Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Really interesting produce in Hispanic stores
Previous  1  2  3

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:32 pm
shyshira wrote:
In response to a comment that all produce sold in the winter is imported I made two separate comments. (1) Apples eaten during the winter are grown locally (2) We have greenhouses.

I'm aware apples are grown in orchards, I mentioned it in my post.

Your posts are not clear on this issue. I am unclear how you having greenhouses relates to imported apples.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:49 pm
Squishy wrote:
Your posts are not clear on this issue. I am unclear how you having greenhouses relates to imported apples.

Trying again.

In response to the claim that in the winter all of our produce is imported. Here is evidence that this is false.

(1) Most of the apples sold in the supermarket in the winter, in areas that have apple orchards, are not imported apples, they are locally grown apples.

(2) Some greenhouses operate in four seasons which means that there is locally produced produce available for consumers in the winter.

Forgive me. I leave my memo writing for my paid employment.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:12 pm
shyshira wrote:
Trying again.

In response to the claim that in the winter all of our produce is imported. Here is evidence that this is false.

(1) Most of the apples sold in the supermarket in the winter, in areas that have apple orchards, are not imported apples, they are locally grown apples.

(2) Some greenhouses operate in four seasons which means that there is locally produced produce available for consumers in the winter.

Forgive me. I leave my memo writing for my paid employment.

I guess that I am always seeing imported stuff and that is why we are careful not to buy Israeli produce sold in American stores because of terumah and misra. I see a lot of produce from Mexico and I think all citrus is imported.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:29 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I guess that I am always seeing imported stuff and that is why we are careful not to buy Israeli produce sold in American stores because of terumah and misra. I see a lot of produce from Mexico and I think all citrus is imported.

Your post about breadfruit got me wondering why some tropical fruits gain (or gained) popularity outside of tropical regions, and others don't. (cued up for late night reading... the history of banana import).

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:54 am
Squishy wrote:
I tried your baking method. High heat and PAM delicious.

Some things like empanadas need to be fried. I don't like them baked, but maybe I could try with PAM.

I never fry them. I don't like serving too much fried food. I spray the top with pam though. My kids never complained...about the empanadas needing to be fried Wink .

And I bought the yucca and made them. I liked it, but my kids were half and half liking them.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:52 am
shyshira wrote:
Your post about breadfruit got me wondering why some tropical fruits gain (or gained) popularity outside of tropical regions, and others don't. (cued up for late night reading... the history of banana import).

The history of food migration is a fascinating subject and there have been books written about it. I've read a few of them myself being somewhat of a history geek - aside from the obvious in terms of how the ability to domesticate the growth of grain turned the Fertile Crescent in the Mesopotamia area from nomadic hunting/gathering societies into societies which could support larger towns and cities.

Think of how sugar growing in the Caribbean created the Triangular Trade Route and had some impact on the US Revolutionary War.

Potatoes were unknown in Europe until being brought back from the New World by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1589. It's hard to believe that since it's such a ubiquitous food for peasants. The ability for peasants to grow it in relatively hard scrabble land made it an extremely important food source. But then came the Irish Potato Famine which killed millions in Ireland - caused the great migration to the US and might in some ways have been responsible for the extreme hatred between Ireland and the UK because of the lack of humanitarian response to the plight of the starving Irish.

I think the popularity of certain foods like bananas has much to do with the ability to transport them from their tropical farms to Europe and the US. I believe this would have occurred with the rise of steamships as bananas could be picked unripe and arrive in port without spoiling. Other more delicate fruits needed cheap faster cooled forms of transportation.

There are lots of children's stories in which an orange is described as being the most wonderful tasting experience a child has experience. My Bubbe (who emigrated from Poland in 1930) remembers being sick and HER Bubbe going to extreme lengths to get her an orange. And this was in relatively metropolitan Plotsk - not a remote shtetl.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total

egam

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:21 am
The Talmud says that one of the first questions we're asked after 120 is: "Did you taste all of God's fruits?". And while there are many explanations to this, the literal meaning still stands.
I’ve noticed that many people, Jewish and not Jewish alike, are very reluctant to try new things. We constantly shop in Asian and Spanish markets. While we didn’t try everything yet, we had a lot. It’s usually not an easy task for our family to find a new fruit for Rosh Hashona, as we eat them all during the year.
We are yet to try yucca and breadfruit though. But we love yucca chips.
And sure I went to the Thai restaurant in Los Angeles, how could I not try that?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:25 am
Speaking of fruits, I LOVE LOVE LOVE lychees. They have short season and are currently available or should be.

If there is a good Asian grocery near you, best to buy them there as the price per pound in a regular store is super high versus what I pay for it when I make a run to 99 Ranch here in Southern California.

egam

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:44 am
Amarante wrote:
Speaking of fruits, I LOVE LOVE LOVE lychees. They have short season and are currently available or should be.

If there is a good Asian grocery near you, best to buy them there as the price per pound in a regular store is super high versus what I pay for it when I make a run to 99 Ranch here in Southern California.

Love them! We were lucky enough to be in the Fruit and Spice park in Florida during longan season. We couldn’t leave 😂.
Also I always thought that I didn’t like star fruit until I tried tree ripened one in the same park. No comparison to the store bought.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:57 am
Squishy wrote:

Sushi is now in most pizza stores. I ordered sushi and it came with ketchup! Spicy tuna is loaded with black pepper! Until it was ubiquitous, I couldn't even get my friends to try it. Now they like cooked rolls. Some of them have cream cheese and lox. Not kidding. It's tofu cheam cheese for Shabbos. .

Not all fusion cuisine is bad. Wolfgang Puck's Spago restaurant which was one of the pioneering forces for New California cuisine also launched "gourmet pizzas" - for better or worse. LOL One of his most famous off-menu creations is the Smoked Salmon Pizza

https://www.masterclass.com/ar.....spago

There is a famous Korean restauranteur in Los Angeles who started his restaurant empire with a food truck doing fusion Korean/Mexican food - e.g. tacos stuffed with Korean short ribs.

Of course ketchup with sushi is just wrong any way it is chopped, sliced or diced. It brings to mind the classic story about the clueless do-good social workers at the turn of the century who handed out recipes to the immigrants including recipes to the Italian women for spaghetti sauce made from ketchup. LOL LOL
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics