Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much did you spend on linen for yourself?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:26 am
oakandfig19 wrote:
This is a serious question and I’m not trying to be rude...why do frum communities focus on expensive linens so much? I’m a baalas teshuva, and I once was asked what kind of linens I got when I got married and I was puzzled. I spent like $50 on sheets from amazon, why are we spending $300 on linens?? I literally don’t get it.

Because we have 2 beds and appreciate duvet covers so it’s convenient to buy a set from a frum store.
Otherwise, you end up mixing and matching and the frum stores have classy ready made sets usually made from comfortable material.

Also you wrote that you spent $50 on sheets. Is that all you want? No pillow cases or blanket covers?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:30 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Because we have 2 beds and appreciate duvet covers so it’s convenient to buy a set from a frum store.
Otherwise, you end up mixing and matching and the frum stores have classy ready made sets usually made from comfortable material.

There are so many places to buy duvet sets that are comfortable and cost a fraction of the prices they charge at the frum store. I understand that it's convenient, but that doesn't really explain why entire communities of people who can't all afford those prices do it.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:31 am
20 euro per bed, stunning design, great cotton quality, lasted us 20 years.

bought a quilt for 60 eur recently - really nice.

prices in the states seem to be very high

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:32 am
oakandfig19 wrote:
This is a serious question and I’m not trying to be rude...why do frum communities focus on expensive linens so much? I’m a baalas teshuva, and I once was asked what kind of linens I got when I got married and I was puzzled. I spent like $50 on sheets from amazon, why are we spending $300 on linens?? I literally don’t get it.

If I wasn't frum, I would have spent $160 on linen for one bed. We have 2 doubles so it was more. Also, I had to spend a little more on dark coloured sheets from another company since the set I got came with embroidered white ones. I don't think that is so crazy for a master bedroom. When I got married I got linen from a hachnasos kallah org (it was a voucher to spend in a frum shop) and some as a wedding gift.

Honestly I don't care about cost or thread count, I just want nice linen that feels good on my skin. We spend a lot of time in bed. (not enough, but still...) So nice linen will improve my life more then other items.

As you can see from this thread, you are not alone. Plenty of people have inexpensive linen from amazon or ikea.

Anyway I bought my linen from a non Jewish department store so I assume other people appreciate nice sheets.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:33 am
sky wrote:
I’m finding it frustrating that there are no well priced options. I have 48” beds. The twin quilts are too small and full/queen is too big.
Closeout connections doesn’t sell the full quilt size.
I need new linen but when ever I go to the frum stores they want an obscene amount of money.

The regular size quilts fit my 48” beds perfectly. You do not need new quilts because you have 48” beds. On a 39” bed there’s a significant amount hanging over the bed. On a 48” bed it covers the whole mattress including the sides of the mattress. It’s a perfect fit. I’m not sure what you’re having a problem with...

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:42 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
The regular size quilts fit my 48” beds perfectly. You do not need new quilts because you have 48” beds. On a 39” bed there’s a significant amount hanging over the bed. On a 48” bed it covers the whole mattress including the sides of the mattress. It’s a perfect fit. I’m not sure what you’re having a problem with...

You realize if people share a bed every night a twin quilt is really small and can be uncomfortable. That is why ppl get bigger quilts.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
There are so many places to buy duvet sets that are comfortable and cost a fraction of the prices they charge at the frum store. I understand that it's convenient, but that doesn't really explain why entire communities of people who can't all afford those prices do it.

How do you know what “everyone “ does? If people can’t afford it they don’t buy it and either use old linen or mix and match something cheaper..
You can’t really know what you claim “entire communities” do. Just look after your own own finances and purchases.
Each person does what makes sense for them

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
You realize if people share a bed every night a twin quilt is really small and can be uncomfortable. That is why ppl get bigger quilts.

You realize that if people share a 48” inch bed every night it’s really small and can be uncomfortable. That’s one of the reasons we have 2 beds...
2 people in a 48” bed every night??? That’s 24” of sleeping space not including arms and elbows that might get in the way...
if the blanket fits the mattress size, what is the problem?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

I used to use a single size quilt on my full sized bed. It was fine. A full sized quilt should also work but you will have a lot hanging over the sides. You will just need different sized sheets, although I often use a double sheet on a single bed if I have guests and no clean single ones...

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 12:09 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
You realize that if people share a 48” inch bed every night it’s really small and can be uncomfortable. That’s one of the reasons we have 2 beds...
2 people in a 48” bed every night??? That’s 24” of sleeping space not including arms and elbows that might get in the way...
if the blanket fits the mattress size, what is the problem?

I’ve been doing it for 20 years it’s fine. A small quilt would be hard.
We have 2 beds for niddah (or if a sick kid needs to be close)

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:40 pm
Silly question, what in the world is a 48" bed and why do you have them?
We have 2 twins (39") and may eventually upgrade (we have the space) to 2 fills when we replace our mattresses.

Why would someone buy non-standard size, you are just looking to be restricted in what you can purchase and going to pay a premium.

FYI, all my linen do both myself and children are either amazon, target, or BBB. We all sleep great, when we finally get to bed.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:48 pm
sky wrote:
I’m finding it frustrating that there are no well priced options. I have 48” beds. The twin quilts are too small and full/queen is too big.
Closeout connections doesn’t sell the full quilt size.
I need new linen but when ever I go to the frum stores they want an obscene amount of money.

Change your quilts to full size. You can find well priced ones online for around $50 each or at TJ Max, HomeGoods or Marshalls. And then you can start buying full size duvets online too.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 1:55 pm

If it's so easy to find 100% sateen cotton bedding for 2 beds including 2 duvets, 2 fitted sheets and 4 pillow cases, then please post links! Very Happy
I've tried it many times. I don't waste my time anymore with linen that cost $149 after I finished buying all the pieces and running around until I found semi matches that wrinkle if not ironed after running in the dryer - when I can just walk in to a store, pick out one pattern and come home with everything I need for up to $179.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's so easy to find 100% sateen cotton bedding for 2 beds including 2 duvets, 2 fitted sheets and 4 pillow cases, then pleasw post links! I've tried it many times. I don't waste my time anymore with linen that cost $149 after I finished buying all the pieces and running around until I found semi matches that wrinkle if not ironed, when I can just walk in to a store, pick out one pattern and come home with everything I need for up to $179.

To be honest, I'm not sure what sateen is Smile and most people list much higher prices for the sets they bought in Jewish stores. I have found really nice, high quality sets at Macy's for reasonable prices on sale. If you get equivalent prices at the Jewish stores, though, you should certainly choose whatever is convenient for you.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:03 pm
To be honest, I'm not sure what sateen is Smile and most people list much higher prices for the sets they bought in Jewish stores. I have found really nice, high quality sets at Macy's for reasonable prices on sale. If you get equivalent prices at the Jewish stores, though, you should certainly choose whatever is convenient for you.

I can't spend higher prices on linen so I shop around and have found a place that has the soft high quality cotton (sateen) we need for a reasonable price.
People who spend more feel that they can. If they can't spend so much, they make do with what they can, just like everything else.

roses

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I can't spend higher prices on linen so I shop around and have found a place that has the soft high quality cotton (sateen) we need for a reasonable price.
People who spend more feel that they can. If they can't spend so much, they make do with what they can, just like everything else.

Can you please share which stores in Brooklyn you recommend for these prices?

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Are you ok sharing where you get better priced sateen sets? We could use another set

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Also you wrote that you spent $50 on sheets. Is that all you want? No pillow cases or blanket covers?

Sheets, duvet covers, and pillow cases for two beds all were about $50 I’d say. They’re holding up faster a couple years. I really fail to see why it’s worth it to spend so much, it’s simply price inflation at a certain point most are made in China anyway.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 2:19 pm
aricelli wrote:
Are you ok sharing where you get better priced sateen sets? We could use another set

D'Rose. They have a few price points and I'm usually able to find 100% cotton sateen at their $179 price point (their fitted sheets are a little looser than usual but you can get butter soft linen).
I also like the linen sets that D'Rose and Closeout Connections have from Better Bed Collection 300 thread count sateen blend that runs $109-$119 (it's not 100% cotton and the first time I bought it I didn't realize that. But the linen is soft, well constructed and lasts, so I've bought more since).
Sometimes I buy at Elegant Linen when they have their summer sale in my same price range (the sets they have on sale only come with 2 pillowcases so remember to order 2 more envelopes on the spot, before the matching material runs out of stock).

roses

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
D'Rose. They have a few price points and I'm usually able to find 100% cotton sateen at their $179 price point (their fitted sheets are a little looser than usual but you can get butter soft linen).
I also like the linen sets that D'Rose and Closeout Connections have from Better Bed Collection 300 thread count sateen blend that runs $109-$119 (it's not 100% cotton and the first time I bought it I didn't realize that. But the linen is soft, well constructed and lasts, so I've bought more since).
Sometimes I buy at Elegant Linen when they have their summer sale in my same price range (the sets they have on sale only come with 2 pillowcases so remember to order 2 more envelopes on the spot, before the matching material runs out of stock).

Thank you for this comprehensive guide!!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics