Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
NYC II

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:41 am
We have to be in NYC for the next number of years and am struggling to find a community we like.

We are mostly MO(ish), but really want to live in a more diverse OOT-type community. We like being on the more left end of the places we live, so I did not like UWS, where the community felt very homogenous. I am open to almost anywhere that people are truly excited about their yiddishkeit (and that would be welcoming etc).

The kicker is that I also would like a tiny bit more space and/or park accessible. I lived in crown heights for a while and love it, but it's way too urban//not that near any kind of park (prospect Park is too long a walk from most areas for me).

Ideally, the place would be under an hour commute to the UWS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:46 am
Maybe Kew Gardens or Kew Gardens Hills? I was born in Queens but my family made Aliyah when I was small so I’m only suggesting based on what I remember from visits.

srbmom

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:51 am
I don't know if it's too far, but possibly West Hempstead

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:54 am
srbmom wrote:

Was thinking this too

doctorima

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 11:59 am
Highland Park/Edison could be a good fit for you. It's a very friendly and welcoming OOT-style community, but commutable to the city. There's definitely a sizable MO crowd (esp. in HP), but you have the full spectrum there, and it's reasonably suburban. Elizabeth and Staten Island are also options worth looking into.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:12 pm
I’m so surprised to hear that you found the UWS too homogenous. To me it’s the only place I’ll ever live where I’ll have a Shabbos meal where some people davened at a shtiebel, some at a conservative shul, and everything in between. There’s Young and old, RW yeshivish and LW MO, there’s rich and not, etc etc.

nylon

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:16 pm
I wouldn't rule out the Bergen County communities. I wouldn't call them OOT at all, but there's a range of MO, and it meets your commute criteria. Long Island will be a shlep to the UWS.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:19 pm
nylon wrote:
I wouldn't rule out the Bergen County communities. I wouldn't call them OOT at all, but there's a range of MO, and it meets your commute criteria. Long Island will be a shlep to the UWS.

Teaneck is a very easy commute to the UWS.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:56 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I’m so surprised to hear that you found the UWS too homogenous. To me it’s the only place I’ll ever live where I’ll have a Shabbos meal where some people davened at a shtiebel, some at a conservative shul, and everything in between. There’s Young and old, RW yeshivish and LW MO, there’s rich and not, etc etc.

Hmm-maybe I hung around the wrong places? Where on the UWS do you live.
I was around Lincoln Sq shul and found it very difficult

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:57 pm
srbmom wrote:

Can you tell me more about shuls etc in West Hempstead?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 12:58 pm
doctorima wrote:
Highland Park/Edison could be a good fit for you. It's a very friendly and welcoming OOT-style community, but commutable to the city. There's definitely a sizable MO crowd (esp. in HP), but you have the full spectrum there, and it's reasonably suburban. Elizabeth and Staten Island are also options worth looking into.

Actually I'm very interested in living in Staten Island, but when I looked into it, it seemed hard to find an area that would work--do you know about the neighborhoods?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The upper 90s is where it’s at!! But I’ve lived in the 80s too.

I also Grew up in Staten Island. Majority of he people moving in now are not MO, but rather chassidish. Home values/prices have shot right up

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am surprised. The UWS is very diverse. There are all different kinds of shuls and families there.

lcraighten

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 1:40 pm
Teaneck - never lived there but heard its a great community OOT and Warm, but with all the amenities of in-town

Kew Gardens - it's a small community and not super diverse, but very warm and welcoming

Kew Gardens Hills - not so close to the city, but more diverse and larger

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 12 2019, 2:07 pm
lincoln square might have some anomalies but yes it's a MO shul, totally understand why you would find it homogeneous. I grew up in the low 70's. It was mostly MO, we were an anomaly. Go a little higher up and it definitely is not homogeneous. I would suggest giving it another shot higher up, possibly davening at the shteibels.

You have riverside park on one side and central park on the other for your park fix Wink

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually I'm very interested in living in Staten Island, but when I looked into it, it seemed hard to find an area that would work--do you know about the neighborhoods?

Willowbrook is the largest frum community in Staten Island. Lately many chassidim have been moving there, but there's definitely a lot of diversity there, and it's a warm and welcoming OOT-style community, with express buses running to the city, as well as the ferry to lower Manhattan.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:34 am
Staten Island is not that MO these days at all and is not an easy commute to the UWS.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:53 am
Washington Heights? Or Riverdale, but that might be too far?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think you would like the area that is further North near Young Israel or Boyaner Shteibl. When we lived in the city we loved the diversity. Near Lincoln Square is huge and diverse and very modern. Further north near Yeshiva Ketana you experience more mixing of different types. We loved it!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 12:18 am
Riverdale?
Where did you end up moving?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating