Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Period and water park - ASAP
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:28 am
ectomorph wrote:
Frum girls don't generally use tampons. Tell her not to go in the water.

There's a lot of us here who beg to differ. I did, my dd's do. When I was a teen in a frum sleepaway camp, the night before an amazing rafting trip, there were tampon lessons being given to numerous girls who needed them.

That being said, if she doesn't want to use a tampon, then she can stay out. But if she's at day camp vs sleepaway, she might want to stay home.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:44 am
ectomorph wrote:
What people do is not go in the water. Just hang around schmoozing. It isn't complicated.

Her daughter clearly wants to go in he water. Who wouldn’t? Not only because it’s fun but she may be self conscious (assuming others will know she has her period, which is a big deal when you’re a teen) Why should she have to sit on the sidelines when there’s a perfectly easy solution

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:51 am
ectomorph wrote:

Im a Boro Park 50 year old. Bais Yakov graduate. Chassidish. I used tampons all during my teenage single years and beyond. I was a heavy bleeder and the tampons were a lifesaver. I hated using pads when I was postpartum. My holocaust survivor older mom had no idea what tampons were (she had used pads with sanitary belts and was post menopausal by the time I started my period) so we called the Debrecener rov and he said it was no problem. This goes back to the 1980s. I highly doubt halacha has changed

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 7:52 am
ectomorph wrote:

Lol.
What?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:20 am
My teenage daughter and her very right wing BY girl friends all wear tampons to swim when they need to. I, personally never did but I hated swimming so welcomed the excuse to get out of it LOL

lcraighten

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:23 am
ectomorph wrote:

What?! Since when? All my friends used them and they are 100% frum Bais Yaakov girls

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:55 am
I went to Yeshiva of Brooklyn (ultra yeshivish) and was handed a box of tampons when I got my period at age 12. To the posters claiming frum girls don't do this, do you have experience as a frum adolescent, and in which community?

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:58 am
ectomorph wrote:
Frum girls don't generally use tampons.

Uh oh. Someone needs to tell all those frum girls that are using them.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:15 am
ectomorph wrote:

Ugh.

Plenty of frum girls wear tampons.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:20 am
My niece's new step-Mom gained my eternal respect when, the morning of her waterpark trip, she saw her crying, got to the bottom of the issue, and showed her how to use a tampon.

Ectomorph, not all girls are happy sitting around and shmoozing when everyone is having fun on water rides. It's not complicated. My daughter goes to daycamp for a whole month just so she can go on the trips, and the waterpark one is a make-it-or-break-it for her. She would be miserable if she had to sit around. If she would get her period, you can bet I'd give her a tampon.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:22 am
Just to put it out there for those interested, a menstrual cup works much better for swimming, sports and daily life. I use a Diva cup which you can pick up at Target. It requires a little more knowledge of your body and has a steeper learning curve. My life has been changed. I've been using one for about 13 years now.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:24 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Just to put it out there for those interested, a menstrual cup works much better for swimming, sports and daily life. I use a Diva cup which you can pick up at Target. It requires a little more knowledge of your body and has a steeper learning curve. My life has been changed. I've been using one for about 13 years now.

I would suggest it, but the evening before a big trip is not the best time to try one. I love my cup too.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:30 am
I am not sheltered at all but I only really was able to use a tampon after marriage. I had a strange shaped h-men, which is not as uncommon as you may think. I actually had to have it removed by an ob-gyn before I was able to consummate my marriage. When I once put a tampon in as a single it would not come out and was very traumatic. I personally would save it for after marriage for this reason.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:44 am
Please teach your daughter how to use it. I never did (because I was scared it wouldn't come out) and I really wanted to become a lifeguard but I was nervous of what would happen if I'd get my period.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:05 am
Using a tampon is tantamount to having Zex. If your teenage daughter uses a tampon she will not be betulah and cannot marry a Kohen. It is also a slippery slope as she will hang out with a bad crowd, use drugs, and stop dressing Tnius. Just don't do it!!!

I am kidding for anyone who couldn't tell. LOL

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:08 am
ectomorph wrote:

This is just not true. However, I am genuinely curious where you got this information from? 🤔

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:10 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Using a tampon is tantamount to having Zex. If your teenage daughter uses a tampon she will not be betulah and cannot marry a Kohen. It is also a slippery slope as she will hang out with a bad crowd, use drugs, and stop dressing Tnius. Just don't do it!!!

I am kidding for anyone who couldn't tell. LOL

Jokes aside, do you think this is the kind of misinformation that is being passed around to frum girls?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Please teach your daughter how to use it. I never did (because I was scared it wouldn't come out) and I really wanted to become a lifeguard but I was nervous of what would happen if I'd get my period.

THIS. I had many jobs as a lifeguard and later as a WSI. I am grateful that I was a stubborn teen who insisted that I wore tampons from the get go because of swimming. I did so despite my mother being not so keen (although supportive once I made my choice). I learned from trial and error more than the diagrams/instructions in the box so it is also perfectly ok IMHO to let DDs figure it out on their own.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:17 am
ectomorph wrote:

I'm actually rolling LOL

Can you elaborate?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I am not sheltered at all but I only really was able to use a tampon after marriage. I had a strange shaped h-men, which is not as uncommon as you may think. I actually had to have it removed by an ob-gyn before I was able to consummate my marriage. When I once put a tampon in as a single it would not come out and was very traumatic. I personally would save it for after marriage for this reason.

Sorry for this. However, yours was an atypical situation and I don’t think people should dissuade their girls from using tampons. Applicator tampons make this easier for girls who are not yet comfortable enough with the non-applicator types. The teen ones are very slim and will not normally interfere with the hymen at all.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children