Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Grand Canyon Advice

UQT

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:31 am
Thinking of going end of August. Has anyone ever gone then and can advise me on how hot it is. I can't function too well if it gets too hot and humid. I just want to make sure it's manageable.

I'm going with kids ages 3-18. I know the older kids will love it but would it just be frustrating for a three year old? Sounds like a lot of driving and not much entertainment for a little one. Did you find that?

TIA

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:43 am
It will be hotter than hell. Stay far away

DrMom

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 8:44 am
UQT wrote:
Thinking of going end of August. Has anyone ever gone then and can advise me on how hot it is. I can't function too well if it gets too hot and humid. I just want to make sure it's manageable.

I'm going with kids ages 3-18. I know the older kids will love it but would it just be frustrating for a three year old? Sounds like a lot of driving and not much entertainment for a little one. Did you find that?

TIA

It's Arizona, so I doubt it will be humid.

If you go to GOOGLE and type in "Grand Canyon temperature in August," you will see that August temperatures go up to about 100-105F mid-day, but dip to the mid-70s at night, so it's best to start off your hike in the early morning.

greenteaorange

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 9:13 am
I never went in August but there are signs all over Grand Canyon regarding heat exhaustion during the summer months. I would personally not go during the summer months but perhaps google and read some posts on websites like TripAdvisor regarding grand canyon in August.
I went to Grand Canyon in November and the weather was beautiful- not too hot, breezy.
We also did Sedona which is gorgeous! If you can I would recommend stopping in Sedona as well. My friends that live in Arizona say they spend the summer in the pool or indoors due to the heat.
Good luck!
Also I don’t know how big your three year old is but perhaps you can “wear” your three year old, we put my 2 year old in a hiking infant carrier and it was very helpful!

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:11 am
My husband and I spent 5 days in Arizona in April. The weather at the grand canyon was gorgeous; people we met said the summer heat is brutal though. The weather in Phoenix was in the high 90s. No humidity though.

Weather notwithstanding, I think my kids would have loved the trip. My youngest just turned 4. Does your three year old hike well? Mine has boundless energy and can walk all day. He's a much better hiker than me😉

We did a great pink jeep tour in Sedona that was lots of fun and spent a half day at Navajo nation, which we found fascinating but might be boring for little kids. We also hiked walnut canyon, and took a ranger class there. We saw lots of families doing the hike (slowly!) with kids.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:28 am
I was there with my husband in August a few yrs ago and we loved it. I don't remember the heat being any worse than in NY area. At the top/rim it certainly isn't, though it gets pretty hot when you hike into the canyon. I highly recommend hiking into the canyon since it offers a different perspective, but just don't go too far down because remember you'll need to hike back up... and it is hotter in there.
Also know that there will be traffic getting into the park. Start the day early or use one of the shuttles, which make stops everywhere.
I don't know your itinerary but the Grand Canyon itself doesn't need too many days. The view is wow and doing a hike inside is really incredible... but that's it. It's great to combine it with other spots, like Page or Sedona, where you can get different views and landscapes. I'd recommend reading some trip reports on dansdeals for ideas.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:43 am
The heat in Arizona this year has been record-breaking.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 10:57 am
We went in August many years ago and didn't find the heat unbearable. Arizona is much less humid than NY. At the top you're at elevation, so it's certainly manageable. We hiked down about 1.5 miles (45ish minutes), then back up, with a little one in a child carrier on DH's back.

If you'll have the option to go in the spring or fall in the near future, I could understand waiting, but if the summer is all you've got, it's worth it to just go and make it work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics