Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Is it appropriate to attend a Brit Milah without a gift?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:26 pm
Is it appropriate to attend a Brit Milah without a gift? What is the minimum amount of money I would be expected to give as a gift for a Brit Milah of someone I am not close to?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:27 pm
In my circles most people typically don't give presents at a bris.

polka dots

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:35 pm
Perfectly ok. Not something that’s expected

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:51 pm
It's always nice to give though. An outfit, a toy, $18. Not a must. If you feel you should attend this simcha, please go. Don't not go because you don't want to give a gift.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:53 pm
If you are somewhat close with the baalas simcha, you can give a toy, blanket, or baby outfit. Sometimes people bring the gift to the bris but in my circle usually not

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:08 pm
It's nice to give but u don't have to

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:39 pm
I'm MO, low to middle income, and live in Israel (but friends who attended Brit were mostly American). By my son's Brit, it seemed like everyone brought a small gift (onesie, baby toy, etc), but I wouldn't have even noticed if someone didn't bring anything. I do know that at the end I had a ton of gifts, and only about half of the people had put their name on the gift (aka a little card saying "to: Sarah, from: Rivka"), and of course I didn't remember who brought what even if I saw them bring it in, so I ended up with a lot of gifts and not knowing who they were from.

So if I we're going to a Brit, I would follow suit and bring a small gift (20-80 shekels = $5-20), and would attach a little note so they'd know it was from me.

But to answer your question: I think it's preferable to bring a small gift, but acceptable to not bring a gift.

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:56 pm
IME, most people who bring a baby gift to a bris would give it anyway, and are just taking that opportunity to give it to the parents. If you intend to give a baby gift, give one, if not, not.

agreer

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:24 am
I live OOT (not in the tristate area at all) and had only 10% of the people who attended my baby's bris give a gift. It's not expected at all. I only give a gift if I'm close to the person. If I'm not close, there's no way I'm giving a gift.

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:58 am
Totally not required. I often just don't have time to always buy a gift in the few days between being notified and attending the brit.
Sometimes I will drop it off a week later. If it's a neighbor, I make a meal and maybe give a small toy.
I only give large gifts for family members.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics