Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Second name with Moshe
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:33 am
We have 3 people we are considering naming after but I can't find a combination that I like with any of them, looking for ideas that go with :
Moshe or
Avraham or
Eliyahu
(Part of the problem is I have negative associations with both a Moshe and Avraham (abuse ) but those are the grandfather's on either side so I would choose a 2nd name that would be the primary name .

salt

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:38 am
It doesn't have to be a name that 'goes' with Moshe, if you're only going to be using the second name, on a regular basis.
Just choose a name you like.

eg. if you like the name Arye. Call him Moshe Arye.

No such thing, in my opinion, of 2 names going or not going together. Well, unless they sound super silly together, like Rina-Marina or something.

Otherwise, go for whatever you want.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:41 am
Moshe Chaim
Moshe Dovid
Yisrael Moshe

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:58 am
Moshe Yehuda
Moshe Aharon

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:59 am
Moshe Burech
Moshe Shmiel
Moshe Lazer
Moshe Menachem
Moshe Shimon
Moshe Chaim
Moshe Yechiel
Moshe Meir
Moshe Mendel

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:01 am
Avrum Chaim
Avrum Yosef
Avrum Yakov
Avrum Shlomo
Avrum pinches

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:06 am
Moshe Tzvi

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:07 am
Some of these are very nice combos, but OP, would you consider talking to someone who specializes in abuse and trauma before naming your child something that reminds you of an abuser? The subconscious mind can do funny things with trauma and it would be awful if it affected your relationship with your child.

gingertop

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:17 am
Agree with WhatFor. While getting help, if you must give the name to avoid family histrionics, consider that the name is after the original Moshe or Avraham and ignore the family connection in your own mind.

Name can be left as is and tell your child he was named after Moshe Rabbeinu/ Avraham Avinu. If adding, consider adding a name that is connected to the original such as Moshe Tuvia -Tuvia being one of the names of Moshe Rabbeinu.

Or consider giving an entirely different name of someone who inspires you and would be a better namesake than the ones you have now to sort of balance things out.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:20 am
Avrum tzvi
Avrum Hersh

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 6:01 am
WhatFor wrote:
Some of these are very nice combos, but OP, would you consider talking to someone who specializes in abuse and trauma before naming your child something that reminds you of an abuser? The subconscious mind can do funny things with trauma and it would be awful if it affected your relationship with your child.

I am going to therapy . If we don't give one of these names we will probably have grief for years later. The people who abused me were my brothers named after these same grandparents who I never knew . So far none of my siblings have given either name and my parents are devastated and their are arguments by each pregnancy which I don't have koach to deal with. I am hoping by using a second name as the primary name we can just get the issue over and done with and I won't ever call my baby by that name . It's my first time expecting a boy so we didn't have this pressure last time .

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 6:45 am
I never understand these threads. Any name goes with any name. It basically becomes a thread with lists of every single name in the baby book +whatever name op posted

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:01 am
I have Moshe Hersh BH bh

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:59 am
Hug So sorry that you were abused at all and that your family is stressing you about names which should be completely your decision along with DH.

I don't understand why your parents are pressuring you. If your brothers were named for these grandparents then they've already been named for. Why do you have to name for them as well? Can you find other people further up in your family tree who haven't been named for and use those names? Can you confide in a Rav who will hopefully tell you not to use your brother's names? Will your parents back off if you have an official psak? Can you find it within yourself with support from DH and your therapist to stand strong in the face of pressure and choose your own names and ignore your parent's reaction?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:02 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Hug So sorry that you were abused at all and that your family is stressing you about names which should be completely your decision along with DH.

I don't understand why your parents are pressuring you. If your brothers were named for these grandparents then they've already been named for. Why do you have to name for them as well? Can you find other people further up in your family tree who haven't been named for and use those names? Can you confide in a Rav who will hopefully tell you not to use your brother's names? Will your parents back off if you have an official psak? Can you find it within yourself with support from DH and your therapist to stand strong in the face of pressure and choose your own names and ignore your parent's reaction?

Both of my brothers who had these names are not such upstanding people , both have done jail time , besides for s-xual crimes. My parents feel like they want a "good" name sake for their parents which I half understand but it's a hard decision.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:57 am
Do your parents know about your negative experiences with your bothers? If so, do they understand that it would be painful for you to use those names?

Either way, maybe stick with Eliyahu?

Would you want to call your son by Eliyahu or a version of it or would you want to add a second name and call him that? What names do you like in general?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 12:42 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Do your parents know about your negative experiences with your bothers? If so, do they understand that it would be painful for you to use those names?

Either way, maybe stick with Eliyahu?

Would you want to call your son by Eliyahu or a version of it or would you want to add a second name and call him that? What names do you like in general?

Yes , they know, it's a side topic all around . Eliyahu was my great grandfather . Happens to be the only one of these 3 names that I knew and was close with . Moshe and Avraham were each of my parents father's but died before I got to know them at a young age .

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 12:45 pm
If I chose with no pressure I would go with Chaim Eliyahu. If I go with Moshe I was thinking Rafael Moshe and I would call Rafi. Avraham I haven't thought of a name yet .

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 2:13 pm
Moshe Dayan Cool

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 4:00 pm
Chaim Eliyahu has such a beautiful ring to it!

Would your parents understand if you told them straight out why you named what you did? Would that be too painful?

To me these names all go together.
Avraham Eliyahu
Moshe Eliyahu
(Avraham Moshe)

Another thought... Another poster mentioned Tuvia as another name for Moshe Rabeinu - could you do Eliyahu Tuvia?

Also, can you make an association with the name, a tefilah for yourself and your child? ( Examples of what I mean below). You can also read up on tzadikim who have these names and try to build up a positive association. Tell your child stories of these tzadikim and of your grandfather and instill a pride in being names after such great people.

Some names that can go with Avraham.
Avraham Chaim ( This avraham should breath new life into the legacy of your grandfather, and grow up to make him very proud)
Avraham shmuel ( Hashem should hear my pain and guide me to healing, Hashem should hear my prayers for my son to grow up to be a yarei shamayim, with stellar midos who will bring lots of nachas to his parents grandparents, his namesake - my grandfather Avraham, and Hashem.
Avraham Tuvia - hashem should shower my son with goodness, and bless him with the kochos he needs to accomplish his mission in life and live as an erliche yid who brings nachas to the Eibeshter, and pride to my grandfather..

I normally roll my eyes at responses here assuring ops that they shouldn't give a name unless they LOVE it.. too bad on everyone else involved... I think this is different. It sounds like it is painful for you. If you don't want to give these names, I don't think you should force yourself...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names