Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Nursery in hospital
Previous  1  2

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 12:40 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
These days the default is to have the baby stay in the room with mama, and nursery is only by request, and with a good reason. It is also dependent on how much space is available.

If you have a C-section or other complications, you usually have your mom stay in the room with you, or an older sister, younger aunt, anyone who can help you out when the nurses are busy in other rooms.

When DD was born, her birth mom had an emergency C-section, and a post op infection that kept her in bed for 5 days. She could barely move.

I stayed with her the whole time, nursing DD, changing diapers, swaddling, talking to doctors. Every time a shift changed the poor nurses were as confused as all heck!

The birth mom pointed to me (while I'm nursing DD) and said "Oh, I had the baby, but SHE is the mother!" We ended up having to post a sign on the recovery room door that said "ADOPTION" to avoid any more awkward conversations.

I see this forum is not amother enabled so I will keep identifying details to a minimum. I've had more than one C-section and have had both shared and private rooms. I've never had anyone stay overnight to help me. I was happy to have my babies with me during the day and just as happy to send them to the nursery at night so I could get some much needed sleep, even though that was broken up by nurses checking my vitals and bringing the baby for nursing. (Why they can't do both at the same time is a rant for another thread.)

I was grateful for visitors who came for a short while but I didn't want anyone hovering around the whole time. I just wanted to bond with my baby and rest for a couple of days before heading back home to the usual hullabaloo. I can't be the only one either, because I've never heard of friends or family having guests other than maybe DH stay overnight. And even those who have their husbands stay, that's usually only for a first child or over a Shabbos. Usually the DH goes home to take care of the other kids since in my circles we keep the kids home and family and friends pitch in to help with meals and carpool.

mig100

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 12:48 pm
baby12x wrote:
I'd rather pay $0 for the entire birth and hospital stay and shell out a few cents for a diaper then pay at minimum a few thousand for a birth and get free diapers.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If that's your argument against socialized medicine its pretty weak

ummm.. no kidding- yeah id also rather pay for a few diapers than the (tens of ) thousands I am paying for premuims and deductibles.

now we have the best of both worlds- unaffordable premiums and medical bills and barely a diaper gets covered TMI

to clarify- my arguemnt against socilized medicine was not that they dont provide enough diapers. id agree if that was my argument- I agree its pretty week.

the lack of nurseries is the least of the problems with socilized medicine. I am much more concerned about the care being provided for the sick and elderly.

I only brought in socilized medicine into this discussion- as A TRIVIAL EXAMPLE of how the system is far from perfect and far from the care that we are used to here in america.

having said that lets get back to conversation at hand- and feel free to pm me if you want to comment on socilized medicine/ obacmacare. this is off topic Laugh
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics