Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Tell me something I don't know (Jewish!)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

merrygold

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:24 am
The swastika was around long before the Nazi's and had been a symbol of good luck in many cultures.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:12 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’ve heard that Neanderthals were a different species. Not that they were mans earliest relative.

The Wikipedia entry for Neanderthal says:

Ever since the discovery of the Neanderthal fossils, expert opinion has been divided as to whether Neanderthals should be considered a separate species (Homo neanderthalensis) or a subspecies (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) relative to modern humans. Pääbo (2014) described such "taxonomic wars" as unresolveable in principle, "since there is no definition of species perfectly describing the case."

Also, no one here said they are "mans earliest relative", singleagain called them "our closest extinct human relative". Aside from the confusion of "earliest" and "closest extinct", whether two lifeforms are "relatives" is even less well defined than whether they are different species, or different subspecies of the same species.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:14 am
giselle wrote:
Do you know any sources?

I also would like to know who said the nachash was one.

Forrealx

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:16 am
Once there came a man to the vizhnitzer rebbe who wanted to make a photo of him. The rebbe didn’t want that because he doesn’t like photography and think it’s assur... then another guy explained that this man was a photographer and that it was for his parnassa the rebbe stroke his beard in a gently shape and posed for a picture for the parnassa of another yid

sirel

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:16 am
Quote:
And talking of Jewish colors, the blue stripes on the Israeli flag is meant to represent tcheiles. (In most flags, blue represents justice, prosperity, good fortune)

This goes with something I recently learned- the Israeli flag is supposed to look like a tallis.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:20 am
I'm skeptical of the neanderthal stuff. Sounds like a slifkin theory. [...]

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:23 am
Please take Neanderthal discuss to the Fantastic Beasts thread and leave this thread for Jewish trivia. Thanks!!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66166

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:41 am
imasoftov wrote:
The Wikipedia entry for Neanderthal says:

Ever since the discovery of the Neanderthal fossils, expert opinion has been divided as to whether Neanderthals should be considered a separate species (Homo neanderthalensis) or a subspecies (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) relative to modern humans. Pääbo (2014) described such "taxonomic wars" as unresolveable in principle, "since there is no definition of species perfectly describing the case."

Also, no one here said they are "mans earliest relative", singleagain called them "our closest extinct human relative". Aside from the confusion of "earliest" and "closest extinct", whether two lifeforms are "relatives" is even less well defined than whether they are different species, or different subspecies of the same species.

Ummmmm....

I’m not sure if you’re disagreeing with me or trying to expound on what I said? Scratching Head

leah233

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:11 pm
giselle wrote:
Rabbi Slifkin writes about this in his book, Sacred Monsters. He quotes Rabbeinu Ephraim ben Shimshon who discusses how Binyamin was a werewolf who ate Rachel when she was giving birth to him. Rabbi Slifkin says that this is a mistaken belief based on the beliefs of that time.

This is a standard Slifkin straw man argument and idea.

I googled Rabbeinu Ephraim ben Shimshon. Other than Slifkin and his crowd no one else seems to have ever heard of him.

The manuscript Slifkin gives a link to clearly says it was hidden for over 800 years AND put out with many correction.

If such a person existed and was actually a Talmid Chochom and really wrote such things then he must have been a mystic who wasn't writing something non mystics could understand.

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:34 pm
singleagain wrote:
http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/homo-neanderthalensis

From link:

Neanderthals (the ‘th’ pronounced as ‘t’) are our closest extinct human relative.

I tried googling it too.

All links say they lives 40000-400000 years ago.

We don’t believe that stuff.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:43 pm
momsrus wrote:
I tried googling it too.

I believe that the was a flood and that the water pressure can change the way time is measured. So just bc they said four hundred thousand, doesn't mean it's true

Laiya

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:37 pm
leah233 wrote:
This is a standard Slifkin straw man argument and idea.

I googled Rabbeinu Ephraim ben Shimshon. Other than Slifkin and his crowd no one else seems to have ever heard of him.

The manuscript Slifkin gives a link to clearly says it was hidden for over 800 years AND put out with many correction.

If such a person existed and was actually a Talmid Chochom and really wrote such things then he must have been a mystic who wasn't writing something non mystics could understand.

Are you saying that Rabbi Slifkin made up the source? That's a serious allegation.

sub

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:47 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
There is an opinion that the nachash was a Neanderthal and he was trying to seduce Chava.

My husband learned that he tried to seduce Chava. I don't remember what shape or form he showed in. But remember, we are taught that he had legs.

leah233

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:08 pm
Laiya wrote:
Are you saying that Rabbi Slifkin made up the source? That's a serious allegation.

I'm not saying he made up the source in itself.

I'm saying he found a previously unknown manuscript of unknown authorship and unknown veracity and claimed or at least implied it was a mainstream Jewish opinion in medieval times(and possibly even today). That is seriously bending the truth.

I will also say that having previously done google searches and fact checking on some of Slifkins claims I really don't find him to be a reliable source of information. At all.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:13 pm
gingertop wrote:
Please take Neanderthal discuss to the Fantastic Beasts thread and leave this thread for Jewish trivia. Thanks!!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66166

I really wanted a lighter thread, without controversy.

I guess I should just give up.

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:14 pm
momsrus wrote:
I tried googling it too.

Pretty sad that I got a hug for stating a basic Jewish belief, that the world was not created 400000 years ago.

sub

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:19 pm
gingertop wrote:

No. This was a great idea.
Everyone please keep to Gingertop’s request.
Thanx

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:19 pm
mo5 wrote:
Based on the obituary, Oliver sacks brother is David and sister in law is lily. Not the names of Jonathan sacks parents

And I was surprised that there was no, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks was chief rabbi of England, etc.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:21 pm
momsrus wrote:
Pretty sad that I got a hug for stating a basic Jewish belief, that the world was not created 400000 years ago.

Because its not a "basic Jewish belief."

What did a "day" mean before Hashem created the sun and the moon? What did it mean before the mabul?

proudmomma

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:33 pm
gingertop wrote:

I'm sorry if I ruined it with my post about the shvatim having superpowers.

Michal ,the daughter of Shaul Hamelech & wife of Dovid , donned Tefillin daily.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics