Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you have an exotic dish/side?

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:17 am
By exotic I mean something that most American and Israeli Jews wouldn't have heard of. Can be Russian, Mexican, Chinese, Dominican, whatever. Not fish.

Please share the recipe and what it tastes like 😊😊😊

Israeli_C

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:40 am
I made up my own bread recipe after living in Israel for a few years and being tired of the air filled white challot. It's pleasantly sweet. I make individual challot for everyone and it's always a big hit with guests.

3 cups flour (I use wholewheat)
1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup water
and I glaze it with egg and sprinkle with sunflower seeds

I put it in at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes, sometimes flip it over and sometimes leave it in longer, depends on your oven

Last edited by Israeli_C on Tue, May 12 2020, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:57 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I made up my own Irish bread recipe after living in Israel for a few years and being tired of the air filled white challot. Real Irish soda bread involves buttermilk etc but I feel this gets the same texture (heavy) and is pleasantly sweet. I make individual challot for everyone and it's always a big hit with Israeli guests.

1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup water

I put it in at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes, sometimes flip it over and sometimes leave it in longer, depends on your oven

This is very interesting as it has no yeast. I make a heavy, sweet challah all the time but I never heard of a recipe without yeast.

How many small challahs do you get from this recipe?
Can it be made into one big challah?
Is it hamotzie?

Attention Americans- 180 is Celsius- we would bake at 350

Last edited by lkwdlady on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:29 am
My mother would often make soda bread when we were away on holiday, but I remember the dough being much softer then yeast dough (more cake like) and she baked it in a tin.

As for myself I like trying different recipes. I make majedra, persian rice, spanish omelette.

My kids love chinese noodles but I feel that is pretty common.

Dina2018

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:25 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I made up my own Irish bread recipe after living in Israel for a few years and being tired of the air filled white challot. Real Irish soda bread involves buttermilk etc but I feel this gets the same texture (heavy) and is pleasantly sweet. I make individual challot for everyone and it's always a big hit with Israeli guests.

1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup water

that sounds really tempting, can I ask a few questions? How can I substitute honey? Do you mic everything by hand and then? Do you do individual buns/knots/braid it? TIA

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 5:10 am
Israeli_C wrote:

1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup water

I don't know if I'll make it, but I put it in my recipe box.

milanesa
matambre I didn't necessarily make this one, but similar.
There are also empanadas, but I don't know if that's considered different nowadays.

elaela

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:11 am
bryndzové halusky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....%A1ky

we skip the bacon and top with onionrings

jerusalem90

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:36 am
ariela wrote:
bryndzové halusky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....%A1ky

we skip the bacon and top with onionrings

Sounds delicious, but getting the ingredients may be difficult for me. Where do you live?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:38 am
I absolutely love all forms of Indian food. Anything that has meat with butter or yogurt, I sub a parve version instead of dairy.

https://www.pinterest.com/rivk.....such/

elisheva25

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:40 am
Not a side dish, but a salad... great and filling for Shabbos Day lunch .
Omit cucumbers
http://www.olgasflavorfactory......ivie/

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 6:47 am
Not sure if it's exotic because it's standard fare for most Persian Jews but since I (a kugel-loving Ashkenazi girl) married my Persian husband, I've come to really appreciate ghormeh sabzi and abgoosht:

Ghormeh sabzi: (an herb stew)
1. In a food processor, chop up 3 bunches of parsley (take out the thicker stems), 1 bunch cilantro, 1 or 2 leeks, 1 onion, 1/4 cup fenugreek (we used dried)
2. Saute all of that except the onion over some olive oil for about 20 min
3. Brown stew meat separately with an onion and some salt and pepper
4. In the instant pot, add all of that plus 3 cups of water and 2 dehydrated limes and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. You can also put in a dash of turmeric!
5. Traditionally you would add kidney beans as well
6. Set the instant pot for 1 hour on high setting with natural release. If you don't have an instant pot you can do it on the stovetop: bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1.5 hours.
7. Serve over rice!

Abgoosht (chicken soup)
1. Take a whole skinned chicken and boil it until the white stuff floats to the top
2. Put it in the instant pot along with one chopped onion, 2 cups broth, one can of chickpeas or yellow split peas, 1 dried lemon or lime, two potatoes cut into thick slices, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Fill to the max line with water for the rest.
3. Set to high in the instant pot for 40 minutes, natural release.
4.If you don't have an instant pot, you can boil all of this over the stove for 2 hours.
5. Serve over rice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics