Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd 14 when and what are you mailing to camp

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:48 pm
We live OOT so we won’t come to visiting day. When should I mail a package and what should I send dd? She asked us to mail her stuff and letters.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 1:57 pm
Check with the post office/fed ex/ups whoever, to see how long they estimate delivery from your town to camp. Tell them you'd like it delivered by whatever the day before visiting day is.

As for what... Snacks are prob always appreciated. But you know your kid best. What does she like? Or what might be fun to have in camp?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:09 pm
My parents sent me a package a week and I was close to bullied from jealousy.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live OOT so we won’t come to visiting day. When should I mail a package and what should I send dd? She asked us to mail her stuff and letters.

Did she say what she wants?

Some cute new socks or a new shirt, so she has something fresh and fun for the rest of her time at camp.

Some hair stuff, if she put her hair up.

A new nail polish or lip balm if she uses that stuff.

Snacks.

keym

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:23 pm
Ask her straight If she wants something specific.

One summer when I was in camp, a mom called the camp director to find out what colors were color war that year and sent t shirts and socks in that color.

My neighbor sent a huge dollar store bucket of hair accessories to share and style each others hair.
Face paint.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 01 2019, 2:24 pm
Check with the camp. Some have banned packages since last year.
Otherwise send a camp chair from Wal-Mart when she gets there. Extra nosh and snacks one week. Some extra canteen money with a card another week. Maybe an autograph pillow for her friends to sign the last week.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 8:11 pm
Thanks

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:13 pm
Check with the camp about nosh. Have a case of water delivered as an alternative.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:15 pm
Ra mom why a ban on packages?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 02 2019, 9:18 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Ra mom why a ban on packages?

It became a major problem for some camps. Every day the delivery trucks would come and the packages just didn't stop, just stacked and stacked up high. Then the camps had to find a way to bring all the packages up and down the hills. Not to mention the peer pressure and jealousy that went on among the girls.
Some camps now offer in house deliveries. You can order cases of water and such from the camp so you don't have to send something like that in your daughter's luggage.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:04 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Check with the camp about nosh. Have a case of water delivered as an alternative.

What else is a good nosh to send?

yksraya

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:13 pm
Noodle soup is the in thing in some camps.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:45 pm
yksraya wrote:
Noodle soup is the in thing in some camps.

Thanks for the reply. they sell it in camp. What can I send that they don’t have there?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What else is a good nosh to send?

Small jars of pickles and hot peppers.
A plastic carton (comes with lid) of Twizzlers, a resealable tub of pretzels. Fun and easy to share.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Small jars of pickles and hot peppers.
A plastic carton (comes with lid) of Twizzlers, a resealable tub of pretzels. Fun and easy to share.

Thanks

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:08 pm
Nothing! Thank G-d my daughters' camp banned packages this year (if they really need something like a medication, etc... it can be sent if you get permission from the camp first)
It was getting out of hand. I'd send one or two packages a month but there were parents sending something every day (thanks to amazon prime)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Nothing! Thank G-d my daughters' camp banned packages this year (if they really need something like a medication, etc... it can be sent if you get permission from the camp first)
It was getting out of hand. I'd send one or two packages a month but there were parents sending something every day (thanks to amazon prime)

I wish they would ban it in her camp. Is it better to send by amazon prime or send a package in the post office?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children