Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Tell me something I don't know (Jewish!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

wiki

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:03 am
gingertop wrote:
20% of ALL books published incunabula (the first 50 years of the Gutenberg press) were sifrei Kodesh!

20 percent of titles, or of copies printed?

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:39 am
wiki wrote:
20 percent of titles, or of copies printed?

Known titles. Also, 1/5th of all printing presses at that time were Jewish- this was before x-tian publishing of Jewish books. Unfortunately, from those 29 Hebrew printing presses, five were in Spain and four in Portugal. The Iberian Peninsula books were superior to the rest - they were created of vellum, not paper pulp. But so few survived because printing only happened for approximately 20 years there before the expulsions. Even before the expulsion, the Inquisition routinely burned Jewish books. Sad

Altogether, sifrei kodesh were meant to be used- machzorim, siddurim are not just books that sit on the shelf! So there are very few full incunabula seforim left.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 1:42 am
The earliest surviving Spanish printed sefer is the peirush of Rashi, published by Shlomo Alkebetz- the grandfather and namesake of the composer of Lecha Dodi.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:09 am
There is an opinion that the nachash was a Neanderthal and he was trying to seduce Chava.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:31 am
Yellow was considered a Jewish color by anti-Semites because spice merchants (many of whom were Jewish) used to have yellow hands from handling saffron.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:34 am
And talking of Jewish colors, the blue stripes on the Israeli flag is meant to represent tcheiles. (In most flags, blue represents justice, prosperity, good fortune)

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:35 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
There is an opinion that the nachash was a Neanderthal and he was trying to seduce Chava.

What is a Neanderthal? Is it like half monkey?

salt

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:03 am
gingertop wrote:
Yellow was considered a Jewish color by anti-Semites because spice merchants (many of whom were Jewish) used to have yellow hands from handling saffron.

Interesting. Is that why the Star in Nazi Germany was yellow, do you think?

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 6:12 am
salt wrote:
Interesting. Is that why the Star in Nazi Germany was yellow, do you think?

That and because it's a noticeable color that set up Jews for abuse.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:00 am
momsrus wrote:
What is a Neanderthal? Is it like half monkey?

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evi.....ensis

From link:

Neanderthals (the ‘th’ pronounced as ‘t’) are our closest extinct human relative.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
That is an elegant obit. And maybe they do look alike. But is it the same Jonathan Sacks?

yes, seems so.

http://www.eilatgordinlevitan.......html

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:18 am
sub wrote:
If you knead dough with your ring on your finger, you don’t have to remove it for ntilat yadayim

Then you have to kosher your rings before pesach.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:21 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Then you have to kosher your rings before pesach.

I'm curious, I never take off my rings. But when I make challah I always put on gloves. Bc I feel I can never get under my fingernails clean... Is it the same thing?

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

That’s fascinating, and that would have to be following the controversial opinion that Neanderthals were around before man. Or is there a different explanation?

Last edited by giselle on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:29 am
giselle wrote:
That’s fascinating, and that would have the be following the controversial opinion that Neanderthals were around before man. Or is there a different explanation?

I believe there is an opinion that they where around before the mabul.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:41 am
Raisin wrote:
yes, seems so.

This is fascinating.
And Abba Eban was Rabbi Sacks' first cousin once removed? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff but not in this format. If I had the time I'd write it out to see for myself.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:44 am
giselle wrote:
That’s fascinating, and that would have the be following the controversial opinion that Neanderthals were around before man. Or is there a different explanation?

I’ve heard that Neanderthals were a different species. Not that they were mans earliest relative. And they were all destroyed in the mabul. Like the dinosaurs.

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:53 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’ve heard that Neanderthals were a different species. Not that they were mans earliest relative. And they were all destroyed in the mabul. Like the dinosaurs.

Do you know any sources?

mo5

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:40 am
Raisin wrote:
yes, seems so.

Based on the obituary, Oliver sacks brother is David and sister in law is lily. Not the names of Jonathan sacks parents

merrygold

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:20 am
sub wrote:
If you knead dough with your ring on your finger, you don’t have to remove it for ntilat yadayim

Acc. to my rav, if you knead dough with your rings on, you don't have to take them off for mikva either.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics