Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The movie Evan Almighty
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:09 pm
We just finished watching Evan Almighty and I"m wondering what you women think of it.

Do you think it was making fun of G-d and Noach and the entire ark story, or not? It is a very funny movie and we enjoyed it a lot, but I can't help wondering whay they had in mind.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 1:10 pm
My kids liked it a lot but it doesn't interest me at all.

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:45 pm
I plan on watching it, ill let you know after I see it

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 11:46 pm
The lesson Evan was supposed to learn was about ARK - Acts of Random Kindness.

I thought it was a cute movie but the ending (with the ark riding the wave into DC) was a bit cheesy.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 1:05 am
I think it's so cool that it coincided with Parshas Noach!!!

We love the main caractor (he's from "The Office", DH and my favorite show right now!!)

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 7:37 am
Didn't see the movie (yet), but I can't help but throw in this gratutitous Noach comedy reference. Never mind the video...just listen to the audio.

Tammy[/youtube]

cindy324

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 10:46 am
I watched it on the way home after succos on the plane.

I don't think it was making fun of anything, it was a cute light comedy, even my kids enjoyed it.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 12:55 am
Cindy, where were u for Sukkos?
And did they show this movie on the plane as part of their entertainment or did you take it along with a dvd player?

Sue DaNym

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:53 am
TammyTammy wrote:
Didn't see the movie (yet), but I can't help but throw in this gratutitous Noach comedy reference. Never mind the video...just listen to the audio.

ugh.I just listened to that andi wish ididnt. how can you listen to that garbage?it mocks hashem and noach and the torah!I think you should take it down or the moderaters should erase it from this site.how long can you tread water??how sick.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:01 am
I liked it & even let my 7 year old watch it because he learned Parshas Noach in Chumash last year. I did warn him beforehand that not all the details were correct & he was able to point them out to me.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:45 am
Too bad History of the World with Ml Brooks is rated R, momof3; your kids might enjoy the inconsistencies in that movie, too.

cindy324

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 11:30 am
Quote:
Cindy, where were u for Sukkos?
And did they show this movie on the plane as part of their entertainment or did you take it along with a dvd player?

I was in Cuernavaca, Mexico for first days and Mexico City for second days Very Happy

The movie was the featured entertainment on the plane. It was funny because at first I didn't realize my earphones were set to the wrong channel, and I thought, hey, it's not right, why is it in spanish (maybe because it was a Mexican airline, lol) but then I realized the next channel up was in English.

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 11:35 am
Is there a Jewish population in Mexico? That's interesting.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 8:30 pm
No! They only live in Brooklyn! Compress

(sorry, I know it's mean but I couldn't resist)

cindy324

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 5:01 pm
Quote:
Is there a Jewish population in Mexico? That's interesting.

Sorry, I only saw this now.

Yes , there's a very nice sized jewish community. I would say it's mostly Sfardim, then Ashkenazim, and there's a tiny Lubavitch community , too. In fact , the neighborhood I stayed in Mexico City was a bit like Flatbush in NY. You walked out on the street and saw plenty of frum people walking around, in the supermarkets, malls etc.

They are very frum Sfardim, some women do not even wear a sheitel, only pretty tichels that cover all the hair. The ashkenazim are mostly Litvish, that's the shul we went to. There are two separate Hechsheirim, yep, you guessed it, Ashkenazi and Sfardi Very Happy both very reliable.

Most live in Mexico city, but have "vacation homes" in Cuernavaca, which is the equivalent of the country. It's about an hour's drive and is considerably warmer all the time. It's where they spend most yom tovim, and sometimes shabbos.

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 5:04 pm
Thanks for clarifying, and for not making fun of me, like that cowardly amother above me did.

cindy324

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 5:11 pm
Hey, it's a valid question...
Ya think I had any idea until I checked it out myself? Wink

mali

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 5:14 pm
Sue DaNym wrote:
TammyTammy wrote:

ugh.I just listened to that andi wish ididnt. how can you listen to that garbage?it mocks hashem and noach and the torah!I think you should take it down or the moderaters should erase it from this site.how long can you tread water??how sick.
LOL LOL

but maybe she has a real emotional problem Confused?

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 5:53 pm
I thought the movie was stupid and I would not encourage anyone to see it. ot just bc of the stupid message but bc it's just a dumb movie.

ny21

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 4:46 pm
I wasted my time and money watching this movie and I agree
with the poster above me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics