Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"Our Table" Renee Muller Whole Wheat/Spelt Challah recipe?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:40 pm
Has anyone tried "Our Table" Whole Wheat/Spelt Challah recipe?

Surrendered

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:44 am
I have a much simpler recipe of yummy spelt challos.

4 Tsp. Dry yeast- dissolve in 2 cups lukewarm water and 1 tsp. sugar (to make it rise)
1 cup oil
4 eggs
4 tsp. Salt
4 cups lukewarm water (in addition to the 2 cups)
1 cup honey
6 lb. White Spelt flour

Let yeast rise, add all Ingredients and mix well.
Let rise afew minutes, and braid.
Let rise or put into oven for 10 minutes on 200°.
Bake on 350° for 1/2 hour.

Freezes well. Remake it before the zman for 10 minutes, on 350°. It will be crispy in the outside and soft inside.

Last edited by Surrendered on Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:48 am
Surrendered wrote:
I have a much simpler yummy spelt challos.

4 Tsp. Dry yeast- dissolve in 2 cups lukewarm water and 1 tsp. sugar (to make it rise)
1 cup oil
4 eggs
4 cups lukewarm water (in addition to the 2 cups)
1 cup honey
6 lb. White Spelt flour

Thanks although I like using mostly Whole Spelt flour.

Any instructions?

Have you ever made half the recipe?

Are the results fluffy?

Surrendered

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:51 am
Please note, 'I edited instructions'. Mine comes out beautiful fluffy and tastes like regular challos. (It doesn't taste different).
You can do the same recipe for whole wheat.

itsmeima

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:15 am
I love her recipes! I haven't tried her WW Challah, but so far everything I've made in her cookbook was really good!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:32 am
itsmeima wrote:
I love her recipes! I haven't tried her WW Challah, but so far everything I've made in her cookbook was really good!

Her Pesach cookies are to die for, as is her Salmon made with Bay Leaves.

But her Baked Salmon recipe, made with Ketchup and Mayo, was average at best, to me.

eagle

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 10:08 am
For anyone that bakes with spelt flour this is the absolute best flour out there. It is also sprouted so much much healthier (sprouted means it is a gentler way of processing the flour that doesn't kill the nutrients). I don't even keep white flour in my house, I use this for everything, challah, pancakes, cookies...
I wait for a 20% coupon that I get fairly often from them and I stock up on flour.
https://www.vitacost.com/one-d.....80-oz

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:34 am
eagle wrote:
For anyone that bakes with spelt flour this is the absolute best flour out there. It is also sprouted so much much healthier (sprouted means it is a gentler way of processing the flour that doesn't kill the nutrients). I don't even keep white flour in my house, I use this for everything, challah, pancakes, cookies...
I wait for a 20% coupon that I get fairly often from them and I stock up on flour.
https://www.vitacost.com/one-d.....80-oz

Do you have a Whole or White Spelt Challah recipe you use regularly and like?

eagle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:30 am
This is my challah recipe. We are Sephardic so we don't eat sweet challah, this tastes like challah not cake Smile

5 cups warm water
4 tablespoons yeast
3/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/4 cup oil (I actually use olive oil and it tastes just fine)
1.5 tablespoons salt
5 lb bag flour

I find that the challah tastes much better if it isn't well done/over cooked.
When it bakes at 350 for 30 minutes or less (depending on if your challahs are tall vs wide) it is delicious.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:37 am
eagle wrote:
This is my challah recipe. We are Sephardic so we don't eat sweet challah, this tastes like challah not cake Smile

5 cups warm water
4 tablespoons yeast
3/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/4 cup oil (I actually use olive oil and it tastes just fine)
1.5 tablespoons salt
5 lb bag flour

I find that the challah tastes much better if it isn't well done/over cooked.
When it bakes at 350 for 30 minutes or less (depending on if your challahs are tall vs wide) it is delicious.

Do you use Whole Spelt flour or White Spelt??
What are your instructions?
What kind of Challah does it yield?
How many risings? How long?
Spelt rises differently than other flours and needs specific instructions.
TIA

eagle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:54 am
This is the flour I use, I use the whole bag https://www.vitacost.com/one-d.....0-oz. (The price varies for some reason from anywhere between $12 to $14 and I get a coupon for 20% off of that price. They deliver within 2 days and have really great customer service. You can try this link here to sign up for their email and get a 20% off coupon https://www.retailmenot.com/view/vitacost.com)

It makes 8 medium/large size challahs.

I use 5 cups warm water (about 3.5 cups room temperature and 1.5 hot water)
add 4 tablespoons dry yeast and sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar around. I mix it just a bit and let it sit for at least 10 minutes, sometimes more, I just wait until its really bubbly.
After I add the oil and salt and some flour while my Bosch (I am lucky that my mom gifted me hers) is spinning I continue adding the rest of the flour. I let it mix for a few minutes.
I let the dough rise for about an hour to 1.5 hours. (You could now punch it down and let it rise again for another hour if you want) Then I braid it and let the loaves rise for about 40 minutes. I brush with egg. Preheat oven to 350 (or convection option at 325 degrees).
I let the loaves bake for 15 minutes and then rearrange the loaves in the oven and then bake for another 15 minutes. If you are using larger loaf pans so that the challah is wider vs taller I would bake for a few minutes less.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen