Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is a 5 day a week boy's high school acceptable??
Previous  1  2

louche

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 11:11 pm
tzatza wrote:
Firstly, Avigayils, I just loved your initial post! Agree with every word.
Second (not to offend anyone's religious feelings) I just hate the fact that DS yeshiva has a 6 day schedule (He is only 6 years old, and now we cannot visit granparents who live in the Philadelphia). Another thing that I cannot comprehend as a working mother, is why a school has to be closed two days before YT begins? what choice do working parents have? what about parents who have no relatives who can watch the kids?

The short answer is: tough noogies. we, the yeshiva, don't give two hoots about you, the working mom, because obviously you are not living the torahdik way, which is that you should be home 24/7 taking care of kuche and kinder so that all your menfolks can be free to pursue the perusal of the holy books. never mind that if you weren't working for a living your family might starve--thinking that way just shows your lack of bitachon. so you actually deserve the hardship created by the children's being off from school 2 days before yomtov.

I fully agree with the resentment of the sunday classes. but I guess we deserve that, too, because why are we not living next door to the children's grandparents, right? then we wouldn't have any issues about not being able to visit Bubbie and Zydie because the boys have school.

(Now that's me being sarcastic.)

BTW, a recent study showed that young men in yeshiva have bone density 50% less than boys the same age in the general population. 50% less---and we're not talking elderly men, we're talking bochrim ages 15-21. this leads to broken bones and other musculoskeletal problems later in life. why? the biggest cause is lack of exercise! evidently the yeshiva world considers exercise to be bitul torah, too, to heck with what rambam says. But don't get me started.

leomom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 11:44 pm
louche wrote:
BTW, a recent study showed that young men in yeshiva have bone density 50% less than boys the same age in the general population.

Do you have a link to an article about this study? I would be very interested in reading it.

tzatza

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 9:21 am
louche wrote:
tzatza wrote:
Firstly, Avigayils, I just loved your initial post! Agree with every word.
Second (not to offend anyone's religious feelings) I just hate the fact that DS yeshiva has a 6 day schedule (He is only 6 years old, and now we cannot visit granparents who live in the Philadelphia). Another thing that I cannot comprehend as a working mother, is why a school has to be closed two days before YT begins? what choice do working parents have? what about parents who have no relatives who can watch the kids?

The short answer is: tough noogies. we, the yeshiva, don't give two hoots about you, the working mom, because obviously you are not living the torahdik way, which is that you should be home 24/7 taking care of kuche and kinder so that all your menfolks can be free to pursue the perusal of the holy books. never mind that if you weren't working for a living your family might starve--thinking that way just shows your lack of bitachon. so you actually deserve the hardship created by the children's being off from school 2 days before yomtov.

I fully agree with the resentment of the sunday classes. but I guess we deserve that, too, because why are we not living next door to the children's grandparents, right? then we wouldn't have any issues about not being able to visit Bubbie and Zydie because the boys have school.

(Now that's me being sarcastic.)

BTW, a recent study showed that young men in yeshiva have bone density 50% less than boys the same age in the general population. 50% less---and we're not talking elderly men, we're talking bochrim ages 15-21. this leads to broken bones and other musculoskeletal problems later in life. why? the biggest cause is lack of exercise! evidently the yeshiva world considers exercise to be bitul torah, too, to heck with what rambam says. But don't get me started.

Bravo! Rolling Laughter

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 2:53 pm
faigie wrote:
MTA has an alternative schedule, because some of the boys live far away, and with short days on friday, they wont be able to make it home for shabbos.
no great mystery to it, thats the reason.

you beat me to it. I was going to mention MTA as well. the traveling thing is a big thing. it is very important for the biys to be home wih family for shabbat, at least I think so. so the school wants to make sure that hey can accomplish that.

also, as far as having friday off, for the boys who live close to the school, they can, GASP, help their mothers at home with preperations for shabbat. I think that kibud horim is VERY high on the list and to have boys who grow up seeing that to help in the home is an important midda, is very important.

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:58 pm
I think that it is really not the OP's business to make her cousin "see the light".

I wish my boys had sunday off, they spend too much time in school as it is. I was livid when the school added an extra hour to the sunday program this year. (even more upset when they told us that they would be serving liunch on sunday, which means 1/2 hour for lunch, 10-15 minutes of benching and recess, and only 15 more actual "learning minutes"---imo, let the kids have off!)

tzatza

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 2:43 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I think that it is really not the OP's business to make her cousin "see the light".

I wish my boys had sunday off, they spend too much time in school as it is. I was livid when the school added an extra hour to the sunday program this year. (even more upset when they told us that they would be serving liunch on sunday, which means 1/2 hour for lunch, 10-15 minutes of benching and recess, and only 15 more actual "learning minutes"---imo, let the kids have off!)

It breaks my heart to see how upset my in-laws are that we cannot come and visit them anymore now for Shabbath/Sunday (except for big occasions). THey are wonderful people, but will not be around forever, and my children can learn so much from them and benefit from their love. Even when they come once in a while (do NOT suggest that THEY should be visiting more often (my MIL cannot drive on highways)), half a Sunday is gone because DS is in school:( And he is just 6 years old!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 2:50 pm
for those of you who are upset about school on sundays, this is a question of curiousity, why dont you send your sons to other schools that dont have a 6 day week of learning?

tzatza

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 2:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
for those of you who are upset about school on sundays, this is a question of curiousity, why dont you send your sons to other schools that dont have a 6 day week of learning?

Ah, a wise question. I am thinking about it all the time. I am carefully observing my son now in 1st grade (we are having first meetings with Rebbi and English teacher coming up). If I see beyond a reasonable doubt, that this schedule is hurting my child, we will be looking seriously into other schools.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 3:14 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

First of all, the 'better' schools are all 6 days a week.

And second, you have but to read the original post... there's a stigma if you don't send your child to a 6 day a week school, there obviously must be something wrong with your son.

And for some people, they really have no alternatives.

twinkltoes

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 4:15 pm
Well, I say let's CHANGE the stigma - grassroots movement, I think it's called Very Happy - and make it the "better" thing to do, the posh thing, the cool thing to do by creating a demand for 5-day-only high schools for boys! As in "I will ONLY send my son to a 5-day-a-week high school and if you persist in holding school on Fridays, I will take him OUT of your high school and put him in PUBLIC SCHOOL and your school will lose MY financial support because I do not want a relationship with a bone density-less, burnt-out 18-year-old! Now what are you going to do about THAT, Mr. Yeshiva Principal Rabbi?????"

Whaddya think?

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:26 pm
I can't send my son to a school with a 5 day week, because there simply isn't one. OK, I exaggerate, there are two, and they are both co-ed. While my school is frummer then we are, I do not want my kids in a coed school.

louche

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 1:48 am
Because that's what we have in our area. I believe in kids going to school I their own neighborhood and not sitting on a bus for an hour. not that any other schools have transportatin to our area, anyway, 'cuz they don't, and we're not in a position to take them ourselves.

louche

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 2:04 am
Avigayils wrote:
Well, I say let's CHANGE the stigma - grassroots movement, I think it's called Very Happy - and make it the "better" thing to do, the posh thing, the cool thing to do by creating a demand for 5-day-only high schools for boys! As in "I will ONLY send my son to a 5-day-a-week high school and if you persist in holding school on Fridays, I will take him OUT of your high school and put him in PUBLIC SCHOOL and your school will lose MY financial support because I do not want a relationship with a bone density-less, burnt-out 18-year-old! Now what are you going to do about THAT, Mr. Yeshiva Principal Rabbi?????"

Whaddya think?

it won't work unless a majority of the parents express themselves the same way. folks like us are a tiny minority in our neck of the woods. mr. principal rabbi will say to himself that if I'm willing to put my son in a "modern" school then we're not the sort of torah-committed family they want in their school anyway. we know a few ppl who took their boys out of our school for similar reasons, besides the shoddy secular education, but the school has a new, more right-wing adminisration and doesn't mourn the loss of the more radical-modern families.

twinkltoes

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 2:05 am
Mommy3.5 -

That's what I'm saying. No Rosh Yeshiva high school is going to want a boy going to public (co-ed) highschool so........threaten to do that if they don't stop teaching on Fridays! If enough parents did the same, it just might work. They'd be left with no school to run AND have that on their consciences.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics