Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Does such a community exist?
1  2  Next

ThisMom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:21 pm
I'm looking into communities around the U.S. and feel like I'm running in circles! Banging head Could be I'm asking for a lot but figure I'd give it a shot and see if someone knows something I haven't tried!

A little about us: We're yeshivish BT's who also work, are growth oriented, take our avodas Hashem very seriously & enjoy it, but also embrace other "types" with love and not necessarily looking for a homogeneous community. Just one that also has a solid niche like us & resources accordingly.

Financials: My husband will be in software developing and hopefully part of the night kollel in some way. I'll be PT working/PT mommying. So can't be a place you need to make tons to live comfortably

Housing Budget: private 3BR house under 215k that doesn't need renovations
Schools: has at least 2 orthodox elementary schools and one local yeshiva/HS. Scholarships/vouchers for tuition
Safety: Can walk alone at night, toys/strollers not stolen if left out, cars not broken into (high standards huh?)
Weather: Is it possible to have good weather? Ie not extremely brutal winters and not boiling hot summers? We'd lean more towards warm though if we had to choose.

Please tell me if you know a community like this! And if so, can you list what the demographic, housing, school, safety and weather situations are like there?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:37 pm
It sounds like Cleveland ticks off most of your boxes.

It's a pretty mixed kind of community. There are a few neighborhoods with slightly different demographics, but all are varied and accepting.

There are a number of kollelim in town, so your husband should find somewhere to learn night seder. I would recommend you only move with a set job though, because a number of people have been moving here without jobs and some find the market tough.

Housing is pretty cheap here. You can definitely find something decent in your budget.

There are 3 elementary schools: Co-ed modern, middle-of-the-road mixed crowd, and more right wing. They have (girls) high schools attached. There's a new Chofetz Chaim yeshiva high school and there's Telshe Yeshiva.

There are vouchers for tuition based on where you live or income.

The neighborhood I live in is very safe. The other one is pretty safe, too, I think.

The weather is the one thing that doesn't really fit your criteria. The winters are pretty cold and snowy. But they're manageable and you get used to them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:39 pm
Detroit?

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:53 pm
I also thought Cleveland once I saw your housing budget, desire for vouchers, and # of schools desired. Weather is not mild, though. When I first started reading, Pittsburgh came to mind, it's friendly and laid back, but housing is more expensive than that and no vouchers. Good tech job market though.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:19 pm
JessD wrote:
I'm looking into communities around the U.S. and feel like I'm running in circles! Banging head Could be I'm asking for a lot but figure I'd give it a shot and see if someone knows something I haven't tried!

A little about us: We're yeshivish BT's who also work, are growth oriented, take our avodas Hashem very seriously & enjoy it, but also embrace other "types" with love and not necessarily looking for a homogeneous community. Just one that also has a solid niche like us & resources accordingly.

Financials: My husband will be in software developing and hopefully part of the night kollel in some way. I'll be PT working/PT mommying. So can't be a place you need to make tons to live comfortably

Housing Budget: private 3BR house under 215k that doesn't need renovations
Schools: has at least 2 orthodox elementary schools and one local yeshiva/HS. Scholarships/vouchers for tuition
Safety: Can walk alone at night, toys/strollers not stolen if left out, cars not broken into (high standards huh?)
Weather: Is it possible to have good weather? Ie not extremely brutal winters and not boiling hot summers? We'd lean more towards warm though if we had to choose.

Please tell me if you know a community like this! And if so, can you list what the demographic, housing, school, safety and weather situations are like there?

No suggestions, but it sounds like you and I would get along very well. I'll be following this thread.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:13 pm
Detroit and cleveland hit most items besides weather. Cincinnati has nicer weather but not a lot of school options. What about Baltimore? From the research I’ve done, other than lkwd most right wing elementary schools charge give or take 12k a head.

ThisMom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:39 pm
Thanks ladies!

(In case this helps other people in a same situation)

So cleveland is top of our list now cuz it does meet all the other requirements but I’m praying there’s somewhere with less intense weather

In Detroit I know people don’t walk at night alone and some carry guns to shul for safety sooo that’s a red flag for me as far as how safe they feel there.

Baltimore housing is 350k for a private home in a safe area =\ and still might need work.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:38 pm
houston except there are no vouchers that I know of although education is definitely cheaper then the northeast. the weather is spring for 8 months of the year and intense summer for 4 months of the year

24-7

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:47 pm
I sent you a private message

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:05 pm
What about cherry Hill, nj. I don't have many details about the community but I have heard nice things. I think they have only one school though. The homes are s lot less expensive than in other communities.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:12 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
It sounds like Cleveland ticks off most of your boxes.

It's a pretty mixed kind of community. There are a few neighborhoods with slightly different demographics, but all are varied and accepting.

There are a number of kollelim in town, so your husband should find somewhere to learn night seder. I would recommend you only move with a set job though, because a number of people have been moving here without jobs and some find the market tough.

Housing is pretty cheap here. You can definitely find something decent in your budget.

There are 3 elementary schools: Co-ed modern, middle-of-the-road mixed crowd, and more right wing. They have (girls) high schools attached. There's a new Chofetz Chaim yeshiva high school and there's Telshe Yeshiva.

There are vouchers for tuition based on where you live or income.

The neighborhood I live in is very safe. The other one is pretty safe, too, I think.

The weather is the one thing that doesn't really fit your criteria. The winters are pretty cold and snowy. But they're manageable and you get used to them.

Echoing everything she said. Just want to re-emphasize- DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB! If I am not mistaken the schools will
Not be accepting new students if the parents move without a job. There simply is no way the schools can have enough resources for all the families who are strapped for cash.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:14 pm
Melbourne, Australia.

Except the house part.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:02 pm
[quote="amother [ Cobalt ]"]Echoing everything she said. Just want to re-emphasize- DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB! If I am not mistaken the schools will
Not be accepting new students if the parents move without a job. There simply is no way the schools can have enough resources for all the families who are strapped for cash.[/q]

Parents should move with a job obviously to be able to afford housing expenses, food, etc, but I don't see how that affects the school - doesn't the school get vouchers (money) from the state for the kids - they'll be getting money whether the parents have a job or not, isn't that true?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:05 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Echoing everything she said. Just want to re-emphasize- DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB! If I am not mistaken the schools will
Not be accepting new students if the parents move without a job. There simply is no way the schools can have enough resources for all the families who are strapped for cash.

I have actually heard that both HAC and YDT have closed registration for the upcoming school year. Please don't move anywhere unless you have schools set up beforehand.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:52 pm
JessD wrote:
Thanks ladies!

(In case this helps other people in a same situation)

So cleveland is top of our list now cuz it does meet all the other requirements but I’m praying there’s somewhere with less intense weather

In Detroit I know people don’t walk at night alone and some carry guns to shul for safety sooo that’s a red flag for me as far as how safe they feel there.

Baltimore housing is 350k for a private home in a safe area =\ and still might need work.

The frum people don't live in the dangerous part of Detroit. After the Pittsburgh shooting, one or two shuls instituted a policy where one or two members carried guns. It's not city-wide, and it's not a result of any crime here in Detroit. I think there is more crime in the frum area of Baltimore than the frum area in Detroit. I walk alone in Detroit as much as I walk alone at night in any other city.

However:
There are no vouchers
I have heard cars are occasionally broken into but we don't know anyone this happened to. Most people have garages anyway. I haven't heard of strollers etc being stolen but like cars, I would keep in garage.
Winters are pretty brutal but the rest of the year is wonderful. I prefer a Michigan winter to a Baltimore spring and summer with brutal humidity.
Otherwise, Detroit ticks off your boxes.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:56 pm
Perhaps look into South Bend, Indiana!

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:52 am
You can for sure get houses under $300k in Baltimore. I bought my 5 bedroom LARGE semi-detached for $210K 3 years ago. The market has gone up, but I've seen under $300K recently. The pricing does vary here, so it might be you're looking in the wrong area in Baltimore.

That said I would not leave toys or bikes outside. They will get stolen. People do it and don't have stuff stolen, but I wouldn't press my luck.

I also wouldn't walk more than a few blocks alone at night. But I would walk it with my husband or even teen kids.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:05 am
[quote="amother [ Jetblack ]"]
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Not be accepting new students if the parents move without a job. There simply is no way the schools can have enough resources for all the families who are strapped for cash.[/q]

Parents should move with a job obviously to be able to afford housing expenses, food, etc, but I don't see how that affects the school - doesn't the school get vouchers (money) from the state for the kids - they'll be getting money whether the parents have a job or not, isn't that true?

edchoice doesn't cover the full cost of tuition. If parents earn less then a certain amount the school can't charge the difference. Lets say tuition is 12,000, ed choice is 4,000 and you can't charge the rest if parents are low income. That's an 8,000 deficit for each child that moves in and if the community becomes the go to place for such people to come to in droves you now need more classes- more teachers, bigger building... the community's resources are also pread thinner because now there are more people needing tzedakah...

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:55 am
Memphis!!! The young israel is filled with many people like you. Everyone is friendly and nice. Great school. You will love it!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:28 am
Atlanta?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating