Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Things you learned that should have been so obvious
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:16 pm
I don't think these are life hacks... if you think so, let me know & I will move to that thread, but they are things I learned late in life & was so amazed ...

When you're opening a little paper packet of sugar, coffee etc, shake it first so all the material is in the bottom before you rip off the top.

The first time I saw that I was quite amazed. Not that I used those things much, which I guess is maybe why I never realized...

(Like if you 'always' knew this, hug if it's news to you, or was at some point!)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:17 pm
To flip the sunny side eggs directly onto the toast so the toast absorbs most of the yolk.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:18 pm
I guess it was just automatic for me to try to get all the sugar out of the packet.

What wasn't automatic for me was knowing how often to replace nipples on baby bottles many years ago as a brand new mom.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:21 pm
To put the knaidel mixture in the fridge to solidify instead of keeping adding more breadcrumbs.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:31 pm
The bumps on a bobby pin go on the bottom!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:35 pm
You step into a skirt. You don't wear it from the top. I dont want to see

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:

What wasn't automatic for me was knowing how often to replace nipples on baby bottles many years ago as a brand new mom.
how often?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:46 pm
That a baby wakes up throughout the night.
I thought they sleep like regular people.
I had honestly never thought about it as an only child living at home.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 9:53 pm
Knowing how to cut a cucumber--that you first cut it lengthwise and then chop along the width.

I don't remember how I used to do it but the first time I saw someone cut it that way it was such a revelation.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:04 pm
That if you want to defrost chicken/meat take it out the day before from the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost.
I used to submerge my frozen chicken/meat in its packaging in a big bowl of water a few hours before dinner time and then fought with my chicken because it never defrosted quick enough for me to cook it.
I cant remember when I learned to be proactive about it and remove it from the freezer the day or two before.

one

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:16 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
That if you want to defrost chicken/meat take it out the day before from the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost.
I used to submerge my frozen chicken/meat in its packaging in a big bowl of water a few hours before dinner time and then fought with my chicken because it never defrosted quick enough for me to cook it.
I cant remember when I learned to be proactive about it and remove it from the freezer the day or two before.

Dunno why my chicken never defrosts in the fridge!! It stays completely frozen. I need to take it out in the morning g and leave it on the counter

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:25 pm
That you have to empty the lint from the dryer... Cldn't figure out what was wrong with my machine!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:30 pm
one wrote:
Dunno why my chicken never defrosts in the fridge!! It stays completely frozen. I need to take it out in the morning g and leave it on the counter

So I do that sometimes or I take it out two days in advance and by the second day its defrosted in the fridge

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:30 pm
I felt so slow for taking several decades to figure this out, but it saves a lot of time and mental energy if you put in a new garbage bag before taking the old one outside.

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
You step into a skirt. You don't wear it from the top. I dont want to see

I quite like being able to put on my skirt and tuck my shirt in with one move. Is there a rule you have to step into a skirt?

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:35 pm
If you tilt your cup while pouring into it the liquid will actually go in instead of dripping down the side.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I guess it was just automatic for me to try to get all the sugar out of the packet.

How often?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:49 pm
MiriFr wrote:
The bumps on a bobby pin go on the bottom!

I didn’t know this

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:54 pm
Soak more -> scrub less

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:56 pm
That you need to call someone to clean your dryer vent once every two years. I had someone come fix my dryer a few years ago and he informed me about it.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics