Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Parenting Teenagers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:32 am
My oldest is entering the teen stage and I feel helpless and completely knowledgeable.
I took a parenting course that covered children, so I feel more empowered. Now I feel powerless.

Are there any good books that I can read?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:18 pm
"Parenting Teens with Love and Logic". Absolutely the best book ever, especially if you have a teen who loves to argue with you. It worked wonders on my oppositional DD.

Remember that hormones and uneven brain development is creating complete havoc right now. The emotional part of the brain is growing much faster than the logic processing part of the brain. That explains the tantrums and really stupid decisions.

Your teen will insist that they don't need you anymore, but they need you more than ever. Guide them very gently, and be there to catch them when they fall (and they will, a lot.)

Right now, your teen needs to know that no matter how big a jerk they are being, you will always love them. The more you want to get away from your teen, the more your teen needs your attention and closeness.

DD just turned 16, and she's finally starting to resemble a civilized human being. Hang in there!

baltomom

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:21 pm
Mrs. Rivka Levitansky gives a class specifically for parenting teens. positiveparentinglive.com

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics