Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Tubby - Advice needed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 2:44 pm
I know there have been posts already about this, but not specific camps. Each camp has different needs. My seventh grader is going to Tubby for the first time. I know it's a Yeshivish camp so things like funky nail polish and tutus are probably out. What about those camping chairs that everybody is talking about?What should she/shouldn't she be bringing that we won't find on the camp list. Anything else we should know about this camp?

Thank you,
An anxious mother

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:56 pm
Universal at all girls camps, the girls appreciate a camp chair, pictures or collage to hang by bed, throw pillow or something fun like that for bed or autograph pillow or blank pillow case for girls to sign before camp ends, nosh container, under bed drawer container...
Natives are very useful as are slides (jelly slippers) or any kind.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 3:59 pm
Camp Tubby? Surprised

Is this like a frum weight loss camp for teens? It doesn't sound very nice.

They really need to get a new name.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Camp Tubby? Surprised

Is this like a frum weight loss camp for teens? It doesn't sound very nice.

They really need to get a new name.

The camp is over 35 yrs old. Originally the camp was owned by a non jewish camp that was for chubby people who went to lose weight. Then frum owners purchased the camp decades ago and left the original name and sign that hangs in front of the gates.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:08 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The camp is over 35 yrs old. Originally the camp was owned by a non jewish camp that was for chubby people who went to lose weight. Then frum owners purchased the camp decades ago and left the original name and sign that hangs in front of the gates.

That's unreal. I never knew that bit of information! I always assumed it was some sort of Yiddish name.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:09 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

Oh wow, I had no idea! Were they just too cheap to buy a new sign?

As a teenage girl, I would be horrified to be sent to a camp with that name (unless every single girl I knew went there as well, and I could be sure I wouldn't be teased about it later.)

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:10 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

That’s really the story??
I went there for years and had no idea!!

Esther16

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:11 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

I was a camper there for 10 years and never heard that story/explanation. The full name of the camp is "Tichon Bais Yaakov" and the acronym is TBY, so they just added the "U" to make it a "word". Their letterhead even spells it Tuby (not with 2 b's, like the word for fat).

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:24 pm
cnc wrote:
That’s really the story??
I went there for years and had no idea!!

Thats the story I was told when I was a teen. I cant remember who told me this.

momsrus

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:28 pm
Esther16 wrote:
I was a camper there for 10 years and never heard that story/explanation. The full name of the camp is "Tichon Bais Yaakov" and the acronym is TBY, so they just added the "U" to make it a "word". Their letterhead even spells it Tuby (not with 2 b's, like the word for fat).

This makes more sense

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:29 pm
"Tichon Bais Yaakov"

MUCH BETTER! That sounds much more eidel.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Universal at all girls camps, the girls appreciate a camp chair, pictures or collage to hang by bed, throw pillow or something fun like that for bed or autograph pillow or blank pillow case for girls to sign before camp ends, nosh container, under bed drawer container...
Natives are very useful as are slides (jelly slippers) or any kind.

What on earth is a camp chair? And how sure are you that this is universal? Same with under the bed drawer container, throw pillow... I have never heard of these things that you call universal. Blank pillow to sigh - I’ll give you that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:32 pm
Back to the original question...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:44 pm
watergirl wrote:
What on earth is a camp chair? And how sure are you that this is universal? Same with under the bed drawer container, throw pillow... I have never heard of these things that you call universal. Blank pillow to sigh - I’ll give you that.

For those who want to send little extras to camp, these are items that are universally appreciated in camp by young girls. This is a good place to start but feel free to disregard if you're not looking to send extras.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza.....23758

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 4:48 pm
Esther16 wrote:

This. I also went for many years and never heard anything about thunderstorms version. It's well known among campers that the camp name is Tichon Bais Yaakov, and they use the initials TBY sometimes too. Tubby is just a nickname, and anyone familiar with the camp scene in those circles knows that it's a regular camp.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 8:36 pm
The camp was never a weight loss camp , non-Jewish or other. Before the Garber family purchased it and it became Tichon Bais Yaakov, it was a resort hotel called Hotel Salhara- the name was a combination of the owners' names, Sally and Harry. Sally and Harry lived in a house next door to the camp for many years.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:25 pm
The first year that my daughter went to Tubby she didn't bring plastic storage drawers, and she was one of the only ones in the bunk. The next year she brought them.

(2 and 3 years ago)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:49 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
The first year that my daughter went to Tubby she didn't bring plastic storage drawers, and she was one of the only ones in the bunk. The next year she brought them.

(2 and 3 years ago)

We send to a different camp, but I'm wondering if you can measure the height of the plastic drawer so I can know how much space is generally available under the beds? My estimation is the 12" set and I'm wondering if that's accurate or if there's more room than that.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 9:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We send to a different camp, but I'm wondering if you can measure the height of the plastic drawer so I can know how much space is generally available under the beds? My estimation is the 12" set and I'm wondering if that's accurate or if there's more room than that.

My dd is not in tubby but in her camp
The drawers are put in between the beds. There are two girls in dad bunk that don’t have drawers

We also sent the chair and signing pillow.

sra

Post Mon, Jul 15 2019, 11:06 pm
second for Tichon Bais Yaakov
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children