Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles like rash
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:03 am
Baby has a measles like rash. No fever.
My mum claims its sweat pimples or whatever theyy called and dont have to go to dr.
He is feeling perfectly fine.
What could it be.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:05 am
Take him to the doctor, only way to find out

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:17 am
Call your doctor and describe the rash or even send a picture. Don't just show up without warning and potentially expose everyone else.

A few months ago my 1 year old had fever for a couple of days and then broke out in a rash. I was 99% sure it was roseola, but I was nervous that it could be measles since we live in the NY area. I called the doctor and they had me come in but they told me to call again when I was outside and a nurse came and brought us straight to an exam room so we wouldn't be hanging out in the waiting area. They didn't even have me sign in and they're usually strict about their protocols.

Oh, another thought - could it be an allergic reaction?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:26 am
Some of my grandchildren currently have hand-foot-mouth virus (also called fifth disease) and apparently it is going around Rockland. It isn't a good idea to expose pregnant women, according to the person that I spoke to at the Rockland county DOH but it is otherwise mainly a nuisance bug, at least here in the US. It takes around 10 days to entirely go away but can shlep for weeks in adults, who are less symptomatic while spreading the infection.

NurseK

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:56 am
Call your pediatrician's office. They will likely see you as the last patient of the day. It is most likely NOT measles if there was no fever. The measles rash breaks out on day 4 of high fever and is preceded by cough/runny nose/conjuctivitis.....
Did he have MMR vaccine a week to a week and a half ago? It can cause a measles mimicking rash within that time frame. It could really be a number of things but only a good history/physical exam will tell you...

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 10:19 am
I had that with one of my kids right before the summer and of course I panicked. I called in and they told me the fever comes out before the rash it's most likely not the measels. I wanted to be sure that it can't be the opposite way around. It turned out to be something viral and went away after a few days.

mlc

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 11:10 am
My kid just had same thing, turned out to be fifth disease. Looked horrible so I didn’t take her on errands but didn’t bother her and went away on it’s own.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 1:54 pm
Rash is everywher but face.
No allergic reaction since he ate same thing as everyday.
Hate going to Dr. here in Israel. Either u cant get appt or you just get some random diagnosis

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:04 pm
Fifth disease is extremely dangerous in pregnant women. It can cause miscarriage, anemia, or heart failure. If you wouldn't go out with measles, you shouldn't go out with fifth disease. And if any pregnant women are invited to your house, you should let them know in advance.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:20 pm
My kids had really bad heat rashes a few weeks ago it went away after a few days.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:24 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Some of my grandchildren currently have hand-foot-mouth virus (also called fifth disease) and apparently it is going around Rockland. It isn't a good idea to expose pregnant women, according to the person that I spoke to at the Rockland county DOH but it is otherwise mainly a nuisance bug, at least here in the US. It takes around 10 days to entirely go away but can shlep for weeks in adults, who are less symptomatic while spreading the infection.

Hand foot and mouth aka Coxsackie is not the same as fifth disease. Two different viruses.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:35 pm
Measles doesn't start with a rash

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hate going to Dr. here in Israel. Either u cant get appt or you just get some random diagnosis

There r plenty of good family doctors in E"Y. If you don't get to the doctor please stay home until you find out if it's contagious .

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:10 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Hand foot and mouth aka Coxsackie is not the same as fifth disease. Two different viruses.

The lady at the DOH called it fifth disease but I am glad that it isn't dangerous for pregnant women, or is it?

ETA: all sites said that it's the same illness but the doctor did say that there was more than one strain of the illness.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:23 pm
southernbubby wrote:
The lady at the DOH called it fifth disease but I am glad that it isn't dangerous for pregnant women, or is it?

ETA: all sites said that it's the same illness but the doctor did say that there was more than one strain of the illness.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that they're the same. They're caused by two different viruses. Fifth disease is especially dangerous for pregnant women.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:47 pm
I'm not sure where you're seeing that they're the same. They're caused by two different viruses. Fifth disease is especially dangerous for pregnant women.

It doesn't matter what you have. If you even THINK you might have something, stay away from pregnant women!

If you were pregnant, you'd want the same consideration from others.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It doesn't matter what you have. If you even THINK you might have something, stay away from pregnant women!

If you were pregnant, you'd want the same consideration from others.

Obviously you don't want to knowingly expose anyone to anything. But yes, there is value in knowing what kind of virus it is. I'm pregnant and I can deal with getting Coxsackie, as unpleasant as it is. On the other hand if one of my kids had fifth disease I would probably take extreme measures to avoid contact.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Everywhere but face does not sound like measles, but rashes need to be checked by a doctor because they can be signs of serious illnesses, although they are usually benign and caused by viruses or allergies.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 5:57 pm

I googled the question but it they are two different viruses, what is the difference between the two?

ETA, they are both parvovirus but the rash is different. The DOH lady said that they are the same.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 6:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Baby has a measles like rash. No fever.
My mum claims its sweat pimples or whatever theyy called and dont have to go to dr.
He is feeling perfectly fine.
What could it be.

No fever means no measles or roseola.

That said I would keep her home as much as possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics