Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sending shabbos for family how much to send
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:20 pm
4 kids ages 2 to 6 years old and 2 adults. For Friday night meal how much gefilta fish, chicken soup, potato kugel and chicken quarters!

unexpected

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:23 pm
1 fish
2 quarts soup
1 9x13 Kugel
6 chicken quarters
Extras like cole slaw, some dips, knaidlach etc always appreciated

nchr

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:25 pm
One roll gefilta fish, three slices salmon, 2 quarts soup, 3 chicken quarters, half of a 9 x 13 kugel. If you want to send them more than they need, in case their kids are all awake and big eaters etc. then unexpected sounds right.w

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:31 pm
Her kids are not such big eaters. Doubt they’ll be up for the meal. What’s a quart of soup? The 2 lb container?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:33 pm
Also knaidlach I’m sending was going to send 6. She is buying challah so figured she’d buy dips I didn’t tell her we’re doing dips or salad. Dessert is one big ice cream pie

trixx

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Her kids are not such big eaters. Doubt they’ll be up for the meal. What’s a quart of soup? The 2 lb container?

I feed chicken for supper on Fri though, before the meal.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:20 am
Please send some white meat chicken too. Kids can be picky

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:14 am
Send enough. 1 chicken quarter per person so that if the 2 yr old wants half, the other half is still available for the hungry adult that needs more.

2 of the 2 pound containers of soup.

6 kneidlach is fine.

A full roll of gefilte fish.

1/2 to a full potato kugel, you decide, either is fine.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 8:02 am
nchr wrote:
One roll gefilta fish, three slices salmon, 2 quarts soup, 3 chicken quarters, half of a 9 x 13 kugel. If you want to send them more than they need, in case their kids are all awake and big eaters etc. then unexpected sounds right.w

Please don't do this.
Send a piece of chicken for each person. Do you only serve a 1/2 piece of chicken per person?

If you honestly can't afford more, then politely decline to send

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:00 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Please don't do this.
Send a piece of chicken for each person. Do you only serve a 1/2 piece of chicken per person?

This. I’m surprised at those who said six. I would send 8. Or even 10.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:29 am
Your kids all eat a quarter of a chicken?

Quarter is for adults, I wouldn't have thought to send a quarter for each child.

I hardly ever even have adult guests eating an entire quarter. After challah, dips, fish & soup there's only so much one can eat.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:34 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Please don't do this.

This. Skip the expensive salmon and send enough chicken. There are also 2 adults eating! A family of 6 needs more than 3 chicken quarters. Send a whole pan of kugel. Why be skimpy? And even if the kids wont be up for the meal, they still need to eat dinner! If you are sending shabbos, send it like a mentch. Maybe split it with someone if you cant afford full portions of everything - thats what I do! I make a portion of shabbos meals because I cant afford to make the whole thing.

sweet

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:39 am
I would definitely rather send a generous amount then not enough.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:39 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Quarter is for adults, I wouldn't have thought to send a quarter for each child.

I hardly ever even have adult guests eating an entire quarter. After challah, dips, fish & soup there's only so much one can eat.

Not everyone does the dips, fish, and soup. Only my husband eats fish and we don't do a dips course. Only a few of my kids eat soup. So yes, most of us are ready for chicken and a side. When hosting or sending, I assume people are like my family who have different tastes and likes. Please don't assume that everyone who you are feeding will fill up on that stuff.

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:41 am
Salmon is absolutely not necessary. A decent sized quarter of chicken (along with the amount of protein in gefilte fish) is a perfectly adequate amount of protein, even for an adult. I can imagine a toddler eating a quarter of chicken because it is one of the foods he likes, and eschewing all of the rest of the meal. An adult who is receiving the meal can be expected to eat moderate portions of all of these very typical items on offer (barring allergies which I assume you would know about it).

It is no different than being a guest at a meal--sometimes you eat things you don't loooove but are okay with. I am not a pototo kugel fan myself (way too unhealthy for the joy it brings to me) but that's what happens when someone else is doing the cooking. You are doing a mitzvah, you are not a personal chef.

It also makes a difference if you are sending this meal to someone who is stranded somewhere with no other food, or if it someone who can go to the kitchen and supplement with an apple or a banana if they are still hungry.

Last edited by BetsyTacy on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:45 am
I usually send two quarters per adult, 1 quarter per kid. If there are bigger kids, I may send more. (2-3 2 lbs containers) Soup (9x13) Veggies, 1-2 kugal, challah, dessert. I never send fish (we don't eat it). My goal is enough to feed the kids before, adults during. If they have left overs, no one ever says no to extra food.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:20 am
Make sure to send enough of everything.

I got suppers for a while for my family, people were so nice to send but sometimes sent so little of each thing if it was full meal or minimal options but tons of it.

For a family of five I would get a med storage size pan of cubed potatoes. When its mashed it might be fine but when its cubed it takes up alot of spaces so it mamesh 2-3 pieces per person.

Once I got for dinner a 9×13 baked ziti which was way too much. Few pieces of broccolli. Pack of storebought mini sprinkle cupcakes for dinner.

Send enough options & enough from each

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:29 am
A 1 lb gefilte fish roll covers 6-8 slices.

A 32 oz container ( pickle size) of soup covers 2-3 portions of soup

A 9×13 pan of kugel covers 12-15 slices

A 6×9 pan of kugel pan has about 6 slices kugel

If you dont want to look skimpy on chicken send some drumsticks for kids & a chicken bottom per adult

dankbar

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:39 am
Even if your kids dont eat a whole quarter of chicken, when you send food out, it has to be presentable

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Some kids do, some don’t. When you are preparing for others, you prepare for any possibility within in the norm. So don’t send two per person. But send at least one and a couple of extra just in case.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics