Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Charnie Vs Trany
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:52 pm
I know this is a random question but is Charny and Trany the same name? Are they pronounced the same?
Thanks.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:53 pm
They're 2 different names and are pronounced differently.
Charna
Trana

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 2:54 pm
Two different names

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:03 pm
Asking respectfully- do people call their kids Tranny? I thought it was pretty well known that its a deregetory term that refers to transgender...

momsrus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Asking respectfully- do people call their kids Tranny? I thought it was pretty well known that its a deregetory term that refers to transgender...

Lol. It was the skvere rebetzins . There are hundreds if not thousands of trannys living there.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:11 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

The a is not pronounced that way - more like the a sound in drawing. so Traw-nee.
They are two different names - Charna is Polish, but used by Chassidim (as is the case with many Yiddish names). I don't know about Trana.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:24 pm
Tranny is the worst name in the history of names. I work in a hospital and see lots of tranny’s: I don’t need to tell you people don’t know to pronounce it with a hard A.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:37 pm
Every Skvere family has a Trany. I don't think anyone else besides Skvere gives this name.
I never heard that Trany refers to transgender.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:48 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Every Skvere family has a Trany. I don't think anyone else besides Skvere gives this name.
I never heard that Trany refers to transgender.

It’s because you may not have that sort of contact with the outside world. It refers to transgender people in a negative, mocking way. Its a terrible name, no disrespect meant to the Rebbetzin whose name it was

creditcards

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 3:53 pm
The ones who have this name that I know of pronounce it with a reish. And an o sound. Tronny. Like in Mommy.
They probably aren't familiar with transgender either. I wasn't until I was well into my adult life. I don't think everyone in my community knows what the term means.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:03 pm
creditcards wrote:
The ones who have this name that I know of pronounce it with a reish. And an o sound. Tronny. Like in Mommy.
They probably aren't familiar with transgender either. I wasn't until I was well into my adult life. I don't think everyone in my community knows what the term means.

They need to be advised to spell the name Tronny. Not Tranny.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:09 pm
Pesak zman, I watch enough TV, movies, and the news and never have I heard the word tranny used. Neither have I seen it on Instagram.....

creditcards

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:11 pm
pesek zman wrote:

I'm definitely not planning on educating any of them about transgender.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Pesak zman, I watch enough TV, movies, and the news and never have I heard the word tranny used. Neither have I seen it on Instagram.....

Its a blacklisted word on many platforms - meaning you won't hear it because it won't be said.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:16 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

That’s exactly the point. It’s a DEROGATORY name! It’s almost up there with the N word. If someone called a transgender person a tranny it would be highly offensive

provent

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:30 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Its a blacklisted word on many platforms - meaning you won't hear it because it won't be said.

This.
It's highly offensive and inappropriate.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 4:47 pm
pesek zman wrote:

It should be spelled Trawny like Dawn.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:38 pm
It is and should be Trany/Trani the way it is. All of Skver doesn't have to change the spelling of their kids names because it became an offensive word. They are naming their kids after their Rebbetzin Trana. (I think the Vilna Gaon's mother was Trana or Trayna also)
If someone wants to take offense, it's totally not their problem.
I mean, I'm chassidish but not as insulated as Skver and I didn't know about transgender till I was married at least a year or two... they don't know, and don't care - it's not part of their life!
Skver school in Monsey is "Bais Trany"

BTW, the R is pronounced with a rolling R as in reish, and the a is aaaah as in hot.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:51 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
It is and should be Trany/Trani the way it is. All of Skver doesn't have to change the spelling of their kids names because it became an offensive word. They are naming their kids after their Rebbetzin Trana. (I think the Vilna Gaon's mother was Trana or Trayna also)
If someone wants to take offense, it's totally not their problem.
I mean, I'm chassidish but not as insulated as Skver and I didn't know about transgender till I was married at least a year or two... they don't know, and don't care - it's not part of their life!
Skver school in Monsey is "Bais Trany"

BTW, the R is pronounced with a rolling R as in reish, and the a is aaaah as in hot.

That may be so. Skver isn’t my community (obviously) so I can’t campaign for them to change the English spelling of their names. But this name makes them mockable. I say the same about other cultures and ethnicities who have some names that sound ridiculous.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 5:55 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Because it's as bad as the N word for black people.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics