Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How long on a bus is reasonable?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:42 pm
DD in nursery going into kindergarten is on the bus for about an hour and ten minutes. Is that long enough to complain? Or is it normal?

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:45 pm
That's a really long time even for an older kid.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:45 pm
It's very long.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:52 pm
My 4 yr old child also has around an hour ride, and im concerned about her not being able to hold it if needing the toilet. But, her school is far, and I have no choice.

However, op, I want you to know that even my other kids are also on the bus for around an hour, and their school is a 10 min drive away. But, the reality is they are making a lot of stops "out of the way". I think you can say something and see if they can give your child a bus with a shorter route, but they may not realistically be able to.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:58 pm
OP, it depends how close to the shcool you live. If you live far, an hour or a bit over an hour is reasonable.
We live in Spring Valley a 5 minute drive from my kids school. The kids that live in Airmont or Chestnut Ridge are on the bus an hour, it's understandable. The school keeps saying that when you move far you can't complain that your kids will be on the bus long.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:00 pm
Way too long. My son's yeshiva picks up the first stop about 30-40 minutes before they get to the school. I feel bad for that kid to me that feels super early in the AM and a lot of sitting before they have to sit all day in school.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DD in nursery going into kindergarten is on the bus for about an hour and ten minutes. Is that long enough to complain? Or is it normal?

What is your proposed solution?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:27 pm
It IS long. But it may well be impossible otherwise

keym

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:32 pm
It's very long.
However, I've been involved in the industry and there are some variables.
1) how far you live from the school or camp
2) how bad the traffic is in your area during bus times. My boys live 4 minute drive from their school in a an area that has a lot of traffic 3-5pm so of course it's going to take longer
3) how many kids are using the bussing. Two busses split over a whole city, versus 10 busses split make a huge difference.

Ultimately, you can complain to the school. Please don't complain to the bus driver. It just slows them down and it's not their decision what order to go.
But if the school or the company can't change it, you need to decide whether to leave it or drive your kid yourself.

gumby

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:52 pm
Legally in ny courts have held 1.5 hours to be reasonable but it depends on factors such as age, location from school etc. the district makes the final determination.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 1:54 pm
I would not do that. I would look for an alternative option if the school can't reduce the bus time, like paying another parent to drive.

happyone

Post Fri, Jul 05 2019, 2:08 pm
I was told that legal reasonable time is 45 mins unless you are being busted from another district.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers