Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
BCBA / LBA- time sensitive

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 09 2019, 6:58 pm
Hey all!

I’m looking into becoming a BCBA but heard that in New York State you have to go through a much more intensive certification program. What does that mean for people that are already BCBAs? It’s triple the price to do the LBA and I don’t want to do it if it’s not 100% needed.

Tia

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 9:51 pm
I have the same question....

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:02 pm
If you want to work in NY you need to be licensed and go through the full process- including paying more. I'm in the field and love it, but there are a lot of reasons that people don't so please find out if its the right field for you before investing the time and money into it.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
If you want to work in NY you need to be licensed and go through the full process- including paying more. I'm in the field and love it, but there are a lot of reasons that people don't so please find out if its the right field for you before investing the time and money into it.

can you be more specific about what you love about it and what you've heard people don't like about it?

looking into it as well...

keeplearning

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:10 pm
If you want to work for an agency which bills health insurance ( which is where you will find almost all BCBA jobs) then you need to be a Licensed Behavior Analyst.
The LBA requires 1500 hours of supervised experience working with clients with an ASD ( autism) diagnoses, and can only begin once you complete your education.
When you are ready to begin your supervised hours, you may be able to work at an agency as a BCBA since some insurances allow BCBAs with permits ( but some don't so cases may be limited)
Things to keep in mind:
1- In general there is a high demand for BCBAs in the NY area.
2- Depending on where you live, check in to what opportunities are available once you become an LBA. Many cases may be after-school hours.

sbs

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:14 pm
keeplearning wrote:
If you want to work for an agency which bills health insurance ( which is where you will find almost all BCBA jobs) then you need to be a Licensed Behavior Analyst.
The LBA requires 1500 hours of supervised experience working with clients with an ASD ( autism) diagnoses, and can only begin once you complete your education.
When you are ready to begin your supervised hours, you may be able to work at an agency as a BCBA since some insurances allow BCBAs with permits ( but some don't so cases may be limited)
Things to keep in mind:
1- In general there is a high demand for BCBAs in the NY area.
2- Depending on where you live, check in to what opportunities are available once you become an LBA. Many cases may be after-school hours.

I just want to clarify that you with the right supervision and job, you can begin counting supervised hours while still in your coursework, as long as it's part of a practicuum and most hours can count as BCBA and LBA hours so you don't need to accrue 1500 twice
you just have to make sure all the requirements are met
most programs for LBA will include BCBA so you'll be able to practice out of NY state as well

alwayscooking

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:22 pm
What is the going rate for BCBA hourly recently I heard the insurances are paying less?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics