Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sending kids off to learn

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:13 am
What do you do about medications?

What do you do about getting them money?

How much money should I give for spending money? I want them to learn to budget.

What about clothes? Should I buy in the US or let them get in EY?

What shoes do the guys wear? Do they wear sandals?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 4:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do about medications?

What do you do about getting them money?

How much money should I give for spending money? I want them to learn to budget.

What about clothes? Should I buy in the US or let them get in EY?

What shoes do the guys wear? Do they wear sandals?

You're in the US and sending a son to Israel?

Chances are that your insurance will cover buying medicine in advance if you show that he'll be away. (Not applicable if he's taking a controlled substance.)

Spending money depends on where they are. If in the middle of Jerusalem, chances are he'll go out a lot. If he's in the boondocks, he'll spend on transportation going away for shabbos. Ideally, get a Capital One card and account so he can access money from any ATM.

Buy clothes in the States. Whether they wear sandals depends on the yeshiva. If it's charedi, he won't.

Your best bet is to speak to someone who went to the school last year.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:16 pm
Hi, OP
I'm also sending a child to e'y for the first time. Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.
To the I'ma who said to open a capital one card - why this particular card?
Are American laundry detergents good for washing machines on Israel?
Do usually yeshiva dorms provide pillows?
What's a standard gift boys can bring to shabbos hosts?
Thank you!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:20 pm
Capital one is the best because they don’t charge international fees. You can take money out from any ATM without any extra fees. Open a Capital One High Yield Checking account.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:22 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Hi, OP
I'm also sending a child to e'y for the first time. Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions.
To the I'ma who said to open a capital one card - why this particular card?
Are American laundry detergents good for washing machines on Israel?
Do usually yeshiva dorms provide pillows?
What's a standard gift boys can bring to shabbos hosts?
Thank you!

Capital one is known for not having international fees.
Don't send detergent. It's heavy and can easily be bought there. Plus some yeshivas do laundry for them anyway.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:49 pm
Tan and teachkids thank you for answering. I have a chase sapphire card and thought to make my son an authorized user. Now I will check into the Cap. One.
Anything you would recommend to bring along? He's going for one zman only.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:07 pm
Tan please ask. I didn't think about about Shabbos gifts.

Is the Capital one credit card also good?

What about phones?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:26 pm
My son learned there for over two years, I gave him a chase sapphire preferred and incurred no fees.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:29 pm
[quote="amother [ Honeydew ]"]My son learned there for over two years, I gave him a chase sapphire preferred and incurred no fees.[/quo
No transaction and no ATM fees? Thank you

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 8:39 pm
If he's going to a yeshiva with a dorm, they'll provide a pillow. It's best to buy laundry detergent in Israel.
Shabbos gifts for hosts are usually a bottle of wine, flowers, a tray of candy. All easily bought here. You can send along gifts to give, but if he's only got one suitcase, I wouldn't waste space on it. No one expects extravagant presents from yeshiva boys.

Shuly

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:57 am
What yeshiva is he going to?

Most dorms do not provide pillows or blankets but you can buy here. You can order from Blanket Express https://www.blanketexpressplus.com/ and they will deliver it to his dorm.

If he will be using a credit card, Chase Sapphire is good. If he is taking money out of an ATM, get a Capital One 360 account and give him the ATM card.

He can get on Israeli insurance here once he has a student visa or he can sign up for AIM - https://www.aim.co.il/ The yeshiva should help you with insurance, so ask them.
As for medications - he should bring some to have right away but once he has insurance, he should be able to get here as long as a dr. will prescribe it.

If it's over-the counter medicine (tylenol, allergy medicine) send with him because it will be easier for him than having to figure out what to buy here.

Buy clothing in the US, it will be better quality.

If he's going to an American yeshiva, the guys will wear the same clothing as any American bochurim.
If it's a yeshivish yeshiva, he needs:
black/navy dress pants, white shirts and weekday dress shoes.
Sneakers, cotton pants/shorts and t-shirts for basketball and trips.
A terry bathrobe and a bathing suit
Towels and linen
Shabbos suits, shirts, shoes and ties
Black hat(s)

He can buy shampoo, soap and laundry detergent here so don't send because it's heavy.

Some boys like to bring a Brita pitcher.

The boys who eat by me don't usually bring gifts, but once in a while, someone will bring a candy platter or a bottle of wine. Just remind him to learn about hechshers here and only bring what everyone will eat.

Let me know if you have any more questions! I'm happy to help.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:27 am
No transaction and no ATM fees? Thank you[/quote]
No fees whatsoever for using it as a cc.
For cash withdrawals I was advised to make him an account with TD Bank and he had no atm or international fees.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions