Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Tell me something I don't know (Jewish!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

gingertop

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:09 pm
I created a spinoff for werewolf discussion.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66166

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:13 pm
There is an entire section of halacha which dictates table manners

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:24 pm
proudmomma wrote:
The shvatim had superpowers! Yehudah had metal chest hairs that when he was angry would pierce through his shield. Naftali ran so fast, the grass beneath him didn't bend! Shimon & Levi had super strength.
S ource: yalket mayim loez

Binyamin was a werewolf

Edit: I see someone beat me to it

gingertop

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:25 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Binyamin was a werewolf

There's a spinoff for this discussion----> https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66166

paperflowers

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:32 pm
giselle wrote:
Rabbi Slifkin writes about this in his book, Sacred Monsters. He quotes Rabbeinu Ephraim ben Shimshon who discusses how Binyamin was a werewolf who ate Rachel when she was giving birth to him. Rabbi Slifkin says that this is a mistaken belief based on the beliefs of that time.

There’s also a medrash that the reason Yaakov didn’t want to send Binyamin to mitzrayim is because he was a werewolf. Not sure if this is the same medrash or different as what you mentioned above.

Eta: sorry I just saw about the spinoff!

paperflowers

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:38 pm
The descendants Jews who converted to Christianity when they were emancipated by Napoleon weren’t considered Jews during the holocaust. If they converted later than that then their descendants were considered Jews because it was less than four generations.

gingertop

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:50 pm
During his famous masa hateshuva, R' Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld gave hespedim at the levayas of two youths who were killed by Arabs- Moshe Barsky and Yosef Salzman. Moshe Barsky had been travelling to get medicine for a man named Shmuel Dayan. Shmuel Dayan named his son Moshe in memory of the youth who died for him. R' Sonnenfeld cried at the levaya of Moshe Dayan's namesake.

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:12 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
This is fascinating. Especially the unicorns. I am obsessed with unicorns.
I’ve also heard that there used to be mermaids.

Read Sacred Monsters.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:14 pm
giselle wrote:
Read Sacred Monsters.

This it

Sacred Monsters https://www.amazon.com/dp/9652.....61QK6

MiriFr

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:24 pm
An onion is shehakol unless it's fried!

paperflowers

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:28 pm
The first head of the kashrus department of the O/U left it to found the O/K.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:38 pm
The shevatum were twins with girls, and binyamin was a triplet. (The Midrash Says)

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:40 pm
King John (of Robin Hood, which wasn’t true, but the king was real) had a Jewish swordsman and archer as trainers.
(Source: expulsion, a book about Jews in Medieval England)

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:42 pm
Inspiration for Frankenstein was most likely taken from the idea of the Gollum.
(Source: The Golem of Prague, by Gershwin Winkler, intro)

gingertop

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:43 pm
Otto Frank, Anne's father, served on the same side as Hiter ym"sh and both fought in the terrible Battle of Somme.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:44 pm
Sholom Aleichem and Mark Twain met.

https://www.jta.org/jewniverse.....twain

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:49 pm
Rabbi Shimshon Rafael Hirsch’s wife was older than him, and he recommended it as being a good thing to have a more mature wife.
Just Ask?

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:51 pm
Wearing a yarmulke is not Halacha

Quote:
There is debate among Halachic authorities as to whether wearing a kippah at all times is required.[6] According to the Rambam, Jewish law dictates that a man is required to cover his head during prayer.[7]

However, according to some authorities, it has since taken on the force of law because it is an act of Kiddush Hashem (lit., "sanctification of the Name", referring to actions which bring honor to God).[8] The 17th-century authority Rabbi David HaLevi Segal (The "Taz") suggested that the reason was to distinguish Jews from their non-Jewish counterparts, especially while at prayer. He held that nowadays, wearing a kippah is required by halacha.[6]

Other halachic authorities like Sephardi posek, the Chida (Rabbi Chaim David Yosef Azulai), hold that wearing a head covering is a midat hasidut, an additional measure of piety.[6] In a recent responsum, former Sephardic Chief Rabbi of Israel Ovadia Yosef ruled that it should be worn to show affiliation with the religiously observant community.[9]

The Talmud states, "Cover your head in order that the fear of heaven may be upon you."[10] Rabbi Hunah ben Joshua never walked 4 cubits (6.6 feet, or 2 meters) with his head uncovered. He explained: "Because the Divine Presence is always over my head."[11] This was understood by Rabbi Yosef Karo in the Shulchan Arukh as indicating that Jewish men should cover their heads, and should not walk more than four cubits bareheaded.[12] Covering one's head, such as by wearing a kippah, is described as "honoring God".[13] The Mishnah Berurah modifies this ruling, adding that the Achronim established a requirement to wear a head covering even when traversing fewer than four cubits,[14] and even when one is standing still, indoors and outside

The reason I found this surprising is because wearing a yarmulke is so widespread, with most affiliated Jews keeping that mitzva.

Last edited by Ravenclaw on Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:56 pm
gingertop wrote:
Otto Frank, Anne's father, served on the same side as Hiter ym"sh and both fought in the terrible Battle of Somme.

And they both received the same medal of honor oops I meant Iron Cross medal

Last edited by Laiya on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy9

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:59 pm
MiriFr wrote:
An onion is shehakol unless it's fried!

Mushrooms are shehakol
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics