Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO fantasy book recs for tweens

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:25 pm
Can anyone recommend clean fantasy books for tweens or teens?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:30 pm
Susan Cooper--Dark is Rising series, The Boggart
Robin Mckinley--The Hero and the Crown, Beauty
Cynthia Voight--Jackaroo
Gail Carson Levine--Ella Enchanted
Just about anything by Diana Wynne Jones

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:46 pm
False Prince series Jennifer Neilson

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:50 pm
Patricia c wrede - dealing with dragons. and the other books in that series
Brian Jacques - redwall books
Tamora Pierce - Alanna, the first adventure. Wild Magic.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:54 pm
Only because you didn't specify for a boy or girl reader--isn't there a pretty graphic description in the Alanna books about her getting her period for the first time while disguising herself as a man, binding her breasts, etc? And sneaking into the same room as a naked man? I read these as a kid, and I guess I found it a bit shocking as an 8 year old, lol.
Depends on your sensitvities, op.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 9:59 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Only because you didn't specify for a boy or girl reader--isn't there a pretty graphic description in the Alanna books about her getting her period for the first time while disguising herself as a man, binding her breasts, etc? And sneaking into the same room as a naked man? I read these as a kid, and I guess I found it a bit shocking as an 8 year old, lol.
Depends on your sensitvities, op.

True. I loved these books as a kid and didn't remember anything inappropriate. There is mentions of periods and body changing. Nothing s-xual, but probably not appropriate for a boy.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 11:54 pm
Septimus heap by angie sage

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:33 am
I am a huge fantasy fan and have several suggestions, although some might only be for teens rather than tweens...

I loved everything by Tamora Pierce but I will say the final books in the various quartets usually had clean romance which included them sharing beds (ie zex) without any details-the circle and the circle opens quartets were I think without any romance really

Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo (I think that was her name)-def for tweens and really clean (both my brother and me loved the series)

Garth Nix-slightly odd but I think was competely clean

I liked the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini (dragon rider having to save world from evil dictator). Completely clean

There's always the classic Lord of the Rings-that's definitely as clean as they come

I started the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan and was enjoying it but I've never got round to carrying it on-think it was clean

Mercedes Lackey-I would stick to her Valdemar series but will say avoid the Last Mage trilogy if you're bothered by the fact the protagonist is gay (she does have characters in the the stories that are gay but it's quite matter of fact without details etc)

Jessica Day George-she does adaptations of fairy tales but they're completely clean

Maria V Snyder-elements of romance but are pretty clean

I adored Cassandra Clare's various series, but they're not that clean so I can't really recommend them

I loved Althea Kontis's Hero etc but not sure if that's for a bit older

Also love anything by Juliet Marillier-they do have romance but it's fairly clean, but again most of her series are probably for slightly older

Cinda Williams Chima's books are also really good-they're pretty clean with slight romance, references etc

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 5:38 am
Court Duel/Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 8:47 am
Thanks everyone! It's for a boy, so I'll pre-screen

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 11:23 am
Robert Jordan - definitely more teen than tween. I enjoyed reading them but couldn't keep up. Every time he came out with a new book, I had to reread the series because I couldn't remember the details. I do remember it being a bit violent.

Mercedes lackey - I also enjoyed. Also more teen than tween. Some of the books have definite gay overtones.

Anne McCaffrey - dragonsinger, dragonsong, dragondrums. (Although you can debate that they're technically sci-fi)

Mrs. Frisby and the rats of nimh

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:26 pm
If it's a boy, most of the suggestions here, especially the fairy tale retellings, are geared for girls. Mrs. Frisby is s good one.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 1:54 pm
What about the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. I only read the first book so I can't vouch for the whole series, but it was super clean.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:21 pm
Pearl, thanks that's a good suggestion but he read Mrs. Frisby.

Amethyst, he LOVES Brandon Mull, that was actually how the conversation started. He read the whole series multiple times and wanted other books that are similar.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 2:38 pm
Will try and think of what sat on my brother's bookshelf, rather than mine...

Eragon series, Robert Jordan, Charlie Bone series, Garth Nix days of the week series, septimus heap series...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (don't remember the author) but think they were completely clean and aimed for more tween than teen

there's always Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

Harry Potter

Brian Jacques's Redwall series-animals battling each other with epic good versus evil

Skulduggery Pleasant-think the later books got less suitable though

Swallows and Amazons (can't remember the author), very clean-children over summer holidays and their adventures (1930s)

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:11 pm
By Margaret mahy-
The pirates mixed up voyage
The greatest show off Earth

Not fantasy, but a fun book: the westing game

As a teen, my brother was more into sci-fi than fantasy. They often overlap anyways.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2019, 7:37 pm
The chrestomanci books by Diana Wynne Jones. I can't believe I forgot them! Charmed life was one of my favorite books.

Op, I'm reliving my childhood here. Lol

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 3:19 pm
Thanks again everyone, you've given so many great suggestions! We started with Septimus Heap. He INHALED the first 2 books over Shabbos!! Can't wait to try some others!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room