Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Boys Face Care - Need Rec's

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 12:08 pm
My 12 year old son is starting to get some face pimples. He hates them.

He is my oldest and I am unfamiliar with good products for him. What can I get him to keep his face clear?

While we're talking about this, what else do I need to know about a developing boy?
Got him deoderant, but what else?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:14 pm
The jojoba oil is also good for men!!

aliavi

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:24 pm
The pink grapefruit neutrogena works well for face and body. They have a moisturizer too. Twice a day consistently. Foot powder could be something he needs. Once the shoes have a smell or the feet get fungus the shoes need to be trashed. Some boys have swollen gums and flossing is important.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 1:56 pm
Have you spoken to him about the changes that happen during puberty? You definitely should (or his father, preferably).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Have you spoken to him about the changes that happen during puberty? You definitely should (or his father, preferably).

From what age does this start?

And what would the discussion look like?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
From what age does this start?

And what would the discussion look like?

If he's developing acne it's already started. He needs to be informed about all the ways his body will be changing, and how to properly care for an adolescent/ adult body. He should also be informed of how the hormones will affect his thoughts and moods. Let him know what the Torah expects in terms of dealing with those thoughts (especially thoughts s-xual in nature) and moods. Give him some practical tips. Talk about erections, what causes them, and how to deal with them. Let him know the halachos of guarding his bris.

Of course, this conversation should be done warmly and sensitively. Not all grimly and definitely no fire and brimstone.

ellacoe

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 2:43 pm
This works very well.

https://www.kiehls.com/skincar.....rt=18

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 2:48 pm
Acne treatments work, but it is important not to overuse them. Some teens try to use more product more often than recommended in the hopes that it will make the pimples go away quickly, but it just makes everything worse.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 2:52 pm
You can keep a face cleanser in the shower so it's part of his shower routine

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 5:33 pm
Best advice I got from a dermatologist -

Most boys break out from sweat and from a reaction to the scented facial cleansers. He should wash his face with any brand of UNSCENTED Body Wash.

I tried it for myself and it really works!

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Jul 03 2019, 6:40 pm
You can go to a dermatologist and then have whatever products he needs hopefully covered by your insurance. I had terrible acne as a teen only because my parents neglected to take care of it but as soon as I went to a dermtologist I started seeing improvement although it took a long time to really clear up since we waited too long before starting anything. I never bought any products (except face cleansers) besides what the dermtologist prescribed and whatever we did worked. Also keep in mind that sometimes acne requires antibiotics, or even oral antibiotics depending how bad it is so it's a good idea to go to a dermatologist just in case.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:00 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
If he's developing acne it's already started. He needs to be informed about all the ways his body will be changing, and how to properly care for an adolescent/ adult body. He should also be informed of how the hormones will affect his thoughts and moods. Let him know what the Torah expects in terms of dealing with those thoughts (especially thoughts s-xual in nature) and moods. Give him some practical tips. Talk about erections, what causes them, and how to deal with them. Let him know the halachos of guarding his bris.

Of course, this conversation should be done warmly and sensitively. Not all grimly and definitely no fire and brimstone.

This was very helpful.

I would love some more details. Is there a book or some info that I could get for myself?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics