Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My daughter was dropped off alone
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:26 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I work in a day camp and I’m often the one who takes those kinds of calls. Obviously they aren’t supposed to let children off the bus alone, but sometimes things can happen. I probably would have told you the same thing as that secretary did because it’s after the fact and I can’t go back in time. But then I would have the camp director give the driver and bus counselor a good hiding do it doesn’t happen again. Hopefully she did that, even if she didn’t tell you.

Of course she did all she could. But it didn't calm me down Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OP, I think people are thrown off by the typo in your first post. You write "I can't home on time..." it seems clear from the rest that you meant you CAME home on time.

OP Was home on time, the bus came early.

You're right. It was a typo. I fixed it

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:40 pm
My daughter is a bus monitor for the day camp she's working at. She goes off the bus and makes sure there's an adult to be home with each child. When the bus was running early they knocked on the door and took the child back after they dropped off the last few kids.
OP, is there a neighbor waiting for her bus around the same time? Or just a neighbor who happens to be home at that time? Ask if she can look out for your daughter's bus around the time she comes home. Pay her or give gift. It will give you menuchas hanefesh too

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:41 pm
I am always home. My street is mostly empty for the summer. If the bus would've been on time I would have been there to pick her up.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:49 pm
OP, if you're always home for the bus, I would make a whole stink about this in school. I shudder to think what can happen to a kid alone on a deserted block. I would not let the matter go till it's taken care of. And tomorrow when your daughter comes home, make sure to give the driver a piece of your mind.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
OP, if you're always home for the bus, I would make a whole stink about this in school. I shudder to think what can happen to a kid alone on a deserted block. I would not let the matter go till it's taken care of. And tomorrow when your daughter comes home, make sure to give the driver a piece of your mind.

OP what you went through was horrible.

I hope the school/camp takes appropriate action with the bus driver.

Don't give him a piece of your mind.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:56 pm
There is no exact time for buses. They can arrive early or late. It is a parents responsibility to be home early enough incase the bus shows up early. You are saying this also happened twice last summer, thats more than enough for you to know its a possibility that the bus can arrive earlier.
That being said the bus driver should have taken your daughter back to camp, Why dont you call the bus company and find out what their policy is. I know some drivers are very strict with parents waiting while others are not.
Are you usually waiting at the bus or are you inside your house waiting for her to come in. If the driver knows youre usually inside then why would she think you werent home this time.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:57 pm
I’m so sorry that happened to your dd. In my area there’s not bussing for kids this young, this is probably why. But now you know you need to be home at least 15 minutes before the bus is due at your house. Kids can be absent, etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:00 pm
Last year when she went back to camp the driver called me to let me know he's running early.

The bus is never early. It's either right on time or 5-15 minutes late

chestnut

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are usually very responsible. Last year she was taken back to day camp twice over the summer.

I called to complain and the secretary (a high school graduate) was being all proper, "that's so unsafe that shouldn't have happened..." IT DID HAPPEN! THAT'S WHY I'M SO FREAKED OUT!

You speak to the camp director about it, not the secretary

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Last year when she went back to camp the driver called me to let me know he's running early.

The bus is never early. It's either right on time or 5-15 minutes late

It doesn’t matter, you need to be prepared for when they DO come early.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am always home. My street is mostly empty for the summer. If the bus would've been on time I would have been there to pick her up.

You always have to be prepared for the bus to be a bit earlier - kids didn't come/some stops skipped, etc.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:22 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
There is no exact time for buses. They can arrive early or late. It is a parents responsibility to be home early enough incase the bus shows up early. You are saying this also happened twice last summer, thats more than enough for you to know its a possibility that the bus can arrive earlier.
That being said the bus driver should have taken your daughter back to camp, Why dont you call the bus company and find out what their policy is. I know some drivers are very strict with parents waiting while others are not.
Are you usually waiting at the bus or are you inside your house waiting for her to come in. If the driver knows youre usually inside then why would she think you werent home this time.

This.
There is a window of time- before and after- when a parent needs to be home and waiting for the child. Buses are not scheduled to the minute. There is always the possibility of the time changing. As the mother, it is your responsibility to be home and waiting from the first possible time the child could be home. Expecting the driver to take responsibility for her is just negligent and wrong, especially if your daughter just walks in the house and you don't necessarily take her off the bus (I don't know if that is the case). If you are cutting it too close, make sure to have a backup plan, and don't expect a bus driver care for your child.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:23 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
It doesn’t matter, you need to be prepared for when they DO come early.

Like how early. 5 min, 10 min, 30 min, an hour, All day. We don’t know how early the bus came or how exact op was to the expected time.

Our bus driver requires you be outside when he pulls up. If he is nice he will honk. The child otherwise goes back to school. It’s a pain to be outside always in rain or snow or sun but it prevents situations like this.

chatz

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:30 pm
I love how people are turning this into blaming the op.

Dropping off a 3 year old with no adult present is just plain wrong, absolutely negligent, and most probably illegal.

The driver should have brought back the child to camp.

Einikel

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:31 pm
chatz wrote:

Dropping off a 3 year old with no adult present is just plain wrong, absolutely negligent, and most probably illegal.

You beat me to it!

bobeli

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:33 pm
I will recomend that all buses should use the glymps so you see exactly where he is, if you can't make it on time then you can do something about it, or catch the bus at a later stop.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:33 pm
sky wrote:
Like how early. 5 min, 10 min, 30 min, an hour, All day. We don’t know how early the bus came or how exact op was to the expected time.

Our bus driver requires you be outside when he pulls up. If he is nice he will honk. The child otherwise goes back to school. It’s a pain to be outside always in rain or snow or sun but it prevents situations like this.

I would say 15-20 minutes. Anything earlier than that, I would think that would be an earlier than typical dismissal, and camp would let you know.
Let’s say camp is over at 4:00, the first stop gets dropped off at 4:15, and my daughter usually gets home at 4:30. If she gets home 20 minutes earlier, at 4:10, that means camp ended earlier than usual. I would hope camp would let me know.

NurseK

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:01 pm
OMG!! THREE YEARS OLD?????? I am so traumatized just by reading this, I cannot imagine what you or ur DD were feeling!! My almost 3 year old would maybe run down the block and cross streets Gd Forbid trying to find me. I cant even let me mind go there!
Ugh. BH BH she is ok!!!!!!!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:21 pm
chatz wrote:

The camp is at fault for being very irresponsible and dropping off a young child without watching an adult take her inside.

The op is at fault because she missed the bus twice last summer and once this summer. She's also being irresponsible.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers