Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need Civil War Movie titles for 14 yo dd

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:19 pm
I know. Shes different. But she LOVES American history. Any/all time periods are fine. With one big caveat; Shes American. She doesn't want to see blood, gore, battlefields, etc because they frighten her and give her nightmares.

Is there anything out there?

Even book suggestions would be great.

I bought her Dr. Ken Spiro's History of the world book but it was a bit difficult for her to follow.

I dont need Jewish. I just need clean and relatively gore free.

Please! And thanks in advance. Google was no help whatsoever FYI

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:26 pm
I think move version is titled "Gettysburg" it is based on the book The Killer Angels. Actually, if she's a big reader let her read the book first. I think that's about the age I read it first, and I LOVED it. The book was very clean. No gore, either. It reads like a novel, and I think that it is categorized as such. Can't speak for the movie, though, because I never watched it.

Just thought of a movie she would probably like, 1776, about the writing of the Declaration of Independence.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I think move version is titled "Ghettysburg" it is based on the book The Killer Angels. Actually, if she's a big reader let her read the book first. I think that's about the age I read it first, and I LOVED it. The book was very clean. No gore, either. It reads like a novel, and I think that it is categorized as such. Can't speak for the movie, though, because I never watched it.

Thank you so much! Will def try!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:30 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I think move version is titled "Gettysburg" it is based on the book The Killer Angels. Actually, if she's a big reader let her read the book first. I think that's about the age I read it first, and I LOVED it. The book was very clean. No gore, either. It reads like a novel, and I think that it is categorized as such. Can't speak for the movie, though, because I never watched it.

Just thought of a movie she would probably like, 1776, about the writing of the Declaration of Independence.

I see its part of a trilogy. Any info on the other 2?

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With one big caveat; Shes American. She doesn't want to see blood, gore, battlefields, etc because they frighten her and give her nightmares.

What does being American have to do with not wanting to see gore?

It's hard to find a film abt *war* that does not show any violent images...

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:34 pm
So The Killer Angels was written by Michael Shaara. It was a best seller and I think won the Pulitzer prize. Years after the author died, his son wrote a couple of connected books along the same vein. Jeff Shaara. I tried reading one when it first came out, but his son just didn't have the same flair for writing. So I never finished it. That would be the other books you refer to.

She might like the movie The Great Escape. Not gory, very clean. About American POWs escape attempt in WWII.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
So The Killer Angels was written by Michael Shaara. It was a best seller and I think won the Pulitzer prize. Years after the author died, his son wrote a couple of connected books along the same vein. Jeff Shaara. I tried reading one when it first came out, but his son just didn't have the same flair for writing. So I never finished it.

She might like the movie The Great Escape. Not gory, very clean. About American POWs escape attempt in WWII.

Thanks!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:58 pm
The Ken Burns documentary in the Civil War is brilliant and definitive.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
The Ken Burns documentary in the Civil War is brilliant and definitive.

Thanks!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:21 pm
Interesting fact, Ken Burns credits the book The Killer Angel's with getting him interested in Civil War history. Very Happy
Gosh, now I'm getting nostalgic. I may just track down a copy for a reread. Still remember the exact line of the last sentence of the book.

Laiya

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:35 pm
Lincoln , though unsure about gore

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:46 pm
Laiya wrote:
Lincoln , though unsure about gore

Thanks!

Laiya

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

Np, also, if she's not particular to the Civil War, the King's Speech was nicely done

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:05 pm
True, just be aware there is strong profanity in The King's Speech.

She might like the book April Morning by Howard Fast. About the revolutionary war

teachkids

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:10 pm
She may enjoy the historical American girl movies even though they're targeted for younger grades

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:30 pm
Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt about the Civil War- and a really well written book, no gore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics