Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Yeshiva/BY or Day School and ODD/ADHD

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:05 pm
I know that there can be a LOT of variables to this question, but if you have a child with an ADHD/ODD diagnosis, have they been accommodated in a regular Jewish School. With what? Who paid for it? Especially NOT in New York.
I'm asking for a friend.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:14 pm
There are plenty of kids with ADHD in regular yeshivos. Mostly parents have to fund any necessary interventions themselves, though there are so many variables it's hard to say.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:15 pm
I've taught students with ODD in oot public school. One had no special accommodations, but was on meds and seeing a psychiatrist privately outside of school, paid for by the parents. He was violent at home, not at school (though he bullied other kids verbally).
Depending on the severity, I honestly don't know that most Jewish schools would be equipped to deal with this. The other one had several issues, I don't remember all because it was some time ago, but she did have an IEP and a one on one and was assigned a social worker at school. She was pretty scary, though, and potentially violent.
They both had a history of animal cruelty at home, but she loved to talk about the time she killed her pet hamster, in great detail. It was a little traumatic for the other kids in class, so I'd always try to head her off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:04 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I've taught students with ODD in oot public school. One had no special accommodations, but was on meds and seeing a psychiatrist privately outside of school, paid for by the parents. He was violent at home, not at school (though he bullied other kids verbally).
Depending on the severity, I honestly don't know that most Jewish schools would be equipped to deal with this. The other one had several issues, I don't remember all because it was some time ago, but she did have an IEP and a one on one and was assigned a social worker at school. She was pretty scary, though, and potentially violent.
They both had a history of animal cruelty at home, but she loved to talk about the time she killed her pet hamster, in great detail. It was a little traumatic for the other kids in class, so I'd always try to head her off.

Fortunately in the case I'm talking about its fairly mild-if-at-all ODD which is mostly just angry/frustrated outbursts and work refusal.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:10 pm
Ah, I see. Then there really should not be an issue. be honest and upfront with the school, be willing to work with them regarding behavior charts or whatever. But I'm not sure what sort of extra paid supports you would be thinking of. What you describe wouldn't really warrant anything, other than basic accommodations like preferential seating or frequent breaks or reduced distractions during testing, etc

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:16 pm
I have a kid finishing 2nd grade with severe ADHD, gifted and some other stuff mixed in. We are in the Midwest and have had a very mixed experience. The therapist who did his evaluation told me he feels the yeshiva can handle mild to moderate ADHD but as you get more towards the severe side they don’t have the resources. I mostly agree with that.

We do a lot on our own to manage his issues. Therapy, meds, parenting. This past year, we did a joint program with yeshiva and a therapeutic program.

At the end of the day for my son, the years he has good teachers he has made progress and the one year he did not set him back tremendously.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:17 pm
A shadow or a place like Tclasses in YNJ

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:21 pm
Yes, but I doubt he would qualify for a paid one on one. His issues do not sound that severe. Pretty much any given year, I have similar 1-2 students in my class, and we manage just fine, with a mix of the accommodations I mentioned above and positive reinforcement, behavior charts, etc. True ODD is a different story!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)