Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
BDE Body Of Rabbi Reuven Bauman Z”L Has Been Found
1  2  3  Next

keym

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:24 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Bde. Such a brave hero.
Hopefully, now the family can start to heal.
Only besuros tovos.

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:26 pm
Bde
So sad

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:31 pm
Thank god they found him. I can’t imagine what would be if they did not. May his memory be a blessing. Teach your children to swim in pools and oceans.

Optione

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:34 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Thank god they found him. I can’t imagine what would be if they did not. May his memory be a blessing. Teach your children to swim in pools and oceans.

Swimming in a sudden riptide is not in a normal swim skill set.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:35 pm
Bh they found the body. I kept thinking about his poor wife. I agree with Andrea, teach your kids to swim in a rip tide & basic water safety. And teach your kids never to go to deserted beaches or lakes.
And to follow flag signs at beaches.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:38 pm
Optione wrote:
Swimming in a sudden riptide is not in a normal swim skill set.

So then dont teach your children. Good swimming lessons and water safety save lives. Let’s not have another story like this.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:39 pm
Oy BDE. May his family find comfort and peace in the wake of this tragedy.

justmarried:)

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:40 pm
Everyone saying “teach your children....”
Is just saying so because when a tragedy happens they say it wouldn’t happen to me because I am smarter,safer... whatever the reason may be but they are trying to justify it. This tragedy happened because Hashem wanted it to. That’s all. It can happen fo anyone at any time.

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:41 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Bh they found the body. I kept thinking about his poor wife. I agree with Andrea, teach your kids to swim in a rip tide & basic water safety. And teach your kids never to go to deserted beaches or lakes.

Teach your kids NOT to swim in riptides. Teach your kids not to swim on closed beaches with red flags. 28 people drowned in riptides so far this year. Even strong swimmers have trouble in riptides.

octopus

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:41 pm
This was such a sad story. My heart is breaking. May Hashem comfort the family. So tragic... no words...

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:42 pm
andrea levy wrote:
So then dont teach your children. Good swimming lessons and water safety save lives. Let’s not have another story like this.

Good swimming lessons can't always save you in riptide conditions. Stay out of the water.

Last edited by 33055 on Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:45 pm
I’ll just add that if you are a strong swimmer and don’t know what to do, it’s just as bad. I was a lifeguard and intructor of all levels for 15 years.

When I was in the Mediterranean in 2012, the waves were so strong ( not even ripbtides, just strong waves) and I was in trouble. Strong swimmer myself and lifeguard on duty included.

But I knew what to do. I floated until I could stand up. I swam towards shore on an angle. I got back safe and sound. And I KNOW what trouble looks like. I knew by the time I was twelve what trouble looked like. And I live nowhere near an ocean. But we were taught. And I’m a STRONG swimmer. Thank god I got back. It never happened to me until I was 45 years old, but it happened and thank god I remembered what to do. So get your children taught. Learn yourself. And make sure this never happens again.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:46 pm
Squishy wrote:
Teach your kids NOT to swim in riptides. Teach your kids not to swim on closed beaches with red flags. 28 people drowned in riptides so far this year. Even strong swimmers have trouble in riptides.

Amen.

PurpleandGold

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:53 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

I know you mean well, but teach your children to swim in sudden riptides? I really think that with all the riptide information in the world, most people would not function well when overpowering waves drag them down. Really inappropriate comments already on here! PLEASE do not bring water safety into this thread!

Please just honor this hero's memory - he was a pure tzadik, an Adam shaleim that devoted his life to teaching and guiding Jewish children, and was taken while trying to rescue a Jewish child. He is a karbon for our people - this summer we have had an olah temimah taken by aish (Mr. Todd Miller, askan of Milwaukee) and another by mayim (Rabbi Bauman). These tragedies did not happen because people were thoughtless and careless - they happened because klal Yisrael needs kapparos and zechuyos tremendously right now. Let's celebrate the pure lives and missions of these great men and daven that we need no more karbannos this summer!

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:55 pm
Of course I feel terrible for the family and community but also for the kid he saved. He will have a heavy guilt for a long time. Sad

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:57 pm
PurpleandGold wrote:
I know you mean well, but teach your children to swim in sudden riptides? I really think that with all the riptide information in the world, most people would not function well when overpowering waves drag them down. Really inappropriate comments already on here! PLEASE do not bring water safety into this thread!

Please just honor this hero's memory - he was a pure tzadik, an Adam shaleim that devoted his life to teaching and guiding Jewish children, and was taken while trying to rescue a Jewish child. He is a karbon for our people - this summer we have had an olah temimah taken by aish (Mr. Todd Miller, askan of Milwaukee) and another by mayim (Rabbi Bauman). These tragedies did not happen because people were thoughtless and careless - they happened because klal Yisrael needs kapparos and zechuyos tremendously right now. Let's celebrate the pure lives and missions of these great men and daven that we need no more karbannos this summer!

If we do learn from this, his death will not be in vain. It’s not at all inappropriate to try to learn from this tragedy. Otherwise it’s just a horrible accident with more coming. And a kid or adult who knows basic water safety would know not to swim where there are red flags and no lifeguard.

Optione

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:58 pm
andrea levy wrote:

Amen!
To clarify- my kids all had swimming lessons simply for safety. I just don't want anyone to think that had Rabbi Bauman z"l been more prepared, the ending could've been different.

smile18

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 1:58 pm
Bde. Sad story but bh that his body was recovered

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:04 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I’ll just add that if you are a strong swimmer and don’t know what to do, it’s just as bad. I was a lifeguard and intructor of all levels for 15 years. When I was in the Mediterranean in 2012, the waves were so strong I was in trouble. Strong swimmer/lifeguard included. But I knew what to do. I floated until I could stand up. I swam towards shore on an angle. I got back safe and sound. And I KNOW what trouble looks like. I knew by the time I was twelve what trouble looked like. And I live nowhere near an ocean. But we were taught. And I’m a STRONG swimmer. Thank god I got back. It never happened to me until I was 45 years old, but it happened and thank god I remembered what to do. So get your children taught. Learn yourself. And make sure this never happens again.

Andrea, I agree. No one wants to cast blame, but I often hear about camp activities that seem to me just not that well thought out. (This applies to religious and non-religious camps, and non-Jewish camps as well. I'm not singling out any group.) It would be good for all camps to have a safety consultant that they can turn to when planning trips and activities. This seemed to be a difficult situation all around. The water was not safe, and there was no lifeguard: this was not a place for a camp outing. But obviously, the camp directors and counselors didn't realize. Perhaps something like a safety consultant could help.

Regarding lifeguard training: My childhood memory is that frum camps, at least for the girls, placed a lot of emphasis on learning to swim and passing advanced lifesaving certification. But perhaps that has changed, or it isn't that way for at frum boys' camps.

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 2:07 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Andrea, I agree. No one wants to cast blame, but I often hear about camp activities that seem to me just not that well thought out. (This applies to religious and non-religious camps, and non-Jewish camps as well. I'm not singling out any group.) It would be good for all camps to have a safety consultant that they can turn to when planning trips and activities. This seemed to be a difficult and situation. The water was not safe, and there was no lifeguard: this was not a place for a camp outing. But obviously, the camp directors and counselors didn't realize. Perhaps something like a safety consultant could help.

Regarding lifeguard training: My childhood memory is that frum camps, at least for the girls, placed a lot of emphasis on learning to swim and passing advanced lifesaving certification. But perhaps that has changed, or it isn't that way for at frum boys' camps.

I worked at a non religious camp that easy underhired guards. It’s ridiculous and preventable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics