Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Tired of chumras. No laundry on rosh chodesh?
Previous  1  2  3  4

CHMother

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:50 pm
Raisin wrote:
LOL that its less work to get your husband or son to do this then do it yourself.

Obviously this minhag originated at a time when laundry was really hard labour.

I think a more real minhag nowadays would be to take some quality time for yourself. Smile Have the men cook supper. Something real like that.

Just want to point out here.... there are many things in the Torah that seem to us like they are no longer "relevant" - or may even be clearly "irrelevant" (do you know why there is an issur to take medication on Shabbos?). That's why the Reform movement was started. But we don't do that. A custom is a custom is a custom. Quality time is also awesome! But not a custom. Wink

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:57 pm
CHMother wrote:
Just want to point out here.... there are many things in the Torah that seem to us like they are no longer "relevant" - or may even be clearly "irrelevant" (do you know why there is an issur to take medication on Shabbos?). That's why the Reform movement was started. But we don't do that. A custom is a custom is a custom. Quality time is also awesome! But not a custom. Wink

It's definitely not unheard of for a custom to fall out of practice, even by extremely frum people. Seriously, it doesn't make someone reform. And there's a huge difference between a psak halacha that seems irrelevant and a custom that seems irrelevant.

SmileNow

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
White shirts start to make it easier for the Rebbeyim to check the boys to make sure they are wearing tzitzis. All they have to do is throw water on them and the shirts are see though enough to tell. You open up the hose and can check the whole class at once. If you have colored shirts, each boy would have to untucked his shirt and be checked individually, with a shomer, to ensure that there was no impropriety.
Remember, it is always about what is best for the Rabbit (autocorrect of Rabbis but had to leave). The work it generates give you extra schar, so tell your sons they if they really love you, that they will use their shirts instead of napkins.

You gave me such a laugh! LOL LOL

CHMother

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:04 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
It's definitely not unheard of for a custom to fall out of practice, even by extremely frum people. Seriously, it doesn't make someone reform. And there's a huge difference between a psak halacha that seems irrelevant and a custom that seems irrelevant.

True. And I wasn't drawing a direct parallel. It's just funny to say LOL about a minhag that was treasured. And funny to suggest replacing it.

soap suds

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:32 am
Oh, dear. We women are impossible to please. We complain about all the housework we're expected to do, and when for a change we have an excuse not to do it, we complain about that too! LOL
Who'd have thought that there are women who actually want to do laundry every. single. day. Can't Believe It

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 4:43 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Not a chumra, DH is supposed to do the laundry instead, as this is a yom tov for the women.

This isn't our minhag (nor is laundry being just one person's responsibility ...), but if imafather ever comes into existence I will ask DH to start a poll about men doing laundry on Rosh Chodesh.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:25 am
CHMother wrote:

Reform movement started by changing the written Torah laws ! It says that the Torah is not relevant anymore! And that Torah is not from Hashem . They served pork and shrimps in their Shuls.
And I am saying - people’s practice , that are not in Torah , not Halacha and sometimes not in every community. And many customs were changed through history already.
Completely different story.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics