Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is 2 pounds a week an achievable goal?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:40 pm
Asking for a freind. Tongue Out

I have been careful of my food intake but I don't like to count calories or to do excessive excersize.

I want to lose 2 pds a week. What do I need to do?

simba

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:46 pm
It depends on many factors.

If you are male it is possible.
If you are female its possible as a start but hard to maintain.
Also depends on how much you have to lose total. The closer you get to your goal the slower the scale will move.

Eat healthy, exercise and don't obsess the scale.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:50 pm
Achievable? Yes. Healthy? No.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:52 pm
IME the only way to lose consistently is to follow a consistent plan. It doesn't have to be calorie counting, but it does have to be more specific than "eat healthy" or "eat less."

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:07 pm
simba wrote:
It depends on many factors.

If you are male it is possible.
If you are female its possible as a start but hard to maintain.
Also depends on how much you have to lose total. The closer you get to your goal the slower the scale will move.

Eat healthy, exercise and don't obsess the scale.

Hm...
I have to lose 50 pounds to get back to my ideal weight which will most likely not happen very soon.
My realistic goal is to lose 20 pounds.

In order to fit into my dress for my son's bar mitzvah I'll have to lose 14 pounds.
It's in 7 weeks.
I so didn't want to have to deal with the seamstress and all. Crying

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:10 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
IME the only way to lose consistently is to follow a consistent plan. It doesn't have to be calorie counting, but it does have to be more specific than "eat healthy" or "eat less."

I have a very specific plan. I'm not calorie counting but I know that a cup of sweet soda has more empty calories than a peice of chicken.

If I count I'm on a 1200 calorie diet with cheating every single Shabbos. (Consistently Wink )

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:14 pm
If you want to lose inflammation, you might not need to lose the full amounts to fit into something. My weight was pretty stable for a year but some of my clothing was huge. If you are not alreDy low carb, keep eating your 1200 calories and get rid of sugar, grains, starch and fruit. Stop cheating on Shabbat. I bet you’ll fit in no time. Be prepared for inflammation weight to come right back when you start eating the stuff again. It’s a hack to do it for this purpose but it should work.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:31 pm
andrea levy wrote:
If you want to lose inflammation, you might not need to lose the full amounts to fit into something. My weight was pretty stable for a year but some of my clothing was huge. If you are not alreDy low carb, keep eating your 1200 calories and get rid of sugar, grains, starch and fruit. Stop cheating on Shabbat. I bet you’ll fit in no time. Be prepared for inflammation weight to come right back when you start eating the stuff again. It’s a hack to do it for this purpose but it should work.

Thanks for this
I'm off sugar I'm off starch except 2 oz oats but I can't see myself surviving without some fruit!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for this
I'm off sugar I'm off starch except 2 oz oats but I can't see myself surviving without some fruit!

For me, that would be enough to retain water. It’s only 7 weeks. You want your best chance of fitting in the dress? It might help. I’m not pro crash dieting but you’re already at 1200 cals. Most ppl cannot sustain lower.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:56 pm
Or intermittent fasting. But you have to make sure you don’t binge when you eat. Takes some getting used to. I’m all about the long haul. But that’s not what you asked. I don’t think 14 pounds in 7 weeks is crazy if you can lose water weight and get smaller. I weigh twenty pounds more in some pictures and look fifty pounds smaller. Crazy.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:06 pm
On weeks that I followed the diet plan and did 2-3 strenuous (20-30min) exercise sessions, I lost 2lbs. Otherwise I lost Maybe one lb.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:11 am
You can do it. Make an appointment with a nutritionist pronto. I found a place that takes my insurance and took the first appointment available even though it was 7am.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:08 am
No, if you loose like that you will probably gain it all back fast.
Perhaps the first week you might loose 2 pounds but after that you can anticipate about 1 pound a week (which means sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less).
This will only happen if you stick with your plan. I’m doing weight watchers (for years) and it’s very doable. You don’t walk around starving at all.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a very specific plan. I'm not calorie counting but I know that a cup of sweet soda has more empty calories than a peice of chicken.

If I count I'm on a 1200 calorie diet with cheating every single Shabbos. (Consistently Wink )

Are you counting accurately? Many times people underestimate how many calories they are consuming.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:16 am
giselle wrote:
Are you counting accurately? Many times people underestimate how many calories they are consuming.

You're right. Is there a way to make sure?

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You're right. Is there a way to make sure?

It sounded to me like you were just estimating and not actually calculating. Look up how many calories are in the foods you eat and use a calculator.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:57 am
giselle wrote:
It sounded to me like you were just estimating and not actually calculating. Look up how many calories are in the foods you eat and use a calculator.

I do that.

I thought you were talking about weighing my Apple or my peice of chicken and counting according to weight.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do that.

I thought you were talking about weighing my Apple or my peice of chicken and counting according to weight.

You can do that too

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:12 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
No, if you loose like that you will probably gain it all back fast.
Perhaps the first week you might loose 2 pounds but after that you can anticipate about 1 pound a week (which means sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less).
This will only happen if you stick with your plan. I’m doing weight watchers (for years) and it’s very doable. You don’t walk around starving at all.

She is asking how to fit in a dress in 7 weeks, not maintain. My answer is geared to that. Personally I have been following my own food plan strictly for over two years and after a plateau of about a year am losing again. Maintenance is my top priority not further weight loss. I’d just buy a dress that fit me if I was in op’s shoes.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:34 am
The easy basic advice would be to aim for vegetable heavy meals and scheduled exercise sessions a couple times a week. A good nutritionist can tailor it to your unique body.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise