Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Relocating and convenience

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:29 pm
When you look into moving to a new area, do you take convenience into consideration? Do you look into neighborhoods that have stores, shopping, eateries, etc... within walking distance? Or do you not mind driving 15-20 minutes to get anywhere?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:34 pm
I have never lived close enough to walk to a store in my entire life. It never came into the decision about where to live. We always either had a car or a bus ride away from the stores etc. was how we did it.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:38 pm
Y.
E.
S.

I live out of town now (temporarily). My husband and I are both from Brooklyn. Its torture!!!! There are ZERO kosher grocery stores, ZERO pizza stores, ZERO takeout places, ZERO restaurants. Theres a JCC that's open from like 11 to 3. Thankyouverymuch I work full time and I'm pregnant and can barely cook. I'm supposed shlep out now after work 25 min to the closest place that sells kosher chicken/meat, and they run out half the time, especially before y"t.
Looking forward to the day when I can just pick up dinner. Doesnt have to be fancy. A simple premade wrap will do.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:49 pm
Yes it's a major consideration for me. Coming from NYC, it was a huge adjustment getting used to the suburbs and having to drive everywhere. And even with specifically choosing the most convenient spot, it's still not enough for a city person like me. But it's better than everything being out of the way, so I manage. But I'd move back to the city in a heartbeat if I could.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 4:13 pm
This is such a life style choice - some people are city mice and some people are country mice.

I have always been a city mouse and have lived where I could theoretically walk places. I say theoretically because even though I now live in a densely populated section of Los Angeles, it's more convenient for me to drive to run errands and certainly the most interesting shopping needs to be reached by cars.

I grew up in Brooklyn (Midwood) and it was walkable to Avenue J but we owned a car - I guess I walked as a kid - later I took public transportation a lot and my parents used the cars for shopping and to commute to their jobs which were in Brooklyn. My Bubbe used a Bubbe cart to shop on Avenue J though :-).

I did live in Manhattan for awhile and there I walked a lot in my neighborhood - but needed public transportation to get to my job and to many of the interesting places in Manhattan or to visit my parents.

But I guess in terms of what many people's life style choices are, I have never wanted to live in the suburbs or the country. I don't crave gardening or want a large yard or mind having neighbors near me (luckily I have been spared horrible neighbors for the most part). I am willing to put up with smaller living spaces - traffic congestion for the benefits of city living. Crickets make me nervous. Very Happy

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:00 pm
I grew up with a drug store and a strip of other stores down the block. It was a big milestone being able to walk to the store myself and make a purchase. When I moved into my house there was a drug store a block away but it has since moved further away, so there is no place within easy walking distance. The supermarket is about a half mile away, technically walkable. I let my older kids ride their bikes there.

The supermarket is 24 hours and it has a kosher section but no cholov yisroel milk. Most staples I can run out and get any time. In a way it's easier living in a place with 24 hour stores than in Brooklyn where stores open later and close earlier (although the trend now is for stores to be open very late).

cozyblanket

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:00 am
No. I drive to the store regardless. I buy enough groceries that I couldn't carry them all home. Once I'm in the car, the distance to the store isn't a big deal. Having restraunts isn't a huge deal either- who can afford it?

I hear people complain about these a lot and I don't get it. When deciding where to live, we should take our life priorities into account a decide based on the community and chinuch. Stores are low on my list of priorities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating