Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tenant (BP private house) says hes not paying rent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:23 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I am a tax payer. If my government is providing housing assistance to someone who doesn't qualify, rather than provide it to me who does - its stealing.

Why does this disqualify them?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Why does this disqualify them?

In Squishy's example she came up with something where the tenant has enough money to pay extra to the landlord.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:31 pm
In Squishy's example she came up with something where the tenant has enough money to pay extra to the landlord.

Someone isn't automatically disqualified from section 8 because they have any money left at the end of the month. Also, she mentioned that many people get the extra amount subsidized by another family member.

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 12:35 pm
The section 8 tennant is not OPs tennant.

Did I say he is? I have no way of knowing one way or another based on the information here.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:39 pm
Also, she mentioned that many people get the extra amount subsidized by another family member.

Which is still illegal.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:40 pm
I am a tax payer. If my government is providing housing assistance to someone who doesn't qualify, rather than provide it to me who does - its stealing.

If you qualify for S8 rest assured you are not paying any income taxes

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:49 pm
egam wrote:
Which is still illegal.

Obviously. But it's not actually stealing from anyone on the waiting list.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 1:53 pm
halachically, bais din, and if they don't show up, bd will usually say you can take them to court. The problem is in ny that the courts are sympathetic to tenants. I'm sorry you have this mess on your hands. Something important that no one mentioned, is you should have a lease or something in writing between both of you. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding squatters rights but we had an issue with a relative with a verbal agreement about paying that they didn't pay and in the end they didn't want to leave, claimed it was their apartment, it wasn't in the US but it was aggravating and you need to have something in writing just in case.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 2:02 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
halachically, bais din, and if they don't show up, bd will usually say you can take them to court. The problem is in ny that the courts are sympathetic to tenants. I'm sorry you have this mess on your hands. Something important that no one mentioned, is you should have a lease or something in writing between both of you. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding squatters rights but we had an issue with a relative with a verbal agreement about paying that they didn't pay and in the end they didn't want to leave, claimed it was their apartment, it wasn't in the US but it was aggravating and you need to have something in writing just in case.

Squatters never had leases and started living in the apartment without permission or even knowledge of the landlord. This particular tenant is not a squatter because he had a lease (which could be verbal or written).
And the courts have to follow the laws which are pro-tenant in NY. But it also takes lots of time to get to trial in the first place as there are many cases and very few judges so there is where the problem really is. You also have to prove or disprove certain defenses/counterclaims that tenant may bring against you which makes the process more complicated.
Here are some case law briefs for some of the recent housing cases, as you can see, tenants dont always win but this is why its important to speak to a lawyer to ensure that the case law is in your favor and that you do everything by the book to avoid having to start over again because you didnt write something correctly or didnt serve something correctly, etc.

https://www.landlordvtenant.com/

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 6:30 pm
Obviously. But it's not actually stealing from anyone on the waiting list.

How is it not stealing? Let's say there are 100 people on a waiting list, and they need have a certain criteria to be on that list. So if one person plays around with criteria to be able to get on that list, and wouldn't be eligible otherwise, then he is stealing a spot from someone else.

If a person has to add money to the rent, or a family member is offering the difference - and these details are NOT being reported to section 8, then it is stealing. In many cases, if an applicant is able to pay 1K as an addition to the payment, they may be disqualified. The same applies if the applicant has a family member that assists. Section 8 has their formula to calculate eligibility. It is up to them to decide if you're eligible or not. If you play around by not honestly reporting or withholding information, then it is stealing.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 10:36 pm
Squishy wrote:
Did I say he is? I have no way of knowing one way or another based on the information here.

Your sleaze ball comment was included in post about section 8 housing.

And yes - based on the information here - its fairly obvious OP's tennant isn't section 8.

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:06 pm
Your sleaze ball comment was included in post about section 8 housing.

And yes - based on the information here - its fairly obvious OP's tennant isn't section 8.

You can have section 8 tenants in homes with one rental.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2019, 11:11 pm
Squishy wrote:
You can have section 8 tenants in homes with one rental.

Section 8 tenants who pay $2450?

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:33 am
Section 8 tenants who pay $2450?

Yes . . . With the help of Section 8 . . .

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 7:53 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Yes . . . With the help of Section 8 . . .

lay out the math for me on that.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 9:25 am
https://www.nydailynews.com/ne.....39120
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries