Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Info on Lakewood Chassidish Development
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:11 pm
I'm thinking about moving purely for financial reasons and I'd love to have info on this aspect.

In chassidish developments, how much do homes or flats go for (for sale)? Is it feasible to have a tenant, or do most ppl buy so there aren't ppl available as tenants? Are taxes comparable to NYC or Upstate NY? Is it possible to live there without a car (would love not to have that expense). Are taxis reliable? Is there public transportation? Are taxis same price as NY? Are food prices comparable to NY? Utilities? Tuition in chassidish mosdos? Other expenses?
All info very appreciated.

cnc

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 3:14 pm
Where are you comparing taxes to- Brooklyn or Monsey?

Food is comparable or cheaper .
It’s difficult without a car but doable depending which development you move to.
Tuition is more expensive there.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:01 pm
Housing taxes is much more expensive than Brooklyn, probably more like Monsey. No real public transportation. Many places don't have sidewalks. Very difficult to live here without a car although some developments are right next to a grocery store and maybe a few other basic stores.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:13 pm
Life in Lakewood isn't necessarily cheaper as in Brooklyn, you just get more for your money. I don't think moving to Lakewood would help majorly financially wise.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:08 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking to get more for my money. It's hard for me to shell out a hefty mortgage payment each month and then feel caged in when walking into my kids' bedroom. And when the 'big bonus' of the master bedroom is that it fits 48 inch beds.

I will probably be able to hold onto my job and work remotely, but in case that won't work out, are salaries in Lakewood comparable to those in NY?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:07 am
Salleries are less here. It's a cheaper life. Tranportation is ok. There is a shuttle. Since there is a demand for it it keeps improving. It basically goes everywhere

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:10 am
Lakewood is really not set up for people who don't drive. I don't know if people really realize this. I know people who find this very difficult. It also scares me when I see people running across Route 9 with traffic rushing all around them. (I see it very often.)

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:31 am
On shabbos people walk all over to simchas. And the township keeps adding more sidewalks. It's just that during the week it's the frum people that are not nice to the pedestrians. I see it on Clifton Avenue, I see it in yeshivah neighborhood. I basically see it all over they wont watch the kids on the bikes either

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:55 am
You can get a unit in a chassidish condo development for $500k's - $600k's (maybe even a little less... I don't know about all developements)
Yes, most people have tenants, but the income is negligible. Rent for basement apartments are very low.
Taxes are comparable to Monsey, definitely much more than Brooklyn. But if you buy a condo unit in a development you are paying far less than if you buy a one family home on a big lot.
I guess everything is possible, but it would be extremely hard to live here without a car. There are just about 2 yiddishe taxi companies, and they're expensive and take a while to arrive. (I use uber when I need a taxi)
There is a shuttle. Can't tell you about it because I never used it.
Food is approximately the same, maybe a little less. Same with utilities.
Tuition in chassidish mosdos is more than in Bklyn, but less than non chassidish mosdos in Lakewood.
I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have any. I moved here a couple of years ago.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:37 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
On shabbos people walk all over to simchas. And the township keeps adding more sidewalks. It's just that during the week it's the frum people that are not nice to the pedestrians. I see it on Clifton Avenue, I see it in yeshivah neighborhood. I basically see it all over they wont watch the kids on the bikes either

In what way are people "not nice to pedestrians"?

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:46 am
Chayalle wrote:

I'm wondering the same!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:50 am
Oak and Vine. Houses $600000. Basement rentals are $1300 a month.

mommyla

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 12:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:

Honestly, people who don't drive tend to be difficult pedestrians simply because they don't understand the drivers' point of view. Like the woman who posted here once about how people didn't let her cross Rt 9 by Gourmet Glatt Confused or the women who walk two abreast on the shoulder with their double strollers even when there's a sidewalk right there, or the men who cross in middle of the street when there's a crosswalk at the corner, or the bachurim who ride like lunatics on their bikes (no helmets!), or the teenaged girls who stroll across County Line at Squankum against the light so that everyone in the turning lane can't turn...

Yeah, that's why people aren't nice to pedestrians. We're trying to keep them from getting killed!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:53 pm
Thanks for all the responses. Very informative. Any good leads for kollelim where a chassidish guy would feel comfortable? Can either be chassidish or not, but welcoming to chassidish guy (mid 30s if that matters).

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:57 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Oak and Vine. Houses $600000. Basement rentals are $1300 a month.

The rental numbers you posted are not realistic. My children live in a basement there and they are paying much less. Just to make you aware.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:55 pm
you could get a basement rental in harmony for 800$

op, do you drive? otherwise its not as easy. im chasidish, I moved a little while ago, there are shuttles, 3 car services. and uber(which I dont use) I use car service almost daily and I get them all the time. they are a pleasure to deal with. there are not enough side walks, they are working on improving that. its a lifestyle you can get used to. its a matter of perspective. and a willingness. its not an easy change but you can do it.

there is rav palers kollel and there are chasidish people in that kollel. so you are most definitely welcome. lakewood is more welcom then some want to say so. I live here and im very happy. you need to move near your type of crowd. that is key.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:21 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
you could get a basement rental in harmony for 800$

op, do you drive? otherwise its not as easy. im chasidish, I moved a little while ago, there are shuttles, 3 car services. and uber(which I dont use) I use car service almost daily and I get them all the time. they are a pleasure to deal with. there are not enough side walks, they are working on improving that. its a lifestyle you can get used to. its a matter of perspective. and a willingness. its not an easy change but you can do it.

there is rav palers kollel and there are chasidish people in that kollel. so you are most definitely welcome. lakewood is more welcom then some want to say so. I live here and im very happy. you need to move near your type of crowd. that is key.

Thanks for the info and positivity. We currently don't own a car and I'd love for it to stay that way to keep expenses down (I mentioned kollel, right:-) If it isn't possible I have to know to take that into consideration when looking at expenses.

How does the rental vs. buying make sense, though? A 600K townhouse is not cheap. Why is the rental so cheap, then?

We are looking to buy, but was wondering about potential income.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:24 pm
We bought in the chassidish development in jackson for just under 5

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:25 pm
Its rare to get $1300 for a basement these days

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:25 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
We bought in the chassidish development in jackson for just under 5

Is that a townhouse? How many attached houses? Would love something at least semi private....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating