Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I am highly annoyed. Chicken smells again
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:38 pm
Once again, I purchased chicken dated 7/13 yesterday, but when I opened it
Today I was hit with a strong sulfurous smell. This is about the 5th time this happened to me recently in stores in Lakewood (two different reputable stores). I am annoyed. I have nothing else to serve for dinner. Can I use it or
Must I buy dinner for tonight?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:41 pm
Rinse it off, Pat it dry, wait a couple of minutes and sniff again. If it still smells bad I would definitely toss it. Sorry.

(And clean the sink well after you rinse the chicken)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Rinse it off, Pat it dry, wait a couple of minutes and sniff again. If it still smells bad I would definitely toss it. Sorry.

(And clean the sink well after you rinse the chicken)

It's too late. I put sauce on it and put it in the oven and figured I'd wait to hear from imamothers before anyone eats it.

I am so so so annoyed. Does this happen to anyone else?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:55 pm
I find it happens much more often in the summer then winter. Just started noticing it again.
I rinse and use unless the smell is really bad.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 12:56 pm
Not worth the risk of getting sick, imo.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:00 pm
I just called and they told me it's probably from the chicken sitting in the juice (I did notice a lot of juice) but said it's safe to use.
I already put sauce on it and put it in the oven so I can't rinse it off...

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:02 pm
Of course, that's what they will say. Btw, if someone gets sick from food poisoning and ends up in the hospital the health department may follow up to narrow down where it came from. Then the store may end up with a citation. So they should be more careful!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:15 pm
Update:
Dh is picking up takeout.
Next time I'll rinse the chicken.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:18 pm
Rule is always to wash the chicken & see if it still has a smell. Very often smell is gone once you wash it with cold water if not that means its no good. I sometimes also pour vinegar over it & rinse to take away smell & bacteria.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:42 pm
In the summer it’s terrible. Chicken, milk etc

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:49 pm
Was the chicken from Empire? I have never had good luck with any of their chickens. I suspect that the freezer trucks from the plant to the distribution centers to the stores might not have consistent temperatures. A freeze/thaw/freeze cycle can be just enough to let the bacteria start multiplying.

Organic, free range chicken never has that weird smell, or frozen-dry texture. It's usually small batches, shipped straight to stores, and they have closer quality control. It's way more expensive, but the quality is consistent, and the taste is far superior.

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just called and they told me it's probably from the chicken sitting in the juice (I did notice a lot of juice) but said it's safe to use.
I already put sauce on it and put it in the oven so I can't rinse it off...

Tell them to credit you the cost of the chicken. It's disgusting to buy food that doesn't smell fresh.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
Tell them to credit you the cost of the chicken. It's disgusting to buy food that doesn't smell fresh.

They insist that I come to the store with the product which is a huge hassle.

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Freeze the chicken, and bring it back next time you go in. This happened to you 5 times. Something is very wrong.

I would not go back. I would insist they pick up the food. While I never had bad chicken, I have had bad produce several times. They tried the bring the food scam back once because they know it's too much of a hassle I'd me to go back. It's also too much of a hassle for them to pick it up.

Don't let them off so easy. Insist they credit your account.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:32 pm
Are you sure they want the smelly chicken?
Some will let you bring back just the label.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Omg I know which store this is!! I once had 4 bad bags on cauliflower and they make me bring the cauliflower in! Nasty Punch
Of course I never did it and never got my refund

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:29 pm
I had opened a pack of chicken last Friday that was purchased on Thursday evening wits an expiration date of the following week. We tossed it and the grocery refunded us a pack of chicken. They have records of what we purchased in their computer.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:43 pm
I also purchased 5 packs of chicken two weeks ago. When I opened up the package it had a smell, I still decided it into storage bags and put it into the freezer. Erev shabbos I defrosted it and when I opened the bag it smelled soooo bad I tossed all the bags from the freezer from that batch. I went to the store without the chicken. They took out my receipt from the computer and the meet department was very nice and understanding. They refunded me everything and didn’t ask for the rotten chicken bag. It never happened before... I guess it’s because of the heat.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Was the chicken from Empire? I have never had good luck with any of their chickens. I suspect that the freezer trucks from the plant to the distribution centers to the stores might not have consistent temperatures. A freeze/thaw/freeze cycle can be just enough to let the bacteria start multiplying.

Organic, free range chicken never has that weird smell, or frozen-dry texture. It's usually small batches, shipped straight to stores, and they have closer quality control. It's way more expensive, but the quality is consistent, and the taste is far superior.

Pastured chicken and organic chickens are usually shechted and processed in the same plants as regular chickens. So I don't think that they are free of the smelly problem.

For those whose chickens were bad: stores are allowed to repackage chicken a couple times, so what it says on the label may be misleading.

Also, how long was the chicken out of the store refrigeration until it made it into you fridge/freezer at home? That time out in this heat can cause it to go bad faster.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:11 pm
I stopped buying chicken from a certain establishment because I found a store where the chicken very rarely smells. The place I used to buy from has a rule that they don't take back perishables, so I would open up a package (it was from Empire, btw) in the store to smell it and then cover it with a bag from the produce section so the cashier wouldn't notice that it was opened. If it smelled, I put it (with the produce bag around it) back in the chicken section. That way, hopefully people would realize not to buy it. If a chicken with a certain expiration date smelled, I wouldn't open another from that date. I was so glad to find somewhere else to get them because chicken shopping became so stressful when I couldn't be sure if the smell was bad enough to warrant leaving it there knowing it would be thrown out! Ultimately, chicken should have no smell whatsoever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics