Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Tell me something I don't know (Jewish!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

dankbar

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:02 pm
Skverer rebbe was the first to found a kolel In America after war. Tzelimer Rav was first to found a yeshiva in America after war

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:14 pm
Some Jewish communities in Latvia were established by Jews fleeing the Chelmenytsky(sp?) pogroms of 1648.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:18 pm
Oliver Sacks was the Uncle of Jonathan Sacks. Strangely, when you google this 2 contradicting results come up. One saying they are not related ( https://leftfootforward.org/20.....uary/ )the other an obit by Rabbi Sacks on his uncle. https://www.theguardian.com/bo.....nings

They really do look alike.

sub

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:27 pm
If you knead dough with your ring on your finger, you don’t have to remove it for ntilat yadayim

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 4:48 pm
The story with George Washington and the menorah at valley Forge is complete.. well forgery-

https://people.ucalgary.ca/~el......html

windchime

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:28 pm
yerushamama wrote:
Binyamin was a werewolf

source: Otzer P'laos HaTorah
[quote]
That is really scary. What is it suppose to mean?

MiriFr

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:30 pm
sub wrote:
If you knead dough with your ring on your finger, you don’t have to remove it for ntilat yadayim

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Cool!

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:38 pm
In Dec. 1862, Ulysses S. Grant issued an order expelling all Jews from Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. President Lincoln revoked it 3 weeks later.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:41 pm
Raisin wrote:
Oliver Sacks was the Uncle of Jonathan Sacks. Strangely, when you google this 2 contradicting results come up. One saying they are not related ( https://leftfootforward.org/20.....uary/ )the other an obit by Rabbi Sacks on his uncle. https://www.theguardian.com/bo.....nings

They really do look alike.

That is an elegant obit. And maybe they do look alike. But is it the same Jonathan Sacks?

bbhem5

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:51 pm
The first Parah Adumah had a name - Batsheva Eim Shlomo.

pause

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:59 pm
Not everyone agrees that onion is shehakol unless fried. There are sects who hold raw onion is ha'adama.

Laiya

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:12 pm
Some Jewish communities in Southern Hungary were established by Jews moving southward from Austria in the second half of the 1700's, following Joseph II's Edicts of Tolerance that finally gave permission to Jews to live in different areas.

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:26 pm
sub wrote:

When do you not have to remove it? When you wash for that bread that you kneaded?

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:53 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
When do you not have to remove it? When you wash for that bread that you kneaded?

I believe the concept is that if you never remove your ring, it’s not a chatzitza.

ccwife

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:56 pm
sub wrote:

I've heard that! Everyone should ask their own shaila though. I was told that we don't hold of it.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:09 pm
Laiya wrote:
In Dec. 1862, Ulysses S. Grant issued an order expelling all Jews from Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee. President Lincoln revoked it 3 weeks later.

What!!!

Cmon be nice

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:02 pm
giselle wrote:
I believe the concept is that if you never remove your ring, it’s not a chatzitza.

Similar to mikva

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:16 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Similar to mikva

On that note. My sister has several earring in her ear, some of which she never takes out therefore she was told it wasn't a chatiza for mikvah.

sub

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:10 pm
Gingertop
Thank you for starting this thread.

Einikel

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:16 pm
Fleishman’s was bought by a Jew, Fleishman,after he stayed in that area and was denied entry in a hotel because he was Jewish.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics