Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Optometrist VS ophthalmologist

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 1:58 pm
My son started wearing glasses about 6 months ago. He's been seeing the ophthalmologist the pediatrician referred him too. I have no problems with her, but she's a little out of the way and it's hard to schedule appointments. My son's best friend's mom is an optometrist, which I hadn't thought of at the time of the pediatrician's referral. I think I'd like to switch to using her, office is closer and she's familiar to us. My son's case is not particularly complicated. He's farsighted and has a slight lazy eye. I don't think there'd be a difference in cost, insurance covers either way. And again, I'm happy with the ophthalmologist, I'm only considering switching because of convenience and familiarity. Is there a reason to stick with the MD over the OD? What's the difference? Thanks.

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 2:03 pm
The basic difference is that MD can do surgery and od cannot. For me it's more about a doctor who understands the child's case and diagnoses correctly vs a specific title.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 3:32 pm
Go for it. An optometrist is good for most eye care, and for some things like fitting contact lenses is even better because s/he does that more often than an ophthalmologist. A reputable OD will know when to refer you to an ophthalmologist.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 3:56 pm
Optometrists are actually a better choice for vision issues that don't involve eye muscles. They have better training prescribing glasses, vs opthalmologists who are essentially surgeons for eye muscle issues. If the optometrist is trained in developmental or functional vision issues, and/or vision therapy, that's a huge bonus. We switched from an opthalmologist to a developmental optometrist for the same issues -- farsighted and amblyopia and are very satisfied with the care we've been getting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics