Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1 yo rejecting most foods!!

thegiver

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:43 am
When is this a medical concern and when is it normal? He will eat applesauce, mayyyyybe chicken with ketchup on a good day, mayyybe pasta. This was my good eater who used to eat everything!!

Milk any time
Yogurt usually
Fruit is usually acceptable
On rare occasions sardines

No beef no fish usually no chicken no cottage cheese.

Can u suggest alternatives? String cheese is too much expensive and unhealthy imo.

I try to give finger foods as much as possible in case the reason he is rejecting is a desire for independence but it doesnt always fly.

Thanks!!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:33 am
Is he getting plenty of calories from breast milk or formula? If he is gaining weight like he should but just eating breast milk or formula instead of solids, I wouldn't worry at this point, just keep offering the solids. If he hasn't been gaining weight, then see a pediatrician.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:34 am
Don't let him get most of his calories from regular cow's milk though. If that's what he wants give him formula instead.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:49 am
Did you recently start him on cows milk? I find that often cows milk takes away their appetite for other foods. I would take him off dairy for a week and see if he gets his appetite back.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 9:12 am
Do you eat together with him, either just you or as a family at least once a day? My 1 year always wants whatever I'm eating or whatever his siblings have so it's easy to introduce new foods.

Have you experimented with different textures and flavors? He might like food with more spices rather than plain foods.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:34 am
How long has this been going on? Usually it's best to put a plate with a few different foods in front of him at meal time and let him explore and eat what he wants. Definitely make sure he isn't filling up on liquids close to meal times, and be very cautious about too much cow's milk altogether. If after a few weeks of doing this he's still refusing most foods, I would start feeding therapy. It's possible that he'll change on his own one day, but not likely. And the earlier you figure out why he's resistant and work on addressing the root cause, the more likely that it will be a short term stage vs a long term struggle.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:45 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Do you eat together with him, either just you or as a family at least once a day? My 1 year always wants whatever I'm eating or whatever his siblings have so it's easy to introduce new foods.

Have you experimented with different textures and flavors? He might like food with more spices rather than plain foods.

My baby is my only picky eater after many well eating babies. He eats with us like all my other kids. He begs for my food - tastes - and spits out. He eats with all older siblings at least twice a day - and doesn’t like their food at all

I used to judge those whose kids are picky - you don’t give enough variety, don’t let self feed, introduce foods late or early, don’t eat together.
‭But now that I have a picky eater I see it really is nature.

Personally I have his favorite foods as back up so if refuses what everyone else is eating I can just give him those foods so it isn't a struggle. (Potato kugel, cholent, banana, watermelon, peaches, carrots from the soup...)

camp123

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:15 pm
My one year old is the same. I notice it's much worse when he's teething.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:33 pm
He’s a baby let him be. Just make sure he doesn’t starve and that he’s growing nicely
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics