Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Be honest, do you.....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 6:14 pm
live for this world or the next world? Do you find yourself most days so caught up by the many distractions of this (not real) world, with your marriage, kids, obligations, work, chores, etc that most times you forget what the purpose of your life really is? Do you always remember it’s just golus and that every action taken here is recorded by H-Shem and will be shown to you after 120? Does that scare you?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 6:16 pm
I used to.
But life is distracting and it’s getting harder and harder to remember the real purpose.

cm

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 6:25 pm
This world is real. We are meant to perform mitzvot in this world, here and now.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
live for this world or the next world? Do you find yourself most days so caught up by the many distractions of this (not real) world, with your marriage, kids, obligations, work, chores, etc that most times you forget what the purpose of your life really is? Do you always remember it’s just golus and that every action taken here is recorded by H-Shem and will be shown to you after 120? Does that scare you?

Every moment we live in this world is for the next world.
The challenge is to remember how elevated even the quotidian can be. Like Chanoch, who may have focused on all sorts of esoteric combinations of Hashem's name while he sewed for his customers, but who definitely had the kavana of sewing neat stitches to give them their money's worth, if we live mindfully while we do things, we can make them meaningful and bring Hashem into the picture.

Marriage and kids - and all relationships - these are the arenas where we have the greatest potential to remember Hashem. To think, just as He is merciful, so should we be, etc.

You say, it's just golus. Do you mean that we get so caught up in our houses and clothes, etc. that we're forgetting that there's something more? Because there's a lot of galus that's unavoidable. Paying bills. Shopping for insurance. Whatever. Imagine if as we pay the bills, and compare the insurance plans, we think about the chesed that we're doing for our families.

There are so many thoughts going through my mind right now. Dominant are the shiurim of Tammy Karmel, who should have a refuah shleima. If you can get hold of her classes, you will learn how to live meaningfully. To maximize whatever situation Hashem put you in and to know that He gives us a toolkit to navigate. Another thought: When we're in a crummy mood, we don't create the most pleasant atmosphere and don't always make the best decisions. OTOH, when we radiated good cheer, we create an environment conducive for all those around us to make good decisions. IOW, we can expand another person's bechira. (Not that we should cop out when it comes to our own choices, but we should realize how we can help others.)

All this is something we should be quite proud to see after 120.

trixx

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No, I don't, and I think it would be very unhealthy to.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:13 pm
It would not be unhealthy at all. Any great person that you and I knew lived their lives with those thoughts constantly on their mind.
It would be unhealthy if a person would translate that reality into a fear, anxiety, ocd etc. but for most of us, lets be honest, we are far from that.
Yes, the Torah tells us that we should live our lives that way - da ma l'maalah mimcha...
Do we live our lives that way? Sadly, I can't say I always do. But it is something to strive for and to the best of our ability incorporate into our lives.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:15 pm
This world is very real to me. It’s the only world I know. I live in the here and now.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 9:18 pm
Always? No. But I do come back to those thoughts fairly often. It would be such a shame to put it out of my mind completely.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational