Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Period and water park - ASAP
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:20 am
This myth may come from the fact that there are frum mothers who don’t talk and educate their daughters about periods and how to handle them. If my mother showed me how to use a tampon I would’ve tried it. The fact is when it came time to do the bedikas before my wedding I didn’t know where to insert the cloth. My mother told me put it where you put a tampon....well, I never used one ! My younger sister did . She had heavy periods and my mother showed her how. I was left clueless in the dark and thought only married women use them for the most part. It took me a few years after marriage (once I was VERY familiar with my body) to try them.
So it’s probably the girls that don’t “talk” about it or are made to feel “ashamed” to have their period that feel its for married women.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Just to put it out there for those interested, a menstrual cup works much better for swimming, sports and daily life. I use a Diva cup which you can pick up at Target. It requires a little more knowledge of your body and has a steeper learning curve. My life has been changed. I've been using one for about 13 years now.

I love the cup too and switched a few years ago after lifelong tampon usage. I wouldn’t say it works better for swimming than tampons, I have found them equally good. However, it is definitely nicer with a cup not to have a dangling string! 🤣

However, I am not sure how it would work for a virgin although they make smaller cups for women who haven’t had babies. I do agree with the poster who says a day before a trip is not necessarily a good time to start learning the cup! A tampon should be ok though.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
This myth may come from the fact that there are frum mothers who don’t talk and educate their daughters about periods and how to handle them. If my mother showed me how to use a tampon I would’ve tried it. The fact is when it came time to do the bedikas before my wedding I didn’t know where to insert the cloth. My mother told me put it where you put a tampon....well, I never used one ! My younger sister did . She had heavy periods and my mother showed her how. I was left clueless in the dark and thought only married women use them for the most part. It took me a few years after marriage (once I was VERY familiar with my body) to try them.
So it’s probably the girls that don’t “talk” about it or are made to feel “ashamed” to have their period that feel its for married women.

So it is our job to make sure our DDs don’t feel like this. And if we have a DD who needs to go on a water trip with her period, it seems a sensible time to help her feel comfortable using a tampon!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
There's a lot of us here who beg to differ. I did, my dd's do. When I was a teen in a frum sleepaway camp, the night before an amazing rafting trip, there were tampon lessons being given to numerous girls who needed them.

That being said, if she doesn't want to use a tampon, then she can stay out. But if she's at day camp vs sleepaway, she might want to stay home.

Tampon lessons? That sounds cool. Who gave those?

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:30 am
My mother wasn't frum, but she scared me about tss and I never used tampons until I was married 9 years. I was having a hard time getting clean and going to the mikvah on time and tampons were recommended. Let your daughters know the importance of changing them frequently, but don't scare them. I'm not sure what I did about swimming, except I probably never went especially because it wasn't separate.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:31 am
ectomorph wrote:
What people do is not go in the water. Just hang around schmoozing. It isn't complicated.

But it is boring for someone who loves the water. Also, if you are a water-loving girl who is hanging out of the water, you are basically advertising that you have your period. Tznius issues aside, what teen girl wouldn’t get embarrassed by that?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Sorry for this. However, yours was an atypical situation and I don’t think people should dissuade their girls from using tampons. Applicator tampons make this easier for girls who are not yet comfortable enough with the non-applicator types. The teen ones are very slim and will not normally interfere with the hymen at all.

I personally always found applicator tampons much more difficult to use. In fact, I found it easier to use a menstrual cup the first time I tried one than an applicator tampon.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:35 am
I agree with teaching your daughters to use tampons, but I just want to point out that it is not the whole solution for swimming. I've had leakage (yes I'm an experienced tampon user and know how to insert it correctly....) and that might be uncomfortable for her as well.

pause

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:36 am
I don't care to say this under my screen name. I've been using tampons to go swimming in camp/bungalow colony/trips ever since I got my period as a teenager. I am (and always was) chassidish.

I am forever thankful to my mother for not having these crazy ideas re "frum girls" and tampons and for giving me this option since the beginning and throughout my teenage years.

Last edited by pause on Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:37 am
WhatFor wrote:
I sometimes have to wonder if some of these amothers are men... But for anyone who has no experience with a sanitary pad, please just dunk one in a sink full of water, stick it on your underwear, walk around for five hours and come back and let us all know how that feels.

I need to say this. I like you! My first laugh of the day!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:40 am
DO NOT send her with a pad!! That is very narrowminded thinking! It's absolutely disgusting to have her menstral blood diluted into a water park!

What other gross people do is not your business! You do the right thing. Tampon or dont go!

Btw everyone, I mean everyone, is okay with tampons. Find me a dayan who says no and ill tell you not to speak to those Lev Tahor cult members.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:41 am
pause wrote:
I don't care to say this under my screen name. I've been using tampons to go swimming in camp/bungalow colony/trips ever since I got my period as a teenager. I am (and always was) chassidish.

I am forever thankful to my mother for not having these crazy ideas re "frum girls" and tampons and for giving me this option since the beginning and throughout my teenage years.

How is this related to chasidish? Just curious. Are your bodies created differently?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I personally always found applicator tampons much more difficult to use. In fact, I found it easier to use a menstrual cup the first time I tried one than an applicator tampon.

I actually also preferred to use the non-applicator tampons ans found them easier and now use the cup. I did, however suggest applicator tampons as some girls initially find it easier. I gave both types to my DDs and let them find what they like best.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I agree with teaching your daughters to use tampons, but I just want to point out that it is not the whole solution for swimming. I've had leakage (yes I'm an experienced tampon user and know how to insert it correctly....) and that might be uncomfortable for her as well.

If you leaked when swimming then you maybe didn’t change it just before you went in or were not using a high enough absorbency. This is definitely not usual.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:46 am
If she's concerned about leaking with a tampon, she can use a tampon together with a period swimsuit.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Sorry for this. However, yours was an atypical situation and I don’t think people should dissuade their girls from using tampons. Applicator tampons make this easier for girls who are not yet comfortable enough with the non-applicator types. The teen ones are very slim and will not normally interfere with the hymen at all.

It is not so uncommon. its around 20 percent of women Fyi. and because of the fact that it was stuck that one time I was terrified to have my husband penetrate and it led to me tightening up and as I said we were not able to consummate for a while.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:46 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Tampon lessons? That sounds cool. Who gave those?

lol. she means the girls who already know talking the other girls through it. This happens in camps and seminaries all the time.

Frenchfry

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:51 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
If she's concerned about leaking with a tampon, she can use a tampon together with a period swimsuit.
[b]

What's that?

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:56 am
Frenchfry wrote:

What's that?

It's a swimsuit with built in absorbency that is supposed to allow swimming without a tampon, and can be used as a backup in case of leaks.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 12:19 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
lol. she means the girls who already know talking the other girls through it. This happens in camps and seminaries all the time.

Oh, I was envisaging a Madricha with rolled up sleeves, gloves, a bunch of tampons and a whiteboard and pen to draw anatomical diagrams. 🤣
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children