buy some tea...
I think I need to find the right cup maybe 🤷🏻‍♀️

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:16 pm
Did you try a shot glass?

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:17 pm
rowo wrote:
Firstly, babies become really efficient at nursing as they get older. My babies go from nursing for 1/2 hour - 45 mins at a time to being done in 5 minutes.
If you are really worried about dehydration maybe offer her extra nursing sessions.

For water, just keep offering it to her. Leave sippy cups around for her to play with and she’ll figure it out.

For constipation, do you give her fruit? Pear, watermelon, berries, peaches etc
Not huge amounts, but small serves once or twice a day can help

Nursing wise, I offer her 3-4x a day but as soon as there’s a noise she is done and wants to play. I’m more concerned that she will be eating a bunch of food and not drink with it. I wouldn’t mind except her dirty diapers are clearly constipated (bH she is happy and not so uncomfortable/fussy but the texture isn’t right!).

I can add more fresh fruit into her diet. I do give her some baby food jars also, so I do feel she is getting fiber (green beans, mixed fruit, sweet potatoes, etc). Since she isn’t uncomfortable though and I see she clearly isn’t drinking, I do want to work on that end...My other kids all transitioned well to drinking water with food so I feel this isn’t typical.

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
My baby is 8 months and started eating more solids. Same thing happened he got constipated. He still nurses plenty. I would put him on his stomach on my legs and rub his back and would also bicycle his legs those things both helped. I think it’s just their body that’s adjusting.

I’m hoping her body will adjust soon! And your son’s as well Smile

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:19 pm
tichellady wrote:
Did you try a shot glass?

Nope. Interesting idea, I will try to pick some up tomorrow.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:44 pm
esther11 wrote:
Nope. Interesting idea, I will try to pick some up tomorrow.

My baby learned how to drink from a shot glass before any other cups.

You can also give her cucumber and watermelon- both have lots of water. I hope this all resolves very soon

esther11

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:54 pm
tichellady wrote:
My baby learned how to drink from a shot glass before any other cups.

You can also give her cucumber and watermelon- both have lots of water. I hope this all resolves very soon

Thank you! Idk if she’s ready for cucumber yet (only 2 bottom teeth) but I can give her watermelon.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:01 pm
esther11 wrote:
Bump!
I’m really trying to figure out how to get her to drink, any tips?

My daughter was 4 months old when she started refusing to nurse. I tried to give her pumped bottles, formula bottles, everything I could think of, but she wouldn’t take anything consistently enough for me to be happy with the amount of nutrition and hydration she was getting.
I started her on solids a couple weeks later. Per the doctor’s instructions, I added the equivalent amount of formula that I would put into a bottle, into everything I gave her to eat. We are talking about a baby who was 4-5 months old, and had always refused bottles of any sort.
BH she started eating solids nicely, and at 9 months, I was finally able to start getting her to drink again.
Is it possible for you to try something similar?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics